Nuvo Fusion 20 AIO

ReeferNick13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals I’m putting together a setup for a new tank and wanted to run my process by you all to see if there are any issues. I want to start curing my “MarcoRocks Reef Saver Dry Live Rock” as I don’t have my tank stand and everything set up yet. My plan is to put the rock in a bucket along with a heater and flow and dump a small bottle of Dr. Tim’s in. I plan to let this go for a week or two to give me time to get everything els set up then transfer the rock into my tank. Once I transfer the rock into the tank I was going to add another bottle of Dr. Tim’s along with some ceramic media balls to finish the curing/cycling process. I have a clownfish in another tank that I’m going to add to the new tank, when do I add it? After ammonia is 0 I should be safe to add the fish right? This is my first time using the dry rock so any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. Please let me know if anyone spots a mistake or a better way to do this. I’m trying to get my tank started out on the right foot! Thank you for your time and have a great day and weekend.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman

Brain,
How long would you want to cure the rock before putting it in a tank?

Thanks!!

Here's the cycling thread

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely start curing right away as you plan. You cannot cure it too long, LOL. If I were to test anything during the curing process it would be PO4. I would want to get a baseline when I start the rock and then test it here and there. I wouldn’t go crazy as it sounds like you have some time.

For me, I did big water changes along the way every couple of weeks. For my current tank, also an AIO, I cured for about 7 months in a bucket. What I found was the PO4 dropped to a point where the level plateaued. At that point I knew the curing process had done what it could to lower it.

As far as Ammonia I would not worry about it until you have life in with the rock. That said, after the process is moving along, I would strongly advise adding critters along to way to seed the rock. Micro fauna like pods, mini stars, bristleworms, etc. in which case I would test Ammonia.

I have never used bottled bacteria, but I would recommend being patient even if you do. Sounds like you are in no rush anyway. For sure, the rocks in saltwater will be fully cycled in 30-40 days without even needing tests to confirm, but I would still test Ammonia before adding life.

OP
OP
ReeferNick13

ReeferNick13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman

Brain,

Thanks!!

@NY_Caveman

Brain,

Thanks!!

Thank you!!

Back