• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

NuvoSkim DC Protein Skimmer - Desktop broken in 41 days

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in my build thread but though I would provide some vendor feedback as well.

Not a happy update this morning. My nearly brand new NuvoSkim DC Protein Skimmer - Desktop broke overnight. Walked into the office this morning to silence instead of the small amount of white noise it puts off. The pump had been running since March 22nd, so barely a month.

It was pumping out skimmate like it was its job, well I guess its only capable of handing the bioload as a part time job. I emptied and cleaned the cup 2x per week but my pumps are on 3 month service cycles so I had not even though of cleaning the air pump.

I reached out to IM today for a warranty claim, or maintenance suggestion. Little depressed just because for the first month it has had phenomenal performance.

impump.jpg

Reef Creeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this? I just had this same thing happen to me. Pump worked well for a month and then noticed one day I couldn’t hear the sound of the of the micro bubbles. I’m waiting to hear back from Innovative Marine.

Willywonka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in my build thread but though I would provide some vendor feedback as well.

Not a happy update this morning. My nearly brand new NuvoSkim DC Protein Skimmer - Desktop broke overnight. Walked into the office this morning to silence instead of the small amount of white noise it puts off. The pump had been running since March 22nd, so barely a month.

It was pumping out skimmate like it was its job, well I guess its only capable of handing the bioload as a part time job. I emptied and cleaned the cup 2x per week but my pumps are on 3 month service cycles so I had not even though of cleaning the air pump.

I reached out to IM today for a warranty claim, or maintenance suggestion. Little depressed just because for the first month it has had phenomenal performance.

impump.jpg
I have the same issue. Pump is junk. Has anyone looked into a non stock replacement pump perhaps made of better quality?

DerekAnthony

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue here, they just reached back out to me and recommended a stock replacement pump. Anyone have aftermarket suggestions?

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump lasted 3 months. It's pretty ridiculous that this is a known issue and they have not addressed it. Not only that, but I think they sent my replacement out by carrier pigeon. Well over a week and still skimmerless.

I have looked into other brand pumps in a similar size, and there is an eshoppes skimmer that uses a version of the Sicce micra pump, but there is no volute on that pump. It looks like it intakes water partly through the pump body and partly through the intake tube. On the eshoppes skimmer, the pump is mounted strangely. Sicce also makes another very small pump - Synchra Nano. It is very small, and I think I can adapt the pump by using the included snout and machine it a bit so that it will accept the volute from the stock pump. If it works, I may have to epoxy the stock volute onto the Nano. The stocker pump is rated at 53gph - the Nano is around 90. I'm hoping that when I figure out how to adapt a needle wheel impeller that the output will be around what the stock pump is. Anyhow, I'm so tired of not having a skimmer that I ordered the Nano from Amazon - it will probably be here before the replacement that IM sent out by turtle. Will post some follow ups either here or in the DIY forum if it fits and I can adapt it.

aquaman05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digging up this older thread because I just purchased a tank with this skimmer. Cleaned everything up and as of now seems to be working. My cover is broke that you take off to clean the pump so I was looking for a new pump... sold out everywhere! Did anyone find a aftermarket one that works?

ReeferSpot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine broke after just 3 weeks of use.
Any luck from anyone on a replacement?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back