Nylon bolts and nuts to secure corals to rock?

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video where the reefer keeps his collections of torches on what appears to be frag plug mounted on screw/bolts and I see what looks like nuts attached to the rocks, I think the idea was to be able to secure the torches firmly to the rocks, but easily removable to move the torch if it is not happy at the location. I don't think they are bolts/nuts from hardware store, Does anyone else use this kind of frag plugs ? Would be interested in trying those type of frag plugs if anyone sells those. Here is the video I was referring to.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you what’s easier than that. This is what I do.
Take a ceramic frag plug. Cut the plug off with a Diamond dremmel wheel. Drill you an 1/8th inch hole in the the center of the frag disc with 1/8th inch masonry bit. Super Glue in a piece of 1/8th inch acrylic rod to the disc. About an inch or so long piece. You can go longer if you want. Then drill multiple 1/8th inch holes throughout your whole rock scape to peg the corals. It does help to do this in the beginning when you aquascape, but rocks can be taken out also to be drilled. After drilling get a turkey baster to blow out the drilled holes. Under water that is. Corals can be easily moved around like this. I’ve found 1/8th inch acrylic to be stiff enough to hold decent size corals with out bending. Every coral in my tank is pegged like this. I’m going to do the exact same thing on my new tank. I’m too crazy about rearranging things, color coordinated, grouping by compatibility, to actually glue something to the rock. Of course once they encrust it can be a pain to remove the disc. Corals like Euphyllia you don’t really have to worry about that.
F8D3F190-F5CA-4263-95E8-16215303A91F.jpeg

AR-4H Clear Rod,1/8" (30)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. I use a dremel to trim the stems down to fit into smaller holes, but replacing the stem altogether like this would allow longer, more stable mounts.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back