Nuvo 10 Auto Aqua AWC Suggestions/Help

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys hope everyone is doing fine. I have installed a awc system on my nuvo 10, and sadly I have realized a true 20-50% water change is not possible without installing 1 pump within the tank. I currently have it in the back hidden by rock. However it is still kind of a eye sore. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this look more unobtrusive. I have thought about using hard 3/4 pvc so atleast the plumbing in the tank doesnt bend etc. I really love the idea of just pushing a button, and my weekly maintenance is done. who would not? Anyway at this point I am rambling. Any thoughts,suggestions, and or help would be amazing.

20191019_072736.jpg 20191019_072741.jpg 20191019_072749.jpg 20191019_072828.jpg 20191019_073512.jpg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely obtrusive. For a tank that small I would rather do manuel water changes then have that in the tank.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is that you can not put it in the middle chamber as it will not allow you to drain water from the main tank. if you put it in the middle chamber. all it will do is drain the first, and second chamber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely obtrusive. For a tank that small I would rather do manuel water changes then have that in the tank.
.....yes it is.... that is why I am asking for suggestions on what to do about it. I do not want to do "manual" water changes at all times.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could if you REALLY wanted to, take the tank down, and drill a hole near the bottom on the back panel between the display and AIO section and install a 1/4" RODI bulkhead then connect your tubing to it from the inside of the AIO chamber. It would be costly and difficult but doable, you would need a glass bit to get through the back panel though...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it matter if it’s draining from the middle chamber or the display? It’s the same water.

The issue is volume. The back chamber two sections only holds about .75 of a gallon. If you want to do something larger than a 7.5ish % water change the tube HAS to be in the display.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it matter if it’s draining from the middle chamber or the display? It’s the same water.
I mean can I put it in the middle chamber? am I missing something? It is a nuvo 10. You have the weir. the water overflows into the weir via the return pump into the first chamber, and into the second, and into the third. Once the pump drains the back. it will not be able to drain water from the main display?

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could if you REALLY wanted to, take the tank down, and drill a hole near the bottom on the back panel between the display and AIO section and install a 1/4" RODI bulkhead then connect your tubing to it from the inside of the AIO chamber. It would be costly and difficult but doable, you would need a glass bit to get through the back panel though...
Haha now that would be intense >.< . Sadly I do not want to do that. I wonder if the machine will function without its drain pump connected. I could totally deal with siphoning out the water manual. However its so nice to have a heated, and ready volume of salt water so you can do a water change at any time. I love just pressing a button, and it does it. I tried it earlier, and it was just great.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha now that would be intense >.< . Sadly I do not want to do that. I wonder if the machine will function without its drain pump connected. I could totally deal with siphoning out the water manual. However its so nice to have a heated, and ready volume of salt water so you can do a water change at any time. I love just pressing a button, and it does it. I tried it earlier, and it was just great.

I'm not sure on functioning without the drain portion, BUT, there might be a slightly different way than I suggested. The Acrylic backing is actually higher than the glass portion on the main rear wall, you could drill as low as possible to the glass, I believe it's about 2 inches lower than the water height. Run black tubing through it and down the back wall. It will be noticeable but MUCH less than the current setup...

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on functioning without the drain portion, BUT, there might be a slightly different way than I suggested. The Acrylic backing is actually higher than the glass portion on the main rear wall, you could drill as low as possible to the glass, I believe it's about 2 inches lower than the water height. Run black tubing through it and down the back wall. It will be noticeable but MUCH less than the current setup...
I could do that with a regular bit as well as it is just acrylic, and I do not risk breaking glass. Is there anything else you could think of that maybe wouldnt require any drilling?

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup. The third chamber is “L” shaped. I have the awc drain pump in the way back of the third chamber. Works great.
No big whoop.

just do more frequent smaller percentage changes.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup. The third chamber is “L” shaped. I have the awc drain pump in the way back of the third chamber. Works great.
No big whoop.

just do more frequent smaller percentage changes.
can you explain to me how you set it up, and were you put the low level sensor? Also what does your water change schedule look like. I have a sicce .5 return pump, and I dont know if it will fit.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is volume. The back chamber two sections only holds about .75 of a gallon. If you want to do something larger than a 7.5ish % water change the tube HAS to be in the display.
Right, but it’s automated. Can’t you set it up to do multiple intervals throughout the day?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but it’s automated. Can’t you set it up to do multiple intervals throughout the day?

I agree I'm just merely going off the OPs desire to do a larger water change at one time. My Nuvo 10 is set up that way, I have a GHL 2.1 doing smaller WCs throughout the day.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure but multiple small water changes dont really do anything for nitrate reduction, and or nutrient export. it would be insanely inefficient.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I'm just merely going off the OPs desire to do a larger water change at one time. My Nuvo 10 is set up that way, I have a GHL 2.1 doing smaller WCs throughout the day.
ok so I mean you know ALOT more then me about saltwater. Can you please tell me how I should setup my nuvo 10. Should I place it in the 3rd chamber as mentioned above, and schedule multiples changes 1 day per week? I really dont know what I should be concerned about etc. What do you do?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I mean you know ALOT more then me about saltwater. Can you please tell me how I should setup my nuvo 10. Should I place it in the 3rd chamber as mentioned above, and schedule multiples changes 1 day per week? I really dont know what I should be concerned about etc. What do you do?

I do it the way @Tuffyyyyy has suggested, multiple WCs throughout the day, it's been found that the difference between the two is negligible so either one would work just fine. I would still put the line that pulls from the tank in the second chamber and do maybe a half gallon change, once a day. Should be more than enough for the 10

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it the way @Tuffyyyyy has suggested, multiple WCs throughout the day, it's been found that the difference between the two is negligible so either one would work just fine.
Do you take water from the second or third chamber? Also do you have it so that your return pump turns off during the change?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%

Back