NWKF's UNS 60U Planted NPS Display

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Ever since my old Macro Algae / NPS Tank ended up cracking and breaking (Bottom panel started leaking, and you can probably guess what happened from there :() I decided to pull the trigger on a new UNS 60U. Started this tank up on Easter and this will be updated constantly as I have some awesome additions coming for the tank :)
This tank is focusing on Macro Algae, NPS Sea Fans, OddBall Inverts, and some of the rarest nano fish in the hobby (To come this Summer ;)

Equipment:
-UNS 60U (20 Gallons) 23.6 x 14.2 x 14.2
-Hygger Nano Wavemaker (1600GPH at max)
-Oase 100W Controllable Heater
-Aqueon OptiBright+ (Just a temporary fixture since the light that was on the old tank that I was going to use on this tank didn't fit since the glass is too thick, although it is pretty bright and has provided some excellent growth so I might get one that fits the dimensions)
-UNS Mini Delta Surface Skimmer

(Biological) Filtration:
-20 Pounds of CaribSea's Arag Alive "Bahama's Oolite"
-17 Pounds of Marco Dry Rock
-Two Little Fishies AquaStik putty (for the scape)

Current Macros:
-Purple Fachae
-Gracilaria Curtissae (not confirmed, but most likely)

Current Corals:
-Porites
-Unknown Purple/Pinkish Sea Fan (Most likely a Plexuarid after talking to @cristata.reef on Instagram)
-Unknown Red, kind of curvy, with yellowish polyps Sea Fan (No possible ID on this one, but I didn't ask yet so I'll provide an update once I do)

I got both of these in a LiveAquaria Variety pack that was meant for Dendros and Sun Corals, but these were added as substitutes. I've had success with Red and Yellow Finger Gorgs in the recent past, in the last tank to be exact, but these are a whole new challenge. So far they've been holding on with 1 feeding per week in the past, but now I've been upping to a 1-2 time per day schedule in the 60U since moving them as I'm pretty sure it's a lot more beneficial for them, but the increased nutrients help feed the Macros. From coming in, in quite bad shape, to accidently destroying 80% of the tissue off the Purple-ish one by rubbing it against a paper towel while dipping on accident, this has been a wild ride but I think I've found out a stable schedule. There will be a lot of updates in this thread one these 2, especially the healing process of the purple one, so it'll be interesting to see how they recover.

Inverts:
-Christmas Tree Rock
I've had it for about 2 months now and it's been a joy! No hermits though, sadly :( but the worms on this "rock" are a different species than the other bismas that look like actual Christmas Trees pointed out by KingTideCorals which was a shock to me, but I still love them the same. There's roughly about 14-17 different worms on here, no die offs so far, and it seems like they're doing awesome. (P.S. If you're looking for similar Christmas Tree Rocks, Seattle Corals get's them almost frequently now so check out their website! I got mine from them and it's been doing splendid (Granted, I am local so I didn't do shipping but it should be fine)

Fish:
-Hector's Goby
Just moved this guy in for now from my Frag Tank since I've got a tad bit of Hair Algae (No infestation though due to the Macro's out competing it) and also have some Diatoms on the sand starting to appear so he should be a handy helper

Food:
@Reef Nutrition Phyto and Oyster Feast for the NPS / Bisma Worms and then Frozen Mysis / Live BBS for the Goby.

Dosing:
-BrightWell Aquatic's ChaetoGro, 2 capfuls every Thursday
-BrigthWell Aquatic's NeoNitro (Pure Nitrates) when needed
-Fluval Sea Iodine (For the Sea Fans)

I hope for everyone that sees this that they enjoy this thread, and hopefully you follow along since this is hopefully going to be one banger of a tank

FTS
20210411_223533[1].jpg

G. Curtissae
20210411_224549[1].jpg

Purple Fachae
20210411_224058[1].jpg

Blue Bisma Worm
20210411_002052[1].jpg
mm

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery Red Sea Fan (This is how bad it came in, literally 85% of it is skeleton) But this is the most polyp extension I've seen from it so far so I have high hopes for it
20210415_133641[1].jpg

Mystery Purple/Pinkish Sea Fan
20210410_214317[1].jpg

Hectors Goby
20210413_173705[1].jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Blaine! Thanks for the support on R2R too haha
Speaking of updates, I might have some stuff coming this week (not in time for Macro Monday tomorrow though unfortunately) but It should add some nice texture to the rocks! Also the diatoms are hitting hard now so I'm bringing in some help with that shipment too

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I'll fallow for sure I do love a good macro tank. I hve a 20L maybe 5 years ago now ...wow time flys by eh? anyway I would love another if there was not a 2 tank rule in the house. was thinking of drilling the ATO res of my RS 650P for a macro display still might IDK.

anyway keep the pics and updates coming!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I'll fallow for sure I do love a good macro tank. I hve a 20L maybe 5 years ago now ...wow time flys by eh? anyway I would love another if there was not a 2 tank rule in the house. was thinking of drilling the ATO res of my RS 650P for a macro display still might IDK.

anyway keep the pics and updates coming!
Thank you, and I for sure will! I feel you with the "tank rule" (thankfully my parents eased up on it) but a display fuge would be cool for sure!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS for 4/20

The Diatoms have settled in and started their brigade onto the glass (which is why it's looks weird) :( I also took off the frosted background unfortunately, for some reason it just kept falling off and it was a pain to reattach every time. I can't tell if it was the brand I used or if air was getting in somehow, but I'll probably try again with another brand of film or a paper cut out close to the same color (excuse the clip on late on the back, I tried something new but thats not the light being used)
20210420_083417.jpg
20210420_083502.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In better news, I have some new stuff coming (possibly today, more likely tomorrow) that should help with the Diatoms on the Rock and Glass so we'll see how that turns out!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the frosted film look. you might need to drain the tank to get the new one on. IDK maybe not but if no tht would be a pretty easy task for that size of tank.
Yeah, I could probably get my Dad to help turn it around. I could try to stick it on the way it is since it semi worked last time but I think the the former is a better choice

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4/26 /21

Hi! It's been a while since I've updated anything on the tank so heres some words since a lot has changed!

Starting off with the bad:
•I moved the Sea Fans back to my Frag Tank, while they were doing "ok" in the tank, I moved them back to a more established system for the time being, my fault for moving them so quickly to a system that's less than a month old.
•And that's about it!

•Equipment Changes: Moved the UNS Skimmer out, it also got Diatoms and I'm only skimming once a week so It's only going in once a week.
•WaveMaker was moved to the back of the tank, I found a dead spot between the rock structure and now everything is so much better!

As for the new additions:
•Galaxaura 4/22
•10 Astrea Snails 4/22
Both from Gulf Coast Ecosystems (Live-Plants.com) Although they sell the Astreas in groups of 10, I ended up getting 13 so I moved the other 3 into the frag tank.
•Tiger Conch 4/25
•Skunk Cleaner Shrimp 4/25
Shoutout to Seattle Corals again for the sales! I ended up picking up the Connch for $10 but while their they also had the cleaners on sale for $21 so I saw my chance to get an invert I've always wanted :)

Also when I was adding the Galaxaura, I accidently split up the clump of Gracilaria Curtissae, so I ended up placing the clumps in a bunch of cracks but it looks nice!

Diatoms are still here, although the clean up crew is making quick work. For now, I'll be letting everything grow out for May. Might be adding 1 or 2 more things here and there, but im saving up my money for now for the BIG part of the tank for June, the fish. If you read the beginning post, yes, these are some of the RAREST gobies In the hobby, and I have big plans for them besides just being inhabitants of the 60U.

20210426_001408.jpg 20210426_001158.jpg Screenshot_20210426-003141_Video Player.jpg 20210426_001013.jpg 20210426_000958.jpg
20210426_001408.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Nothing new so far, although I do notice some new growth on the G. Curtissae and Galaxaura. I did make a video on the new updates that goes more in depth + a sneak peak at the plans I'm going to do with the gobies Click here

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so going back on my word, I couldn't resist the urge so I got the Red Sampler pack from Gulf Coast Ecosystems, they don't have it in very often so I had to take the shot. Time to see what I get in a couple days! (Guaranteed 3 different species)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-171705_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-171705_Gmail.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! So it's been about 4 weeks since I've last updated (mainly because I forgot) and A LOT has changed so heres a huge update and hopefully I can get back to updating regularly:

-Unfortunatly, I lost the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp I did a 90% waterchange last since one of the Macros went sexual and I believe the fluctuation of parameters that fast ended up ending him. I feel really bad since he was possibly my favorite invert but that's always a risk when having certain Macros. RIP Buddy

-Continuing with the bad news, unfortunately The Bali / Philippines area has had a recent outbreak of Covid so the exporters aren't traveling to that area to collect fish, so that means what would've been next months shipment of some of the rarest gobies, is most likely going to be end of July / August. But from an email today, it sounds like the Covid epidemic there has cleared up, so hopefully we'll be back on track.

Now with some good news! New Macro Additions include:
-Red Gracilaria
-Halimeda Monile/Incrassata
-Pencil Cap (still in rough condition but looks to be perking up)

I did have some Caluerpa Mexicana (the Macro that went sexual) and the funny thing is what was supposed to be the most "invasive", actually got out competed by everything else so that was funny / sucky to see. Also I'm pretty sure the Hector's ate a lot of it too so that was a snack for him >:( Although there is still a runner so it could make a comeback

Equipment Changes: Added an old HOB filter with a Pack of Chemipure and Filter Floss to collect all the particles and other things. Water clarity has been an issue for me in those 4 weeks for whatever reason, the water was always a bit Cloudy (I thought it was just the Diatoms on the glass but it wasn't) so the 90% Water Change really helped clear things up.

New growth seems to be happening with All Gracilaria species and the Galaxaura, Halimedia is adjusting well since I got all the Greens last week, and the Pencil Cap is okay-ish. I've started to dose Nitrates again since i stopped for a while but things started to die off so I feel like it's time to kick that up again. And that's about it! Next updates I definitely would like to add a Photosynthetic Gorg of some sort next since I have time before the gobies + shrimp come, definitely looking at the Silver Murica from Seahorse Savvy , other plans are an Indonesian Purple Seafan down the line since it sounds like an easier NPS Sea Fan to take care of after talking to some people on here. More Macros of course, I have a trade going on soon with Tigahboy.h20 down the road for some of his Blue Hypnea so that'll be fun to add. Thanks for checking my thread out, here's some photos and I'll be back soon!
20210526_204453.jpg

20210526_204624.jpg
20210525_221602.jpg
20210526_204734.jpg
20210520_181235.jpg
20210512_142855.jpg
IMG_20210510_013953_967.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone following the thread or just taking a peak, unfortunately earlier in the week I took the tank down. The whole thing is my Instagram on why i took it down (here's the Post ) but basically I took things to fast, and with the tipping point being that when I was gone for the weekend + a couple more days, my lighting timer malfunctioned so it did 13 hours instead of the usual 8, causing a lot of other problems so I thought now was the perfect time. This tank will be up in the near future, but for now I'm focusing on some other things. I'll slowly get things I've always wanted for the tank (Like a TwinStar E or CA light) and changing out the sand for a bigger grain size, putting the frosted background back on, etc. Whatever was still okay, I put in my frag tank. When the time comes, I'll put the link for the new thread here, but for the short time it was up, I hope everyone enjoyed it :)
20210531_213653.jpg
20210531_213712.jpg
IMG_20210531_220417_088.jpg

Last edited:
Back