Nutrition: Lions,scorps, and others

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed it frozen.
I just break off a chunk and drop it in.
He comes up and eats it whole.

He knows when I'm going to feed him. He can see me in the kitchen at the freezer getting the food. Whenever he sees me at the freezer he keeps an eye on me and he knows what the bag of food looks like.

He does the same with Frozen cubes from the pet shop.
I drop it in and he just eats the whole cube Frozen.
Okay I didn't realize you can feed food that is still frozen. I may have to try this.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Do you feed it to the lion frozen? I am worried about it breaking apart and going everywhere once thawed out. I don't have any other fish to pick on the scaps, just the lion.

You could bind the ingredients with a gelatin, like the Ocean Nutrition cubes. I've fed my volitans defrosted cubes of formula one and trigger formula.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inwould have to argue with you about the being happy part, not sure how eating frozen cubes of food would lead to happiness.
It's a cold blooded animal. Hot food would make him unhappy.
The food thaws within the first minute or two. Thaws even quicker once he shallows it.

All the fish eat the food frozen when you drop a frozen cube of food in the tank. They Chase it around and eat till its gone.
Lionfish just eat the whole thing at once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a cold blooded animal. Hot food would make him unhappy.
The food thaws within the first minute or two. Thaws even quicker once he shallows it.

All the fish eat the food frozen when you drop a frozen cube of food in the tank. They Chad it around and eat till its gone.
Lionfish just eat the whole thing at once.

I forgot the fish and shrimp in the ocean he came from was frozen. In a glass cage eating frozen chunks, what a life.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lion msy eat those frozen cubes, but some will just regurgitate it. Its really not the best to feed frozen food.

My lionfish has been eating frozen food whole while still frozen for the past 7 years.
He's good with it. He does not regurgitate it.
He just eats it and keeps it moving.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a different way of caring my pets.
I think you're looking at this from more of a human perspective. When I feed mine live fish he eats it instantly just like when I feed him dead. I don't think it is any more pleasurable to him to hunt for an extra second. He has a need for food and it is met. I also don't think you should discourage people from using quality Frozen food. It will help a lot of people out and get them to feed some quality food. I am okay with pointing out the frozen food needs to be quality Frozen. But if fresh works, the fact is, quality Frozen of the same species will work just aswell.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish hunter keep an eye on that eye. From what I can see, whatever happened seems tto have healed. But I do remember reading that a hole in the cornea can allow bacteria to enter and cause a bacterial infection. Optimum water conditions a plus

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're looking at this from more of a human perspective. When I feed mine live fish he eats it instantly just like when I feed him dead. I don't think it is any more pleasurable to him to hunt for an extra second. He has a need for food and it is met. I also don't think you should discourage people from using quality Frozen food. It will help a lot of people out and get them to feed some quality food. I am okay with pointing out the frozen food needs to be quality Frozen. But if fresh works, the fact is, quality Frozen of the same species will work just aswell.

So you also feed live.

I'm just giving my perspective, it's up to each individual to do their own research and decide whats best.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you also feed live.

I'm just giving my perspective, it's up to each individual to do their own research and decide whats best.
I fed live for 2 days to switch him to Frozen. I pick up ghost shrimp when I can but do not have the means to keep them alive longterm. I will keep an eye on that eye with some optimism that it continues to not bother him. It really is the strangest thing. A perfectly spherical 3 dimensional white/ clearish ball in the center of the inside of his eye.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last volitan came from a friend's tank, collectively we kept him about 12 years. He was about 5" when he came in, and was about 13" when he died. He ate krill, human grade krill I got from the Asian market, it's not the same as the lfs and it was fed very sparingly. He also ate frozen, but he also got his share of fresh. I eat fresh seafood, so it's easy for me to include it in my lion's diet. An elixir that I highly recommend is fresh fatty fish, salmon and even tuna if you don't mind the expense. He also got cubes of Ocean Nutrition formula one and trigger formula. I occasionally pellet stuffed chunks of seafood. I gave him a combo with I'd say about half of his diet including fresh. I had no problem getting 3 shrimp, 5 clams, 3 mussels, and a squid from the seafood counter. I currently have 5 lions and 5 scorpionfish, no volitans at the moment.

You take a little from this guy, and a little from guy, and find out what works for you. This is what works for me.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't do this and allow each person to do their own reaearch. But I quickly found this to illustrate what I am talking about, when it comes to frozen food, and the operative phrase is always "properly". Check out the shelf life. I guarantee most of what you are feeding your fish is well beyond the shelf life. If you decide to dig a little deeper on your own, you'll find more info on what happens to frozen food over time and what happens through the transport and storing.

Should You Avoid Frozen Fish If You Want Good-Quality, Nutritious Seafood? - Nutrition Action

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back