Nuvo 20 fuge question

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have a a fuge do I need a special caddy or can I just put the cheato in the second chamber ?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have a a fuge do I need a special caddy or can I just put the cheato in the second chamber ?

I got a some sticky green film algae in my back compartment running a Chaeto refugium. Having the basket made scrubbing it out with a toothbrush pretty easy. The top area of the baffles got a little bit of the algae beyond the basket, but cleaning out the whole chamber weekly would have been a real pain where my tank is.

The basket had small holes in it for flow, but it contained the Chaeto very well. Adding it directly to the chamber I bet I would have had a lot more stray Chaeto strands in the display.

I also had some thick red Cyanobacteria that grew over the Chaeto in parts. The little holes contained that pretty well too.

Neither of these are probably deal breakers if you go with no caddy, but worth considering.

EDIT: mine was in a JBJ 45 Flat Panel

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any DIY alternative to a caddy ?

Ghost_Rebel5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably not recommended if you put the chaeto in the second Chamber without a caddy as it may make maintenance a lot harder. I suggest you get a special caddy to house the chaeto ( a good brand would be inTank)

pg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caddy is very handy for lots of things, as your needs change, and is easy to clean. Was worth it for me because it's such a perfect fit in my IM 25. I'm not a very precise DIYer...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back