o2manyfish - 750g Display Tank, 1500g System with Outdoor Frag Tanks

Davehla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what this coral is - It's a nub someone gave me - But it's got crazy potential -

o2manyfish - What is it -1.jpg

o2manyfish - What is it -3.jpg

Top Down Shot ---
o2manyfish - What is it -4.jpg

Looks amazing! I drove by your house today for a birthday party for one of your neighbors and I was wondering how the tank is doing! Glad to see it’s looking amazing!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking amazing,
thanks for sharing

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jave just finished reading through the whole thread after reading it years ago in probably 2015 or so on the other site. I was excited when I stumbled upon your thread here and glad to see you still doing your thing.
I hope your doing OK and as others have already asked, I am also curious about more details of the recent mishap and if there were fish losses along with the coral losses.
The way you grow frags for new refers, those who have suffered a crash, schools, etc. Is just fantastic and I love the selflesness. Your contribution to the hobby is immeasurable!
Best wishes you you and your family!

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020 just keeps beatin up on me. My Gem and Purples were starting to get a lil too big and bossy. Two weekends ago I got the trap and caught the 3 purples and Gem from the 400g.

Then we added 2 sml Purples and 3 Small Gems. And later that night while watching my new fish I noticed the seam of the front panel of my tank starting to come apart.

Rushed to locate a tank big enough to hold everything and with the help of local reefers got a used 560g tank moved 600 miles and into my house in 4 days. Xmas Eve some very kind local reefers helped move the stand and tank out of the truck and into the house.

That was Thursday. Xmas Day was spent fixing a potential seam issue on the new tank, and then filling it up with salt water - Luckily my new RO/DI System filled the 560g tank in just 6 .5 hours!!! Dumped in buckets of Reef Crystals and a Vectra pump and started mixing. One of the down sides to creating almost 100 gallons of RO DI per hour is that the water is cold cold cold. With 2000w of heaters the tank wasn't able to start warming up till after we stopped pumping in sub 60 degree water. Friday I also put together the plumbing to connect the new tank to the old tanks plumbing.

Saturday morning temp and salinity were good. Connected the plumbing between the two tanks - opened the valve and started mixing 560g of new saltwater into my now 1800g SPS system. Saturday night with the help of my wife we pulled the big colonies out of the 400g and a few small pieces of rock. Some of the rocks were so embedded with corals that 2 or 3 large pieces of liverock had grown into 1 giant piece of liverock with corals. It was going to take 2 people to lift and move these now giant pieces. My poor wife was handed tray after tray of coral colonies and then had to go outside in the cold night air and try to remember which frag tank I told her to put them in.

Sunday with the help of Tim Kelly we moved the corals and live rock off the fiber grate structures to be able to move them to the 560g.

We rebuilt the main rock structure to adjust for the height of new tank. Then loaded the liverock onto the new structures. On Sunday I managed to catch about 6 feet from the rockless 400g.

Monday at 3am I came down in the dark and caught about 6 more fish. Then another dark fish nabbing at 4.45am got me 20 more fish.

The fish seem to be liking the more open space of the 560g. There are still another 60+ fish to try to get out of the 400g before draining it and getting it out of the house.

I've put up a ton of videos on youtube over the past weekend showing the different steps.

The amount of muck under the aquascaping after 16+ years is pretty amazing. Once the 400g and a couple hundred pounds of some non-Miracle mud are gone from the system I will get a Triton test from Unique Corals and see what happens to my perpetually high phosphates (over 1.6 for the past 6 years).

This afternoon I moved the Webcam to the opposite side of the room so you can get a view of the new tank.

New tank is 560g Acrylic - 120x30x36 -- I HATE 36" tall tanks.

Hopefully, with no more crisis we can move forward on building our 800g starfire tank and I can get rid this temporary 36" nightmare

Video from tonight with most of the corals and some of the fish --
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQfLAzE6C34" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video of the 16 year old Phosphate Factory
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/11IktIIrX4s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Final Farewell Video of the 400g Tank
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ihJf04rTDPc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your have this move underway. I can imagine the stress you must be feeling with a possibility of a tank failure looming. Once you get through all of this it will be worth it to move on to your new 800g.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds stressful. Im glad you were able to get a replacement tank/excuse for an upgrade. What are the dimensions of the new tank gonna be?

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting 2 versions of this video tonight to see which one people think looks better. This version is done with Windows Movie Editor - which is easy. This video includes todays update to the tank - Moving some lights, added the feeder, webcam has a new spot, saying Sayonara to the Red Mouthed Elegance and talking about Assesors and Pseudochromis. Please comment which version of the video you like better. I don't make videos to sell something, I make them so that people can share the knowledge and experience I have from being in this hobby and industry for over 3.5 decades. So let me know which video is more enjoyable for you to watch. Thanks Dave B ---- Live Tank Webcam 24/7 o2manyfish.com

This version is from Windows Movie Editor

This is Adobe Premiere

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not see a big enough difference to go through extra effort for the Adobe. Windows movie editor seemed to handle motion better and Adobe seemed to have better still shot picture quality to my untrained eye. I'm only viewing on a Samsung note 10+ though maybe that has something to do with it. Great update!

U

User1

View Badges
@o2manyfish - great job. I have to say I really enjoy the new layout of the new temp emergency tank. It has opened up and the fish seem to really enjoy it. You are one of the hobbyists and tanks I use as a reference. You have a pretty amazing passion for the animals and treat them as pets and not a commodity. Pretty rare these days. My wife / wiser half who is not really into the hobby said you have an amazing display. She is not into fish or corals but respects the passion. Her passing comment to me was "get busy" :)

Feedback on the video. As @NautiTang above said the difference is not obvious. I watched both separately and then a third time sync'd up together. About the only thing I noticed on my PC display is that the MS version had better color. It was more noticeable when you spoke about the room. The color on the walls. On the other hand the Adobe version had more clarity. It was like a consistent smooth blend almost photo like if that makes sense. Either will work I believe and would say do whatever you are comfortable with based on processing speed or dollars and cents.

Assessors! Agreed. They are amazing fish and very under rated. Also can be captive raised or bred. I have a BIOTA yellow and they are really stunning the way they swim. They are not out all the time and in fact I thought I've lost mine a few times as I go by for about a month without seeing it then BAM - he comes out and I get a smile. As you said captive vs wild do have a color defenses as you said and I have read.

Regal Angelfish. I have always wanted one but going back to your other tanks and the current the size
of your Regal is why I don't. Even in my 210 gallon display I don't think it is large enough based on yours in the new display. Really pretty fish but something I have to pass.

Barnacle blenny is cool. I've not found any but I want to add some. The Pukani rock I have should be great for them due to all of the nooks and crannies.

Question - any chance you could let me know what the fish is below? I'm thinking a Starcki Damsel? Pretty fish.
I have 7 sapphires, 1 surge, and 1 azure. They all get a long great.

Keep up the amazing work. You really have a passion and it shows via the videos. I personally enjoy them so wanted to say thanks for your time and effort. I'm not a huge social media thing but love what you have going on down South :) From the Northern Cali fan. All the best to you and your family.

1610470502573.png

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting 2 versions of this video tonight to see which one people think looks better. This version is done with Windows Movie Editor - which is easy. This video includes todays update to the tank - Moving some lights, added the feeder, webcam has a new spot, saying Sayonara to the Red Mouthed Elegance and talking about Assesors and Pseudochromis. Please comment which version of the video you like better. I don't make videos to sell something, I make them so that people can share the knowledge and experience I have from being in this hobby and industry for over 3.5 decades. So let me know which video is more enjoyable for you to watch. Thanks Dave B ---- Live Tank Webcam 24/7 o2manyfish.com

This version is from Windows Movie Editor

This is Adobe Premiere

The second one, the Adobe Premiere seems to over saturate blues and purples on the fish a bit too much, but both can be acceptable to watch for me. I would go with whatever suits you better as the difference is really minimal. (I watched them on my laptop.)

I really enjoy your systems and particularly your angels. Good luck with rebuilding your display.

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick unedited updated on the 560g reef. It's been running for 1 month. Moved some lights and cleaned the glass.

Dave B

Thanks for sharing the video! How’s the flow in that tank? Did you turn down the flow during recording?
Everything looking great, appreciate the comments!
Thanks

reef4now

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Just an amazing looking tank, I give you and your wife a lot of credit,you for your effort and passion and her for her patience.Keep up the good work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back