Nyos 120 break in period?

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I am cycling a new reefer 120. As part of the setup I have a Nyos 120, which at some point may be undersized for this setup. I bought the 120 used from another reefer. I thought that if the skimmer was used it was already broken in; however, I am getting tons of bubbles and flooding the collection cup even with all the settings completely open (see pic). I followed other reefers advise to give it a run for a couple of hours on 50/50 vinegar/water without any changes. So, my questions are:

1. Do used skimmers also need to acclimate?
2. How long does this period last?
3. If I rise the skimmer around 2 inches (currently sitting at 8.5 inches) the water level drops. Should I rise the 120?
4. I know that there is no immediate need for the skimmer during cycling. is the skimmer behavior related to the lack of significant bio-load in the system?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1457.JPG

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do used skimmers also need to acclimate?
2. How long does this period last?
3. If I rise the skimmer around 2 inches (currently sitting at 8.5 inches) the water level drops. Should I rise the 120?
4. I know that there is no immediate need for the skimmer during cycling. is the skimmer behavior related to the lack of significant bio-load in the system?

Thanks in advance.

1. Not really, it is the production oils and stuff on new skimmers that cause the need for break in
2. usually just a few days
3. I'd just let the skimmer run and overflow into sump
4. It looks like this is a brand new setup all around....sump, tank, filter socks? New filter socks are AWFUL for making a skimmer go crazy, even one that is well broken in.

Running some carbon would help.

Nice clean sump setup by the way :)

OP
OP
Seadoc

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Not really, it is the production oils and stuff on new skimmers that cause the need for break in
2. usually just a few days
3. I'd just let the skimmer run and overflow into sump
4. It looks like this is a brand new setup all around....sump, tank, filter socks? New filter socks are AWFUL for making a skimmer go crazy, even one that is well broken in.

Running some carbon would help.

Nice clean sump setup by the way :)

Thanks. The skimmer is not new. That's why I was wondering about the acclimation process with a used skimmer. I will try to add carbon to the media cup and see what happens.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The skimmer is not new. That's why I was wondering about the acclimation process with a used skimmer. I will try to add carbon to the media cup and see what happens.

Something else could be triggering it then. It does not take much for them to foam over like that.

I mentioned the filter socks because mine went insane when I added new ones. I do think the carbon will help.

OP
OP
Seadoc

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else could be triggering it then. It does not take much for them to foam over like that.

I mentioned the filter socks because mine went insane when I added new ones. I do think the carbon will help.
Just added 100g of carbon in a bag. I have not put together the reactor yet..... Maybe that's the next project.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added 100g of carbon in a bag. I have not put together the reactor yet..... Maybe that's the next project.

The projects never end o_O

Carbon helps in so many ways. Carbon or not, the foaming you are seeing should subside. But carbon just pulls out all sorts of crap that causes issues.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back