Observational qt

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I plan on doing observation QT on fish I get in the future. My question is, how long does velvet or brook take to be apparent? I dont care about ich, my DT has it and I'm fine with that. However, if my tank gets velvet again, it would be terrible. I just wanna know if a week or 2 is enough to know if a fish has velvet or brook or any other real killers

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually 14 days or less for parasites to show. But there are some fish that can be "carriers" and not present for months. Seen this especially with clowns and Brooklynella. Really odd. Nothing and then months later, BAM!

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually 14 days or less for parasites to show. But there are some fish that can be "carriers" and not present for months. Seen this especially with clowns and Brooklynella. Really odd. Nothing and then months later, BAM!
Well the fish I'll be QTing next are 4 tangs. They should show velvet or brook easily, right?

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you say some fish can be carriers, is it like individual fish are different, or like clowns are carriers of brook, but other fish arent? Which fish are carriers for what?

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would you mind chiming in on my thread from yesterday?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you say some fish can be carriers, is it like individual fish are different, or like clowns are carriers of brook, but other fish arent? Which fish are carriers for what?
That is a great question. Fish with thicker mucous coats are usually the ones that we worry about as carriers: mandarins, eels, clowns, for example are commonly a concern. Where as butterflies and most tangs have much lighter mucous coats and usually present quickly. But both of these groups can be influenced by troubling practices in the supply chain. Most notably the use of sub-therapeutic levels of copper by collectors, shippers, wholesalers, and LFS can delay parasites reappearance by a few days to a few weeks depending on the fish, copper levels, etc.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great question. Fish with thicker mucous coats are usually the ones that we worry about as carriers: mandarins, eels, clowns, for example are commonly a concern. Where as butterflies and most tangs have much lighter mucous coats and usually present quickly. But both of these groups can be influenced by troubling practices in the supply chain. Most notably the use of sub-therapeutic levels of copper by collectors, shippers, wholesalers, and LFS can delay parasites reappearance by a few days to a few weeks depending on the fish, copper levels, etc.
The fish I'll be getting will be fresh outta the Caribbean with no shipper, wholesaler or LFS. I also think qt may just be a waste of time, because most disease is spread at the wholesalers, right?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I'll be getting will be fresh outta the Caribbean with no shipper, wholesaler or LFS. I also think qt may just be a waste of time, because most disease is spread at the wholesalers, right?
Yes and no. I know this is not an example of velvet, but, studies done in the Pacific showed approx 75% of fish sampled had Ich either on their skin or within the gills or both. The point being, wild fish have these parasites too. And as soon as we put them into a closed system, whether it be the collectors (they often throw them all together in bags in their boats), the shippers in containers, or the wholesalers, LFS, or ultimately us in our tanks, the close proximity creates the environment for spreading disease and parasites.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back