NYOS Media Reactor - Rowaphos and Carbon Placement?

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a new NYOS Media Reactor (Dual) - and I'm wondering where you place your carbon and rowaphos/gfo? Whether that be the top or the bottom.

I just want to make sure my carbon isn't tumbling and my rowaphos/gfo is still simmering just a bit from the flow.

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty hard to accomplish both in one reactor. I run both mine in the same media bag in a reactor works fine as far as nutrient so tell goes and makes changing media a breeze. You could try putting the carbon in a bad to keep it from tumbling

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I can use a media bag for carbon on the top and media bag for rowaphos in the bottom?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the stuff in a bag I would have the ROWPHOS on the bottom and the carbon on top. Rowphos needs to tumble a little carbon very little.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use Triton carbon on the bottom of my NYOS and use ROWAphos on the top. I need to switch the media out this weekend and will try it the other way around to see if there's any difference, but I love the combo so far.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a new NYOS Media Reactor (Dual) - and I'm wondering where you place your carbon and rowaphos/gfo? Whether that be the top or the bottom.

I just want to make sure my carbon isn't tumbling and my rowaphos/gfo is still simmering just a bit from the flow.
I use the 1 L NYOS reactor. I place the media in bags and have carbon in the bottom and GFO in the top. Seems to work well. I was initially concerned with channeling but it doesn't seem to be an issue. Just pack everything as evenly as you can when installing media and you'll be good.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a NYOS dual media reactor. I run carbon in the bottom (the BRS premium ROX - 1 cup) and GFO in the top. I put both in media bags. I have a 105 gallon aquarium and change the carbon out monthly. I put the GFO in the top as I intentionally underdose it. I use 1/2 cup and when I see phosphate starting to climb (I typically test weekly, sometimes twice weekly) I replace the GFO in another media bag and just drop it in the top. It seems to work well this way. I'd rather see the GFO tumble and I may yet give that a shot, but it would make change out much messier.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the finest mesh zipper bags I could find on Amazon. I don’t remember what size the mesh is, but it’s pretty fine. Sorry, I know that’s not particularly helpful.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I know finding the perfect mesh bags is trial by error, guess i will use the bags that chemi blue come in.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch to Nyos Phosi-EX. The GFO pellets are a lot larger and don’t get blown out through the filters. I put my GFO on the bottom (without a media bag), as a media bag is just going to get gunked up and inhibit flow through the reactor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back