Nuvo 10 Cycle Process with Fritz Turbo 900

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am switching to a smaller tank but starting completely over with this 10 gallon nuvo I purchased. I have a pair of clowns in my old tank along with a fire shrimp that i would like to move over to the 10 gallon. I added new live sand, real reef rock, matrix to my 3 tier caddy and filter floss at the top of it.

i usually don’t like to move too fast when cycling a tank but I gotta get rid of my other tank before I move. With that being said, I decided to add the Fritz Turbo 900 to my 10 gallon to speed up the process. It’s been exactly 7 days now and I’m having trouble getting me ammonia and nitrite to 0. They currently sit at 0.2

nitrate is at 5, phosphate is .12, salinity is 1.025, alk is 8.3, calcium is 450 and mag is 1450.

i ghost fed the tank only two times in the past 7 days as I was told to do so. I added spectrum pellets. Not a lot but just a small pinch.

Am I doing something wrong? I tested Nitrite and ammonia with the Red Sea test kit as I heard it was a better brand to test these parameters with. I usually use Hanna or salifert.

thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is not harmful to reef fishes in small amounts.
per Randy
The concentration of ammonia in the ocean varies substantially, from less than 0.002 ppm to as much as 0.7 ppm total NH4-N, but is usually very low in surface seawater (<0.02 ppmtotal NH4-N).

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies! I meant to share 0.2 nitrite and 0.2 ammonia
Nitrite is not harmful to reef fishes in small amounts.
per Randy
The concentration of ammonia in the ocean varies substantially, from less than 0.002 ppm to as much as 0.7 ppm total NH4-N, but is usually very low in surface seawater (<0.02 ppmtotal NH4

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked nitrate and phosphate. Nitrate shot up since Sunday as nitrate was at 5 and phosphate was at .12

I’m currently reading 25 nitrate and .10 phosphate.

would a water change right now be an issue or should i wait till both nitrite and ammonia hit zero before doing a 20% water change

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back