OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, love your aquascape.
I just set up a nuvo 10 4 weeks ago today.
Who's this local guy with good frag prices and where did he post them? I'm in Brookpark.

Thanks and nice! Im over in Mayfield Heights. I got them from Frost Corals and he posted on the Northeast Ohio Saltwater & Reef page on facebook. He's over in Streetsboro. He had a holy grail torch frag that he was only asking $250 for. I wanted it bad, but I didn't want to spend most of my budget on one coral lol. He also had tons of zoas, rock flower nems, hammers, a good amount of torches and a few frogspawn/octospawn and a bunch of other stuff. Super nice guy too!

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw him at the Lear frag show, bought a meteor show and superman monti off him. They went into my Nuvo 10. here's some pictures. Just getting started stocking it.
DSC02682.JPG
DSC02683.JPG
DSC02687.JPG

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw him at the Lear frag show, bought a meteor show and superman monti off him. They went into my Nuvo 10. here's some pictures. Just getting started stocking it.
DSC02682.JPG
DSC02683.JPG
DSC02687.JPG

Your nuvo looks great! I like having sand, but seeing yours as a bare bottom has me questioning my sand lol

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I love how high level sps glaring in the pic above accompanies a questionable cycle sitch

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have corals. I put in a test frag of gold dust zoas last weekend and they survived the test. Since I have tons of those, I pulled it out and put it back on the frag rack in my 40 and added 9 different zoa frags. I'm not sure on all of the names but the ones I know are the following

Utter chaos
Purple people eater
Vamps in drag
Funny d
Bam bams

I cant recall what the other 4 are named, but maybe yall could help me out?

Right now they're on the sandbed getting used to the tank, but I will be mounting them soon.
20200405_124104.jpg

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued my zoas to the rockwork over the weekend and added a duncan to test the feasibility of LPS in this system. My zoas are slowly opening back up and were pretty angry for a while, but the duncan is looking real happy.

I've also added a coralbox wf-01 doser and container with tropic marin all for reef. Probably not necessary at this time, but I have seen steady alkalinity consumption.

My pink streaked wrasse is still pretty shy, but I am seeing more of her during feeding time. Hopefully she starts coming out more. I'm also still looking for a tailspot blenny, but am also considering other options. Any suggestions?

Here's a short clip of the tank as of right now. I look forward to any questions or comments and thanks for following!

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I last updated this thread. Since my last update in April, I've made a few additions, changes, had dinos and beat dinos. Pinky the wrasse is becoming more bold and has allowed me to take a few pictures of her as well.

I glued my zoas to the rock work shortly after my last post and had ok growth with them with the kessil A80, but noticed some zoas near the bottom reaching for light. I stuck it out for a few months but ultimately got tired of dealing with the gooseneck. I could never keep it level and close to the surface. So when a Prime HD (gen2) with mounting arm was posted on the local fb reef page for $135, I jumped on it. The reason I went for a gen 2 is because my 20 long frag tank has 2 of them already and eventually when I upgrade from my 40B, ill have 3 gen2 primes to put over it.

I noticed much better coverage and checked the par with the seneye. Its pretty much 175-300ish par through the entire tank running the BRS AB+ setting. I can add sps now if I choose.

Speaking of additions, I've added a bi-color hammer, purple frogspawn, 2 hybrid euphillia (no clue here) an acan, a mushroom, a leather, some green star polyps and pink star polyps on the back wall, firecracker clove polyps and a few zoas. Some are on the rocks, others on a frag rack or sand bed to grow out before I put them on the rock. Ive also added a yasha goby and pistol shrimp. I honestly wasn't sure if the yasha survived until I saw it yesterday for the first time since I added it a month ago.

Lastly I had a dino outbreak a few weeks ago. Checked my nitrates and they were around 20. Checked my phosphates with my hanna ulr checker and they read 0.01, or within the 0.02 margin of error. A uv sterilizer was added and ran from 7pm to 7am, the tank was blacked out for 72 hours and I dosed dr tims refresh at 7am for the black out. I also dosed fish of hex po4 at 0.2ml at 7am and 7pm. Once I uncovered the tank, I switched to Dr tims waste away and maintained my po4 dosing. Its been about a week or so without the uv and things are looking good. Po4 is sitting at 0.08 and nitrates are around 10 or so. Im changing filter floss once a week and doing a weekly water change of 2 gallons.

20200830_131537.jpg
20200830_131502.jpg
20200830_200915.jpg
20200830_201121.jpg
20200820_202342.jpg

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry that it took this long to respond. The tank did well, but eventually pandemic induced depression got the better of me, so I decided to ease the maintenance burden by moving everything into my 40B (which will get an update and has a lot of changes since my last post.) Here's how it turned out shortly before I tore down the nuvo

20210619_192138.jpg
20210619_192048.jpg

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said, I should probably change the title to 4th times a charm LOL. I pulled the prior aquascape out for a citric acid bath and curing later on down the road, cleaned all equipment and put it back on my desk. For this go around, I'm going to try my hand at a NSA or HNSA. Ordered 2 small base rocks and a couple 9lb bags of Marco rock frags. We'll see what happens. I don't want to build it any higher than about 8 inches I think.

The goal will be the same, a low maintenance softy/LPS garden with lots of movement. To that end, I ordered an ultimate nano dual 1/4 rfg kit and am finally getting around to replacing the broken 16mm drop connector lol. I'm going to kive the kessil a80 another try. I think the issue I had on the bottom right corner with reaching zoas was due to the big old 1/2 rfg shadowing that corner. I stuck my seneye in there tonight and saw that I get about 50 par in the corners, 70 in the center on thr glass with no water. Should be enough for mushrooms or other similar low light corals. I will also be cognizant of shadowing when putting together the NSA. If all else fails, I can throw the prime back on, though the last time I did that, I ended up having to dose due to the insane coraline growth. I think I'll go for a 1/2 inch deep sand bed this time, but I'm still up in the air on that or going barebottom. I like the look of sand, I just don't like creating dunes with aforementioned sand.

Anyways, rocks and other goodies should be here in time for the weekend. More to come!
20221205_175321.jpg
20221205_175608.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks and a such arrived today. I picked up 2x 9lb bags of Marco rocks frag rocks, 2 small flat cut rock bases and the necessary glues and cement to build an NSA. Looking over the contents of the Marco rocks frag bags, I think I can return the two flat cut small bases. There's plenty of smaller pieces that are flat cut. There's also some that looks like they were stax rocks, some shelf rock and lastly a little bit of rubble. Pretty good mix to play with here. What do you think?
20221208_172651.jpg

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First attempt at an HNSA and I can say in such a small space, it's difficult. I did leave enough room for my flipper nano to scrape the glass while trying to maximize surface area for mounting coral. Let me know what you all think. I could really use some input before I start cementing rocks together. Thank you!

Front view
20221210_010213.jpg

Side view
20221210_010222.jpg

view from my seat at the desk
20221210_010159.jpg

Back