OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since an update. The tank has been plodding along. The algae growth in the 560g is a pain in the butt. To enjoy the tank requires a daily wipe on the glass and in the last couple of months Cyano has overtaken the sand bed. The rest of the tanks in the system have no algae problems, it's only the display tank inside. The params on the tank have gotten a little out of whack. Phosphates as always are aroung 1.5 to 1.6. But the Nitrates have fallen to under 1.0.

So last week I did a dose of Chemi-clean, and next week after the 2nd water change I will start dosing nitrates and try to get some balance back. With the crazy algae growth the corals still look good, not great, but good, with some stags and torts growing well.

Here is a video of the tank last week before dosing the chemiclean.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, Glad to see your tank is plotting along. I recently moved and lost all my corals. Set the tank back up and had horrendous algae for awhile. Siphoned out what I could, turned the lights out and put chaeto in the sump. It’s now 99% gone. I could only get away with that because I had no coral in the tank. Now I’m slowly getting ready to add a few SPS coral into the tank.
your tank too will get past the algae phase you are in buddy.

corey

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, simply awesome. Loved every second of the video.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking great!
can you share what camera you used for that video?
Thanks.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a new video, including some coral macros, shot on Nov 21,2021. Tank is looking pretty good. After dosing with Chemi-clean the cyano vanished and corals looked good. Started dosing nitrates to balance out the .05 Nitrates to the 1.5 phosphates.

Since starting the nitrate dosing the glass is now greening over in about 8 hrs. Hoping this balances out soon cause I'm getting tennis elbow having to wipe the front glass 2x a day.

Some people warned that some corals wouldn't like the dosing of the nitrates. On the first day (double dose) the giant green sinularia was closed up, since then it seems happy. But one of 3 healthy gorgonians has closed up since the dosing started.

The new joculator angel from Eric at Amoung the Reef is doing awesome. He's fat as can be. I can't say enough for how well Amoung the Reef conditioned that fish. He went in and was right at home and eating and has only gotten wider in the last few weeks.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem in my recently setup 500 gallon with Nitrates close to 0 and phosphates at .38. With heavy skimming and dosing Lanthanum Chloride I have a managed to bring phosphates down to .18 but now nitrate is at 0. For the past couple of month I’ve been battling tons of turf algae, chrysophytes, and Cyanobacteria and brown film algae on the glass. Do you think dosing nitrate would be a good strategy to go with? What brand are you using? In my past tanks everything looked healthier when the film on the glass was green instead of brown (nitrate values higher than phosphates). Trying get this tank on the right track. Sorry to hijack.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem in my recently setup 500 gallon with Nitrates close to 0 and phosphates at .38. With heavy skimming and dosing Lanthanum Chloride I have a managed to bring phosphates down to .18 but now nitrate is at 0. For the past couple of month I’ve been battling tons of turf algae, chrysophytes, and Cyanobacteria and brown film algae on the glass. Do you think dosing nitrate would be a good strategy to go with? What brand are you using? In my past tanks everything looked healthier when the film on the glass was green instead of brown (nitrate values higher than phosphates). Trying get this tank on the right track. Sorry to hijack.
DJF91 - No Hijaacking - As tank owners we always think our corals could look better. The people that visit think everything looks amazing (Fish people not Nemo Fans). I can't say that the dosing has changed much so far. I'm out of town for about 12 days and hoping I notice a difference when I see the tank in person. I am dosing a liquid Nitrate, but I can't recall the brand. You can always check in on the 560g tank - There is a live webcam on the tank - www.o2manyfish.com - And once you get the hang of the PTZ controls you can zoom into the polyp level of most of the corals in the tank. Start dosing a small amount and see if you notice a difference in the tank. I was warned that dosing in moderation to get stable detectable nitrates could be a year long process. Nothing good happens in reef tanks quickly.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 decades in this hobby, with the help of good friends and good luck I have had the opportunity to collect most of the fish on my bucket list. While sadly we lost several of those with the velvet outbreak last year, we still have several. And yesterday I brought home another bucket list fish - I hate to say Holy Grail fish, because let's face it that title is so overexaggerated pretty soon it's going to be applied to a Scopas Tang, oh wait the Koi Scopas - A holy grail fish - they already have. So here is my bucket list fish. A captive bred Interruptus Angel. About 2" and cute as a button.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 decades in this hobby, with the help of good friends and good luck I have had the opportunity to collect most of the fish on my bucket list. While sadly we lost several of those with the velvet outbreak last year, we still have several. And yesterday I brought home another bucket list fish - I hate to say Holy Grail fish, because let's face it that title is so overexaggerated pretty soon it's going to be applied to a Scopas Tang, oh wait the Koi Scopas - A holy grail fish - they already have. So here is my bucket list fish. A captive bred Interruptus Angel. About 2" and cute as a button.

Quite the investment.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those horrible posts. This post is so bad it took me almost 3 weeks to make it. It's all gone! We had a 2 strike catastrophe and lost everything. On Mar 17th we treated the display tank with Salifert Flatwrom exit at 80% dose strength. I added a wooden airstone, turned on all the pumps, add 2lbs of carbon to the tank and thought I was safe to treat. But just 2 hrs after dosing the fish just started falling to the bottom of the tank. Lots and Lots and Lots of fish. Out of about 140 fish maybe only 15 survived. All the angels (Interruptus, Joculator, Pair of Goldflakes, Trio of Flameback, Pair of Golden, Pair of Venustus, Flame, Yellow Belly Regal), most of the tangs (9 yellows, 2 purples, Gem, Black, 1 Hippo, 3 Hippo's with no tails), all the anthias just gone. My wife and I were just devestated. So many fish just falling to the bottom of the tank. We caught as many of the bodies as we could out of the tank and sat to wait and see how things would pan out. This was on Thursday night. On Saturday sometime before dawn the 300gal outdoor sump blew apart at the back corner seam. The sump drained to 3" of water. Then at 5am the Topoff turned on to fill up the system before sunrise. With a 4000 gal a day top off system it didn't take long for it to try to fill the sump back up. But the more fresh water the topoff pumped in the more freshwater got pumped out of the sump and into the tanks - Diluting the salt in the whole system. By Saturday morning breakfast all the corals were bleached. By Saturday evening all the tissue was gone. Display tank, frag tanks, sump, anemone tank - everything but the chaetomorph dead.

Here is a youtube video showing the disaster.

[VIDEO]

The wife and I talked at length and the wife said I can't quit. So we ordered a new 300 gal outdoor sump - this one made of fiberglass - no more worries about splitting. And if you have followed my posts and videos from the past year you all know I hate the 36" deep 560g tall tank we put in as an emergency fix in Dec of 2020.

We are waiting on a quote for the new tank now - We already had quotes for the new tank to be made out of glass. But this experience with a 3 year old glass tank just reminded me of the risks involved with a glass tank. And I am going to stick to acrylic, as I have for the last 36 years.

My fellow SoCal reefers, I am going to need your help to restock the new tank and frag tanks. I'm not going to start collecting anything till we get the new sump in place. And at that point I will start collecting fish and corals. The sump should hopefully be here by the middle of May.

If you are breaking down a tank. If you have large colonies you are thinking of rehoming or getting rid of, if you can hold off till mid May I promise to give them a great home and also use them to share with the So Cal Reefing community in the future. The new tank is going to be big - so starting from frags is not going to work. If you break off a chunk of something cool, let me know. Willing to take as many donations as possible. But also willing to pay for chunks and colonies of coral. It doesn't need some fancy name, it doesn't have to have a high price tag, It just needs to be a pretty coral.

Dave B

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back