52D6C7E6-1E3F-4182-A8F9-35018BCBFAFD.png

Yes I don't see why not.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're looking for a budget uv, i came across a bunch of posts way back about the mean green uv. i bought it because i read about these bacterial bloom things and it scared me, so i fear purchased the mean green. it's still in a box somewhere as i have yet to run into a bacterial bloom. but at least i have it on hand, and it has a cool name

idk if it'll do much for your diatom issue, though

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're looking for a budget uv, i came across a bunch of posts way back about the mean green uv. i bought it because i read about these bacterial bloom things and it scared me, so i fear purchased the mean green. it's still in a box somewhere as i have yet to run into a bacterial bloom. but at least i have it on hand, and it has a cool name

idk if it'll do much for your diatom issue, though

I hope it’s just a diatom issue! We shall see!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to remove a block of the Marinepure biofiltration ceramic media a week or would that be too much too soon maybe every two weeks or three? #marinepure #biofiltration #ceramicmedia #nitrifyingbacteria
#refugium

I feel that it’s essential to do in order to clear up the microalgae/bacteria that is growing. I will be adding more of course so the good bacteria can have a home, keep up with the #bioload as the fish grow and eventually get a pod population going.

Most likely depends on how much of the media you have, along with live sand/rock. Most likely you shouldn't have any issues with taking one out per week.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.10 dKH per 1 ml per 100l. Red Sea Liquid concentrate. My tank having 40 gal of water volume which would mean I would need to dose 1.52ml for .10 dKH.

9ml = .6578 dKH dose total.

I think the air in the lines is part of the issue as well. I’m going to be transferring the liquids from the original bottle to the dosing containers. maybe The tube I have inside the bottle is too long and might be a smidge bent causing the spacing?

I will address the air gaps in the tubing and see what happens. If it improves then I will leave it alone and if it still drops I will double the dose amounts.

Thanks so kindly in advance for your help pretty new here so appreciate the assistance and patience! :)
@Randy
.10 dKH per 1 ml per 100l. Red Sea Liquid concentrate. My tank having 40 gal of water volume which would mean I would need to dose 1.52ml for .10 dKH.

9ml = .6578 dKH dose total.

I think the air in the lines is part of the issue as well. I’m going to be transferring the liquids from the original bottle to the dosing containers. maybe The tube I have inside the bottle is too long and might be a smidge bent causing the spacing?

I will address the air gaps in the tubing and see what happens. If it improves then I will leave it alone and if it still drops I will double the dose amounts.

Thanks so kindly in advance for your help pretty new here so appreciate the assistance and patience! :)
@Randy Holmes-Farley you forgot about me! I am still having this issue. Really do not know what I am doing wrong.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test Alk?
What is the current Alk dKh?
What is your target Alk dKh?
Did you figure out if you have air in the lines?
Hanna and Salifert.
Target is 8.2
I did have air in the lines. Finally installed the aquamaxx dosing containers to the SA GHL Doser. Ziptied the lines to ensure the don’t get loose and cause air to go through.

I have not tested in 2 days. I’ve been dosing about 30ml a day and went up to 38ml Felt that was too high for a tank that does not contain hardly any coral. My Zoas are semi open.
The night before Yesterday I decided to not dose at all. My PH dropped back down to 7.98 - 8.06 it was at 8.32 when dosing the Alk.
So I started dosing again and the PH improved.

I have about 40 gals of total water volume. According to the liquid I am using I need 1ml per 25 gals. Which means I will need to dose about 1.52ml for .10 of Alk.

I’m going to do a large water change this weekend. A total of 15 gals. One this morning. One at night and one tomorrow. Reset my levels and start over. I don’t want to harm my fish and a feel I may have dosed more than I should of this past week trying to raise my Alk. I have ruled out testing error. I pay real close attention to detail and still follow the instructions just to make sure I am doing it accurately.

Thanks for collaborating.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve decided to switch over to Fritz Reef Pro Sea salt. I have one bag left of the old salt. Saturday I started the every third day water change regime ( 2 weeks - 5 gallons - at night ). Why at night you ask because that is when the bacteria will come out of “sleeping” and turn to free floating and a into the water column so I though it be the best time to clean the sand and remove the most of the bacteria that the Cyano will die off when I go lights out for three days.

My Alkalinity and PH are good now! Addressing the Doser is what was needed. The hose wasn’t creating a suction so as it was trying to pumpup liquid it was also pumping in air which cause inefficient dosing and not dosing at all. I had it connected directly to the bottles the liquid came in but finally got the aquamaxx dosing containers setup and zip tied the ends of where the hose and connection meets. Few water changes and all is good.

My zoas and palys are still Closed up and my dendro is ok but not looking great either. :( I know this can be due to the Cyano and diatoms that are currently in the water column which I’m trying to address without causing anymore stress. But I also need to address/Tweek my lighting schedule and this is a topic that I have trouble finding good facts/tutorial on. #kessila360x

I Was using korallen carbon but ran out and decided to try Red Sea Reef Spec. Started that this weekend.

Banggai cardinals have mated #brooding fish. So fun and exciting to witness. :D

Fun links below to the various subjects I’ve mentioned.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back