Nuvo fusion 20 filter set up

Laurie1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I’ve got a fusion 20 that I want to make into a little reef tank, just wanted your opinions on what filter media I should use? I’ll be using live rock and sand, from the research I’ve been doing people use carbon, Purigen, chemi pure, matrix etc but it seems like most of you just go for standard carbon and filter floss? Love to hear your thoughts as I’m a noob to all this.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One filter sock and filter floss and ChemiPure Blue in the caddy (this takes care of carbon and some GFO). A protein skimmer (anything but IM) is also recommended. Get a few spare filter socks and change out along with the filter floss every 3-4 days.

Keep the bio load to between 4-6 small to medium fish and you should be fine. NOPOX works in a pinch if you end up with elevated nitrates and phosphates down the road (after the tank has cycled).

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I’ve got a fusion 20 that I want to make into a little reef tank, just wanted your opinions on what filter media I should use? I’ll be using live rock and sand, from the research I’ve been doing people use carbon, Purigen, chemi pure, matrix etc but it seems like most of you just go for standard carbon and filter floss? Love to hear your thoughts as I’m a noob to all this.
Yeah for saltwater aquariums using live rock, other biomedia does not really do much lol, unless of course you don't have that much live rock. Hence why things like Seachem Matrix or MarinePure are not really used.

A lot of chemical media are also not very useful, because 1. most people use RODI water or similar and are therefore deplete of harmful chemicals anyways, and b. things like phosphate and stuff people actually want to keep to feed corals. A lot of people even turn things like skimmers off after a while because they are then starving their corals.

So it ends up just being a simple mechanical filter media like filter floss or filter socks to clean the water off larger floating detritus/debris/etc., and then carbon just kinda to polish the water a bit.

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Laurie1993. I just started a Nuvo 20 lagoon. Going through the same thought process. Just read a bunch on chemi pure, purigen. I will probably go with a small skimmer with a sock, and carbon when needed..... if i can ever figure out which Skimmer to get. That's a rabbit hole as well. Lots of crummy nano skimmers from what I am reading.
Looks like IceCap Nano, AquaMaxx (one fits in that tank) or a Tunze with the magnet knocked off. hehe

OP
OP
L

Laurie1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Laurie1993. I just started a Nuvo 20 lagoon. Going through the same thought process. Just read a bunch on chemi pure, purigen. I will probably go with a small skimmer with a sock, and carbon when needed..... if i can ever figure out which Skimmer to get. That's a rabbit hole as well. Lots of crummy nano skimmers from what I am reading.
Looks like IceCap Nano, AquaMaxx (one fits in that tank) or a Tunze with the magnet knocked off. hehe
Hi Dave glad you’re in the same boat think I’m going to go with you and get a couple socks and some carbon and go from there!

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave glad you’re in the same boat think I’m going to go with you and get a couple socks and some carbon and go from there!
Yeah I'll probably start there and do frequent water changes too. Looks like the new IM skimmer may be better now but it's not available anywhere currently.

Back