Nuvo 30L stocking list... fyi I was already told this was a bad list so looking for a second.. third.. fourth.. until someone agrees with me opinion

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Cycling a Nuvo 30L right now and have an ideal stock list... I'm assuming, because this always happens, that I wont end up with whats on the list because someone doesn't get along with someone else, or because someone is too aggressive, or too shy, or just not a great tank mate. So without further ado here is my stock list

1.Designer Clown pair-thinking frostbite, flurry, or snowflake (I live in Maine so I think I should represent)
2. Starry Blenny
3. Yellow Watchman Goby/ pistol shrimp pair
4. Green or Yellow Clown Goby.

I'm wondering if they would all get along, and if so would that be too many fish in a 30 gallon? I'd love thoughts and opinions.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your goby list makes it seem like I need a live stream to watch a fight in the colosseum. I had a pair of clowns in a 20 once but they outgrew it after a few months. Just the clowns were too much. Pls get me that live stream. I’m only joking about the stream. The clowns are really for a long term stay too much.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your goby list makes it seem like I need a live stream to watch a fight in the colosseum.

Lol I only have two gobies listed a Yellow watchman and a clown goby... I thought because one was in the sand and the other liked to perch that they would be in separate areas and be okay together.

However, I hear that a goby/shrimp pair in a 30 wasn't good because they would cause to much destruction with the sand. Sad day :( . If I had to pick what I wanted the most it would have been the clown pair and the goby/shrimp pair. The others I would be okay without.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get a non sand sifting goby cause that is not a lot of sand and they can be finicky if they love sand sifting a lot. Had a diamond goby and he wouldn’t eat. Got rid of him once he ate all the sands food. You should be fine with watchman and pair of clowns gl loved my frostbites.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some gobys like the ones you listed are territorial had two diamond gobys in my 90 gallon. They were not friends.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I have found that shrimp gobies and pistols don’t cover the whole tank in sand like people say. I have a pair in a 45 gallon, and they are by far my favorite tank inhabitants. I’m not sure how they would do with another goby, so I can’t give any advice there. I have also never had a blenny, so I’m not an expert, but I don’t see any reasons why one would not work in that tank. The clowns should also be ok unless they become aggressive. Overall, the second goby is what I see as most likely to be a problem in that tank.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sand sifting goby and he wrecked havoc in my tank... until he got his borrow just the way he liked it, and now he has settled down and just swims around. I thought the watchman gobies were sand sifts and instead it was the pistol shrimp that dug the holes. Which is why I thought it might be okay in a smaller tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Cycling a Nuvo 30L right now and have an ideal stock list... I'm assuming, because this always happens, that I wont end up with whats on the list because someone doesn't get along with someone else, or because someone is too aggressive, or too shy, or just not a great tank mate. So without further ado here is my stock list

1.Designer Clown pair-thinking frostbite, flurry, or snowflake (I live in Maine so I think I should represent)
2. Starry Blenny
4. Green or Yellow Clown Goby.

I'm wondering if they would all get along, and if so would that be too many fish in a 30 gallon? I'd love thoughts and opinions.

For the most part it looks good, although a few things to be aware of. 1) Starry Blennies can be somewhat grumpy and territorial, especially with gobies. 2) The Green or Yellow Clown Gobies can be a bit of a risk with corals (particularly SPS) 3) Clownfish should be added last since they can be nasty when they get established and especially if they start mating. 4) You might not see as much as you want of the Clown Goby (particularly the Green) or the YWG and Pistol Shrimp. Just me but one of the things I hated about my first tank was I ended up with too many fish that hid a lot and so my tank often looked empty. So I have tended to move away from the ultra timid/peaceful fish.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that small I might lean towards a tailspot type blennie instead of a starry but otherwise your list looks good.
If you get a randalls pistol shrimp they aren't an issue making a mess of the sand IME as they are pretty tiny. Tigers can be little bulldozers though :)

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I think your list is pretty good.

My thoughts are:
I have a Starry Blenny and it's pretty darned big and swims/explores the entirety of an 8'L tank all day, so I'd think a 30G would be too small and may cause aggression...?

I also have a mated pair of Tail Spots and they are freaking wonderful and only use a quarter of the tank, so I agree with @fermentedhiker on that suggestion.

As far as the YWG and Pistol... I also have a 56G cube and had that pair and they were perfect... no sifting, no mess. ALTHOUGH, the Pistol forbade anything on the sandbed. If it was there, he pulled it to the den opening and used it as he saw fit. haha

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses. So I think I'm going to change it up a little, new list below

2. Bicolored Blenny
4. Pink-Streaked Wrasse

I'm most concerned with the wrasse as I've heard not great things about them, however, I have also read the that the pink-streaked wrasse is one of the best.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses. So I think I'm going to change it up a little, new list below

2. Bicolored Blenny
4. Pink-Streaked Wrasse

I'm most concerned with the wrasse as I've heard not great things about them, however, I have also read the that the pink-streaked wrasse is one of the best.
Pink streaked wrasse are great. Never bother anything. Keep an eye on the bicolor. I had one that turned aggressive and bit a chunk out of another fish.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the clown gobies and have had the best luck with the yellow and black. The green or citron we have not had good luck with. No one ever seems to bother the clown gobies in my tanks. I've had them with Lawnmower Blennies, Starry Blennies and the YWG and pistol shrimp. I do agree with others, the YWG and Pistol shrimp can move some sand around. I probably wouldn't get a pair again for that reason, but that's me.

I'm setting up a 10g now and will definitely have a clown goby or 2. And maybe an eyebrow barnacle blenny. Another cool fish.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your goby choices are fine. They should get along fine. Watchman gobies are not destructive. The shrimp are a little destructive but not too bad.

The starry is the biggest gamble, they can get real mean. Bicolor is a bit better, but still a risk for aggresion.

Pink streak wrasse is awesome but might get bullied by more aggressive fish like the blennies or clownfish.

Back