Nuvo 40 filter socks or filter floss

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I am currently downsizing my setup from a 90 gallon to a Nuvo 40 gallon. I am wondering what my best option for filtration is. I have 2 of the upgraded media racks but was wondering if there are better options

option 1: Use both racks with filter floss on top rack then bio balls in another level and use bagged carbon and GFO as needed.

Option 2: Use one rack with the bio balls GFO and carbon and use a filter sock in the other opening and possibly filter floss on top

Option 3: Use 2 Filter socks and switch media baskets in when needed

I can say that one of the concerns with filter socks is lack of cleaning. Being that I have had filter socks on my bigger setup I am pretty good about cleaning them almost daily if that helps with any advice

Thanks in advance for any help
1fastrock

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 IM tanks. Filter floss is the way to go. I change mine every other day. Takes 5 minutes for all 3. Ditch the socks. I run the stock media rack on one side with uv sterilizer on the other with floss on top. I also have the intank floss holders as well.

OP
OP

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you for the advice. I plan on keeping pre seeded bioballs from my old tank in the rack all the time and then run carbon and GFO when needed. Is that a good plan or should those always be run on a smaller tank

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon and purigen. Sometimes GFO. You could always get the intank refugium rack and put your bio balls in the 2nd chamber. That will free up space in your media rack.

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I am currently downsizing my setup from a 90 gallon to a Nuvo 40 gallon. I am wondering what my best option for filtration is. I have 2 of the upgraded media racks but was wondering if there are better options

option 1: Use both racks with filter floss on top rack then bio balls in another level and use bagged carbon and GFO as needed.

Option 2: Use one rack with the bio balls GFO and carbon and use a filter sock in the other opening and possibly filter floss on top

Option 3: Use 2 Filter socks and switch media baskets in when needed

I can say that one of the concerns with filter socks is lack of cleaning. Being that I have had filter socks on my bigger setup I am pretty good about cleaning them almost daily if that helps with any advice

Thanks in advance for any help
1fastrock
Have you considered a filter roller? Something like the Clarisea. Or something similar?

AsraeaMitsane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would go with filter floss- I run filter floss on one side with the little fluffy balls in the second chamber and then carbon in the bottom chamber- I have my skimmer in the chamber on the other side of the tank and keep chaeto in one secondary chamber and rubble for frags and pods in the other secondary chamber.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the pinkie filter floss for a couple years now so much easier than socks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back