Nuvo 10 Gallon with Fritz Turbo 900

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am switching to a smaller tank but starting completely over with this 10 gallon nuvo I purchased. I have a pair of clowns in my old tank along with a fire shrimp that i would like to move over to the 10 gallon. I added new live sand, real reef rock, matrix to my 3 tier caddy and filter floss at the top of it.

i usually don’t like to move too fast when cycling a tank but I gotta get rid of my other tank before I move. With that being said, I decided to add the Fritz Turbo 900 to my 10 gallon to speed up the process. It’s been exactly 7 days now and I’m having trouble getting me ammonia and nitrite to 0. They currently sit at 0.2

nitrate have sent up since last Sunday from 5 to 25 and phosphate when down from .12 to .10
salinity is 1.025, alk is 8.3, calcium is 450 and mag is 1450.

i ghost fed the tank 3 times in the past 7 days as I was told to do so. I added spectrum pellets. Not a lot but just a small pinch.

Am I doing something wrong? I tested Nitrite and ammonia with the Red Sea test kit as I heard it was a better brand to test these parameters with. I usually use Hanna or salifert. Lastly, should I do a water change right now or wait till they hit 0 to bring the nitrate down

thanks for the feedback!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you do is a large water change and begin

here is the exact analog to your issue, but solved with one water change

you have met the submersion time for Fritz and then some

nitrite no longer factors in updated cycling science

and your ammonia test isn’t seneye / your cycle is ok

if you were reading nh3 digitally vs total ammonia by color compare, ammonia would report drastically different

your issue is exactly that thread. you don’t have to run the calibrated ammonia test, Fritz is fine at seven days and no I don’t think your Fritz is dead bacteria, I think it’s live bacteria and going to follow what happened in that link. Your new tank is surface area is plenty. Bacteria so powerful you can add the fish on day one was added and fed, seven days ago. There isn’t a time that wouldn’t be cycled. Nitrite is neutral it simply doesn’t matter one way or another. You paid actually for a quicker start date, you’re set.

the way updated cycling science applies to your seemingly stuck cycle is that all reefs given this arrangement will cycle in a week, not just some. It’s consistent, non digital testing isn’t, so it won’t matter if you test or not—the # of days wait factoring the boost used is what matters and Fritz requires the least number of days to adhere to all surfaces. already tested elsewhere

anyone with a seneye find anything different lemme know

the big water change evens out all the random things we do to cycles…that guy stalled at eight ppm lol need more ammonia much? One water change, fixed, that’s new cycling science.

Last edited:

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At reefapaloza talked to fritz venvders and was told to wait 24hours then add fish. Well because my lfs was closed waited 72hours then added fish. That was two months ago and everything is going well the fish are healthy and look good and eat well

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you do is a large water change and begin

here is the exact analog to your issue, but solved with one water change

you have met the submersion time for Fritz and then some

nitrite no longer factors in updated cycling science

and your ammonia test isn’t seneye / your cycle is ok

if you were reading nh3 digitally vs total ammonia by color compare, ammonia would report drastically different

your issue is exactly that thread. you don’t have to run the calibrated ammonia test, Fritz is fine at seven days and no I don’t think your Fritz is dead bacteria, I think it’s live bacteria and going to follow what happened in that link. Your new tank is surface area is plenty. Bacteria so powerful you can add the fish on day one was added and fed, seven days ago. There isn’t a time that wouldn’t be cycled. Nitrite is neutral it simply doesn’t matter one way or another. You paid actually for a quicker start date, you’re set.

the way updated cycling science applies to your seemingly stuck cycle is that all reefs given this arrangement will cycle in a week, not just some. It’s consistent, non digital testing isn’t, so it won’t matter if you test or not—the # of days wait factoring the boost used is what matters and Fritz requires the least number of days to adhere to all surfaces. already tested elsewhere

anyone with a seneye find anything different lemme know

the big water change evens out all the random things we do to cycles…that guy stalled at eight ppm lol need more ammonia much? One water change, fixed, that’s new cycling science.
That’s wild and a lot of great information! I’m not use to this fritz stuff to be honest. I’m old school with the 30 day cycle and let it take its course. Since i have to move soon… i needed to do this route. With that being said… how big of water change should I perform? It will not take away any good bacteria?

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At reefapaloza talked to fritz venvders and was told to wait 24hours then add fish. Well because my lfs was closed waited 72hours then added fish. That was two months ago and everything is going well the fish are healthy and look good and eat well
Very awesome to know. I see i have exceeded that limit. I was shared to wait 2-3 days but waited 7 and that was due to nitrite and ammonia not being 0 but after reading the above comment… i see I’ll be okay and the cycle is pretty much completed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back