O.K....I just got the Reefbot today....what do I do now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
I just got the Reefbot today. The first thing that I will do is watch the youtube video on how to set it up and calibrate it.

After that, where should I get the best reagents to do the test? I have heard that the API test kits are not too expensive but from reading the reviews, they are quite inaccurate.

For those who just got this "expensive" device, where do you buy your reagents and which one do you use?

This is like buying a printer, it is the ink/toner (and in the case of reef keeping they are the reagents) that is most costly.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
I'd go with Red Sea or Salifert

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Red Sea alk, because it has good precision and accuracy and only uses one reagent vial. API Ca because it’s most cost effective and it’s great. Giesemann PO4 because it has to be better than API. Tropic Marin NO3, but it’s still in beta testing. The only other NO3 kit is API and it’s not horrible but needs finer resolution.

crazyboi48

View Badges
Reaction score
Red Sea alk, because it has good precision and accuracy and only uses one reagent vial. API Ca because it’s most cost effective and it’s great. Giesemann PO4 because it has to be better than API. Tropic Marin NO3, but it’s still in beta testing. The only other NO3 kit is API and it’s not horrible but needs finer resolution.
If you would be so kind to explain what I’d be paying for? Does this automatically test? I tried watching the video but am a bit confused, do you add the regeants in the reefbot and refill when needed? Has it worked well for you?

Thanks I’m advance.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If you would be so kind to explain what I’d be paying for? Does this automatically test? I tried watching the video but am a bit confused, do you add the regeants in the reefbot and refill when needed? Has it worked well for you?

Thanks I’m advance.
Hello,
Yes you need to add the reagents to the vials.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Thanks I’m advance.
You buy the bot, find a nice container for RODI water, and one for waste container. I’d suggest at least 5 liters waste and 2 liters water, but less is fine too, just more refilling and dumping waste.

You have to supply the test kit reagents of your choice from the list of supported kits. Then add reagents from supported test kits to the vials, and tell the bot what you did. Now you can test on a schedule, or tell it to run a test whenever you want.

Yes, I’m happy with mine, it’s really nice to have. The support is great, they really care about what they are doing. @drernesto has committed to adding support for more test kits in the future, adding new parameters as well,as options for current tested parameters. I’m selfishly hoping someone will come out with a line of high volume (bulk), cost effective, reagent only products for use specifically with reefbot that are precise and accurate relative to what’s on the market now.

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t own a Reefbot but have seen and read on it. I think it would be great if the makers would come up with there own reagents for this product.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t own a Reefbot but have seen and read on it. I think it would be great if the makers would come up with there own reagents for this product.

They'll need to step up their game once the Neptune Trident comes out! It would be a shame for such a great product to go under just because a bigger player released something better. If they could do their own reagents and dosing (for less than the cost of an apex with trident), I would jump on that!

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
How is everybody liking theirs after a few months of use? Are they working on developing their own regents yet? That seems like the easiest way to go.

Not too many reviews about this out there. Also does it integrate with apex at all? And does it test for pH or is that in the works by chance?

@drernesto

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How is everybody liking theirs after a few months of use? Are they working on developing their own regents yet? That seems like the easiest way to go.

Not too many reviews about this out there. Also does it integrate with apex at all? And does it test for pH or is that in the works by chance?

@drernesto
Hello Brett,

Yes we are developing our own reagents.
we are also working on sharing APIs which will allow you to integrate it with other controllers.

You can always check the ReefBot owners group on FB for more reviews.

Cheers,
Rabih

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're working on your own regents. Any chance you're also working on testing pH?

I am awaiting approval by admins in the FB page. So far only gleaming reviews. Looks like I'll be getting one of these over an apex. Especially if the reefbot will eventually test pH.
Thank you for the quick response @drernesto

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're working on your own regents. Any chance you're also working on testing pH?

I am awaiting approval by admins in the FB page. So far only gleaming reviews. Looks like I'll be getting one of these over an apex. Especially if the reefbot will eventually test pH.
You could definitely test pH with it, but would be way less accurate and much more expensive than a simple pH probe. A raspberry pi, reef-pi pick boars from blueacro.com, and a pH probe will get you continuous monitoring of pH for $100 or so.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

We are working on pH and various other parameters.

Cheers,

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You could definitely test pH with it, but would be way less accurate and much more expensive than a simple pH probe. A raspberry pi, reef-pi pick boars from blueacro.com, and a pH probe will get you continuous monitoring of pH for $100 or so.
We will be adding probes to the ReefBot :)

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The ReefBot is now compatible with ELOS The Aquarium Company KH test kit. You can read your alkalinity levels between 5 and 14 dKH !

#ReefBot #Elos #Alkalinity #RK #Aquarium #Reef

64537483_1617847581684740_4104753004165464064_n.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back