Nuvo 10 desk tank a.k.a. Keeping me sane while working from home

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not my first tank, been in the hobby for a while now, but decided to pull the trigger on my first build thread since somebody suggested it in another thread. Most of the set up is already done, but I figured I could continue to document the progress as the tank develops.

1.jpg

Here's where we're at currently. The leather isn't open in this pic from today but it seems to go in cycles like that. Ignore the glue on the back wall, the original attempt at sticking some GSP there didn't quite work out but it will get covered eventually.

Equipment:
  • IM Nuvo 10
  • Caribsea Life Rock (Wasn't sure about it at first, but it's definitely awesome rock to start with)
  • AI Prime HD
  • Aqueon 50w heater (Had it laying around so figured I'd use it, just recently ordered an Eheim Jager 75w which should be here soon)
  • IM Spin Stream
  • InTank Media Basket(Currently the only filtration is two nano packs of Chemipure Blue and filter floss)
  • AI Nero 3 (Still trying to get my settings dialed in for such a small tank, so if you have one and have a similar sized tank feel free to make some suggestions)
  • Amazon wall mounted lamp with grow bulb for the mangroves
  • XP Aqua Duetto ATO (Ordered and waiting on arrival)

Livestock:
  • Yellow banded possum wrasse
  • Geometric pygmy hawk
  • Tiger pistol shrimp
  • Bonded pair of Wheeler's goby
  • Tailspot blenny
  • Small/medium sized Derasa clam
  • Small aquacultured Squamosa clam
  • Three small rainbow BTA
  • a small conch and other misc. cleanup crew

Coral:
  • Neon green toadstool leather
  • Green nepthea
  • Single orange mushroom
  • More to come

I still need to figure out a final spot for the red mangroves that currently reside in the InTank media basket. Once they start to actually grow I may just let them root in the middle chamber where the heater is unless I can figure out a way to get them into the main tank(they need to do a lot of growing for that to happen though). Tinkering with the idea of upgrading the return pump if I can find a DC pump that will fit in the return chamber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone in the tank is as photogenic as Shelldon

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 62
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great, I have a similar set up and the same ATO. It was easily the best thing I did for my little tank.
I'm pleased with it. I swapped my other tank over to a duetto a while ago after having issues with a smart micro ato. My only real regret with this nano is not going a size up. The extra real estate from the 20 would be nice, but this fits perfectly on my desk without needing a separate stand.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new to report yet, hoping to be able to add some more coral after Christmas .

Some of the mangrove roots are ready to outgrow the InTank media basket, no flowers yet though.

Attachments

• 20201222_091836.jpg
    20201222_091836.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a surprise for Christmas. Unsure as of yet if I'll keep the Nuvo 10 running and just set this one up (would make 3 tanks) or if I'll just move everything over from the 10 and then gift that to somebody else. I do have a family member who would love a tank of their own.

In addition to that I also scored some AquaSD gift cards and a liveaquaria gift card...so all in all it was a pretty salty Christmas.

1608991037648.png

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the barnacle may I ask where you got it?

It's something I picked up at my LFS. They have all different sizes. Broke a piece off of the larger cluster I have in my other tank to give this little guy a hidey hole.

Looks like Amazon sells them too.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The P mini 25 has been up and running for about a week and a half now. Added some established bio media from one of my other tanks as well as a rock that's been in the Nuvo 10 since it was set up. Along with adding some Fritz turbo start the cycle seems to be done already.

I have a couple Biota Court Jester Gobies on the way that should be here tomorrow. Normally I'd hesitate picking those as the first fish going in, but everything I've read from @biotsays that they're eating prepared foods right from the start so I'm feeling confident.

As for equipment I swapped the Hydra 32 I had over the anemone tank out for the original Maspeth light I was using previously since the anemones seem to respond better to that. The Hydra is now over the P mini. Swapped out the stock return pump for a Jecod DCS1200 but not sure about it...I have it paired with a VCA random flow nozzle and it feels somewhat lacking. I'd like to get more flow through the sump area but pump options for the tank are severely limited. Most of the flow is coming from the Nero 3 and I'm currently debating adding one on the other side under the return line.

Attachments

• 20210117_134334.jpg
    20210117_134334.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210117_105507.jpg
    20210117_105507.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210117_105450.jpg
    20210117_105450.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210117_105425.jpg
    20210117_105425.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice..more tanks :)

Btw what is yr CUC numbers in the Nuvo 10? I am trying to figure out how much hermit or cerith or snails to get

I have a small conch (about an inch long), a single small emerald crab, 2 blue leg hermits and 3 nerite snails. There are also a couple small serpent stars in there somewhere. Every now and then I see the arms poking out from the rock.

I do need to order some more critters, noticing some algae building up after my screw up with my RODI system. I didn't realize my DI resin was depleted and haven't been using 0 TDS water for top off and water changes.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...had a couple fish on their way from @LiveAquaria that were going to head to the QT tank for observation when they showed up today...but apparently FedEx has lost them. Last check in was in Memphis at midnight then two "In Transit" updates a few hours later. No movement or updates since and the FedEx truck is always here by now.

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...had a couple fish on their way from @LiveAquaria that were going to head to the QT tank for observation when they showed up today...but apparently FedEx has lost them. Last check in was in Memphis at midnight then two "In Transit" updates a few hours later. No movement or updates since and the FedEx truck is always here by now.
hope it shows up somewhere soon!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back