Nuvo 40g Tank Build

taliesin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. So long story short, my wife wanted a new tank specifically for herself. She wants to do anemones and some LPS. With the 120g being primarily an SPS dominate tank.

So we picked up an Innovation Marine Nuvo 40g AIO tank that came with rock, sand, and everything except a light.

So here's the equipment list:

Innovative Marine 40g AIO with the mighty jet return pump
40ish lbs of dry rock
40 lbs of special grade dry sand ( we used about 30 lbs)
Finnex 150w Heater
5g Innovative Marine ATO (It's so cute... I have the 15g one on the 120)
DJ switch mounted into the stand to control power.
2 Sicce Nano Stream pumps (will decide if we really need these once we get some corals in the tank)
AI Hydra 32HD light

Initial tank.JPG

I decided to build the stand myself.

Stand.JPG

I put in corner braces to ensure the square of the stand (added benefit it makes it real ridged)

IMG_3609.JPG

I then skinned it with 1/2" Plywood.

Stand Door.JPG

I then used 1x12" (Picture only shows 2 boards, but I eventually decided to add a 3rd one to ensure I got the width that I wanted)

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

Of course I had to put in a customary picture of the cat doing the inspection of the stand... I guess it was kitty approved as he fell asleep in there before my wife painted it.

IMG_3629.JPG

Here's the stand completely painted. We used Rustoleum Semi-Gloss paint on it. (wife wanted a white stand this time) The reflection on the tank is the 120g tank.

IMG_3632.JPG

Since I've never been good with rock design my wife started playing around with the rock and came up with what I think it pretty good.

IMG_3644.JPG

We now have water in the tank and it's now started the cycle.

Let me know your thoughts on anything.. I'm always open to suggestions on anything you see.

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the NUVO tanks. I have a 20 I’m about to set up. Those things are much heavier than they appear lol.

What are your plans for filtration?

It might be cool to see a piece of branching rock coming up from behind your main scape. But I love the layout and look forward to following along!

OP
OP
T

taliesin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to put some marine pure balls in the back where the skimmer would go (for now).. still undecided if she wants to get a skimmer for it, then use the media that came with it in the caddy for now. Might change to purigen later on. But once the rock gets established then it should handle a lot of the filtration needs.

Otherwise we will do some regular water changes. Either bi-weekly, or monthly. Will keep an eye on the parameters to make that call.

OP
OP
T

taliesin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing we added an Black ABS textured sheet to the bottom of the tank. I used Aquarium Silicone to ensure that it stays down, and weighted it over night to ensure that it was done.
IMG_3628.JPG

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i own one as well, it been up and running for 2 1/2 years.... Great tank... Will be watching your build...

I use the NuvoSkimm

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back