NUVO EXT 40 Gallon - Trigger Systems Triton20C v2 Cube Sump - 20 inch

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends!

Well this quarantine time sure has given me the opportunity to get this done and enjoy more of the hobby. I have been having a hard time in keeping you all up to date with the tank and happy I got the time to share.

- Sea Children Update -

I've lost a few Sea Children ( BlueGreen Chromis ( Fight Club ) - Bangai Cardinal ( Beat to death by the Queen ) and Pearly Jawfish ( Jumped out - Poor Guy! :( ) and my dear old King Emerald Crab ( All my other inverts are OK- wish I knew why It happened - He was one of my favs ( they all are who am I kidding haha ) and was one of the most active in the group.

While I have lost a few sea children I have introduced new ones as well.
  • Two emerald crabs - one before the king had past and another just today! One lives in the Refugium and the newest member was added to the aquarium. He is hiding which is normal. I do have a strawberry crab who I seldom see because he comes out only at night and hides when he sees us. I hope he does not pick on him.
  • Blondie - The Leopard Wrasse. He fit right in. Man he stirs up that sand. The sand cloud gives it away all the time!
- Maintenance and To Do's -

• I am removing the #marinepure Blocks ( one block every two weeks ) from the refugium. These have been seasoning since I got this tank wet so its time to switch them out especially since my aluminium levels has risen so this could be a culprit of that. In its place I am adding the #caribsea Rubble Zone which I have used to create a couple of frag rocks for sand placement. They look awesome.
  • I change the Carbon every three weeks ( Currently using Red Sea Reef Spec. ) I changed it today because I received a shipment of Corals ( Yesterday and Today ), ORA Ultra Crocea Clam and Emerald Crab.
    • Coral Shipment List:
      • Mushroom - Red Dragon Lady Bounce x 1 ( Will be transferred to Fluval Evo 13.5 )
      • Mushroom - Yellow Jawbreaker x 1
      • Gorgeous Leather Colony x 1 ( Will be transferred to Fluval Evo 13.5 )
      • Carmel Lover Zoas × 1
      • Super Combo Zoas × 1
      • Golden Eyes Zoas × 1
      • Show Tank Bam Bam Zoas × 1
      • Home Grown Blue Cespitularia Colony × 1 - ( Will be transferred to Fluval Evo 13.5 )
      • Sweet Leather Combo x 1 ( Will be transferred to Fluval Evo 13.5 )
      • Cupcake Mushroom × 1 ( Will be transferred to Fluval Evo 13.5 )
      • White Band Shroom × 1 - ( Will be transferred to Fluval Evo 13.5 )
      • Tank Grown Fire Yuma (sm) × 1
      • Milky Way Shroom × 1 ( Will be transferred to Fluval Evo 13.5 )
  • 5 Gal - Weekly Water Changes done on Saturdays - Did a small one today again due to the new shipment of live stock. Corals release toxins when stressed and the introduction to a new environment/shipping process is one so I believe water changes and a new batch of Carbon is a must.
  • Filter Socks - Changed every three days
  • I Rinsed down the skimmer and cleaned the bubble plate and Collection Cup ( I do this whole process at least once a Month. Once its above 60's outside I will be cleaning the pumps and skimmer motor. Need multiple
  • Tomorrow I will be cleaning the #ghl_aquariumproducts Standalone Doser - the hoses and the containers.
  • Really have my eye on the Sicce Ultra-Zero Utility Pump for Sump or Drainage ( For Salt mixing )
  • Sicce Micra Plus Aquarium Pump (158 GPH) - Thinking of utilizing this for when I need to perform water changes from the Return Pump and Skimmer Area.

- Water Chemistry -

I decided to send a ATI Lab Test - this will be my second one. I will share both results below.

Current Water Quality - Per ATI 92% compared to my first one which was at 50% ( Yikes - This is how I found out my the salinity was too high )

Alkalinity - dKH - 8.2 ( Used #HannaInstruments )
Calcium: 415 ( Working on bringing it up slowly - Consumption has increased which is good - Used #HannaInstruments )
Magnesium: 1350 ( I use Saliferts )

ATI Results - Click to see Full Report

Salinity - 32.89
KH - 9.08
ATI recommendations: Adjust iodine dosage.
  • Dosage supplements, 1 dosage per day.
    The breakdown is as follows.
    Supplements - Number of doses - Quantity per dosage
    • Iod - 3 - 0.11 ml
    • Mangan - 1 - 0.30 ml
    • Fluor - 3 - 6.84 ml

SymbolValueCalculated reference valueDifferenceResultActions
Major elements​
Sulfur767.6 mg/l864.4 mg/l-96.85 mg/l
low_med.png
View
Fluorine0.58 mg/l1.22 mg/l-0.64 mg/l
low_med.png
View
Minor elements​
Iodine8.57 µg/l61.07 µg/l-52.51 µg/l
low.png
View
Barium69.36 µg/l9.40 µg/l+59.97 µg/l
high_med.png
View
Manganeseu.0.94 µg/l-0.94 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Nutrients
Nitrate5.27 mg/l2.00 mg/l+3.27 mg/l
check.png
View
Phosphorus13.94 µg/l14.09 µg/l-0.16 µg/l
check.png
View
Phosphate0.04 mg/l0.04 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Minor elements
Lithium95.03 µg/l159.7 µg/l-64.70 µg/l
check.png
View
Silicon143.0 µg/l93.96 µg/l+49.07 µg/l
check.png
View
Iodine8.57 µg/l61.07 µg/l-52.51 µg/l
low.png
View
Barium69.36 µg/l9.40 µg/l+59.97 µg/l
high_med.png
View
Molybdenum17.17 µg/l11.27 µg/l+5.89 µg/l
check.png
View
Tin 2.90 µg/l0.47 µg/l+2.43 µg/l
check.png
View
Previous Water Quality -Per ATI 50% ( Yikes - This is how I found out my the salinity was too high )

ATI Results - Click to see Full Report

TO BE CONTINUED...

Daaaaang! Look at you with your gorgeous update formatting :D . So pretty. Definitely glad to see you're finding time to get some things done, and so sorry to hear about the losses :( . That's the worst. The new coral list sounds pretty amazing, though, and I hope that all the new additions of stock are doing well!

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daaaaang! Look at you with your gorgeous update formatting :D . So pretty. Definitely glad to see you're finding time to get some things done, and so sorry to hear about the losses :( . That's the worst. The new coral list sounds pretty amazing, though, and I hope that all the new additions of stock are doing well!
Thanks! They are doing great! Will be finishing up the update later today with loads of pictures! Thanks so much for checking in and warm wishes!

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while! The Pandemic and quite a few unfortunate events has forced me to go on a hiatus and give away lots of my corals to ensure their livelihood and not make it a total loss. But things are coming back together. Looking forward to share some updates in the near future. Recently visited my local fish store Absolutely Fish on Route 46 NJ - homed a few hermit crabs - snails - and a sea star. And Reestablishing my pod population @AlgaeBarn Hope everyone is doing well!
7353D7C1-DEA2-443A-8830-8DF81881A027.jpeg
C4557E1A-921B-45C8-BAE4-95356287C73A.jpeg
930ADC69-0F1B-44FD-8403-4E2A7BFF19AF.jpeg

Back