Nuvo fusion 20 filter set up

Laurie1993

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi guys I’ve got a fusion 20 that I want to make into a little reef tank, just wanted your opinions on what filter media I should use? I’ll be using live rock and sand, from the research I’ve been doing people use carbon, Purigen, chemi pure, matrix etc but it seems like most of you just go for standard carbon and filter floss? Love to hear your thoughts as I’m a noob to all this.

BRS

blaxsun

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
One filter sock and filter floss and ChemiPure Blue in the caddy (this takes care of carbon and some GFO). A protein skimmer (anything but IM) is also recommended. Get a few spare filter socks and change out along with the filter floss every 3-4 days.

Keep the bio load to between 4-6 small to medium fish and you should be fine. NOPOX works in a pinch if you end up with elevated nitrates and phosphates down the road (after the tank has cycled).

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi guys I’ve got a fusion 20 that I want to make into a little reef tank, just wanted your opinions on what filter media I should use? I’ll be using live rock and sand, from the research I’ve been doing people use carbon, Purigen, chemi pure, matrix etc but it seems like most of you just go for standard carbon and filter floss? Love to hear your thoughts as I’m a noob to all this.
Yeah for saltwater aquariums using live rock, other biomedia does not really do much lol, unless of course you don't have that much live rock. Hence why things like Seachem Matrix or MarinePure are not really used.

A lot of chemical media are also not very useful, because 1. most people use RODI water or similar and are therefore deplete of harmful chemicals anyways, and b. things like phosphate and stuff people actually want to keep to feed corals. A lot of people even turn things like skimmers off after a while because they are then starving their corals.

So it ends up just being a simple mechanical filter media like filter floss or filter socks to clean the water off larger floating detritus/debris/etc., and then carbon just kinda to polish the water a bit.

WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM