Observational Study of Fromia Starfish Species Fromia indica, Fromia milliporella, Fromia pacifica

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was considering adding this cool dendro I found for like $10 that's still on the rock it was taken from in the ocean instead of a frag which is kinda cool along with a sun coral maybe black one and yellow one!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how I can improve upon the scape guys? I'm not super happy with it--not enough places for a few fish to hide so I'm thinking about getting these rocks tomorrow along with what I believe to be a very colorful feather duster...the first pic is how it looks currently and the following pics are the rocks I plan to add tomorrow or Friday. More caves maybe to make it more interesting? The absolute key is to provide as much live ocean rock as possible for the starfishes (which has also kept the so called "uglies" away as well as a secondary benefit even with the lights being on every day all day)...

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_144839.jpg
    IMG_20220821_144839.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_2022-09-01-00-25-53-464_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-01-00-25-53-464_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-28-17-776_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-28-17-776_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-28-01-997_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-28-01-997_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-28-12-340_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-28-12-340_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-27-22-035_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-27-22-035_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-27-16-856_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-31-17-27-16-856_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the reasons why you’re not getting more pacificas?
Well the primary reason is because they're not native to Thai waters and I was hoping to accumulate information on those that I can possibly follow up with in their natural environment to continue studying, secondly, they are they most expensive and not necessarily needed for the study, and thirdly, the one I currently have at least is VERY sedentary which makes me wonder if it has to do with the true nature of the species or handling/care from the seller (there is only one source I know of for that species and if the seller has a starved or mishandled batch, I'd prefer not to invest significantly more money to determine that). I don't like casting blame on the sellers though and besides, the primary reason I stated is enough to justify not buying additional individuals.

meganf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the primary reason is because they're not native to Thai waters and I was hoping to accumulate information on those that I can possibly follow up with in their natural environment to continue studying, secondly, they are they most expensive and not necessarily needed for the study, and thirdly, the one I currently have at least is VERY sedentary which makes me wonder if it has to do with the true nature of the species or handling/care from the seller (there is only one source I know of for that species and if the seller has a starved or mishandled batch, I'd prefer not to invest significantly more money to determine that). I don't like casting blame on the sellers though and besides, the primary reason I stated is enough to justify not buying additional individuals.
That makes sense. Thank you for explaining!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far Fromia indica appears to be relatively resilient to slight parameter changes (more than most people likely would expect), is an active member of the tank and moves around a good bit, and for a reason yet to be determined prefers to put himself in the path of bubbles from an
airstone I've been running in the tank to increase oxygenation

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the behavior of the Fromia milliporella stars over the past few days, I think it may be time to add a few more pieces of live rock to their housing tank...I've noticed them spending much less time on the rocks and more time moving around the tank on the glass and sand which they haven't been doing much for the past month. Maybe they're just exploring the tank more but never hurts to be safe.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly they've been showing a very strong attraction to the areas of the tank where they can receive the highest oxygen levels regardless of exactly where I relocate the airstone to. The tank also has a skimmer so it certainly isn't deficient in oxygen so I'm going to be doing some research to try to figure out what causes this behavior and possibly how conditions can be optimized for their care. Not sure how I'm going to do this yet...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the F. Indicas appear to be doing very well and now stay towards the bottom of the tank feeding and exploring their surroundings. I'm actually very optimistic at this point as they are active and appear to be very healthy!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly they've been showing a very strong attraction to the areas of the tank where they can receive the highest oxygen levels regardless of exactly where I relocate the airstone to. The tank also has a skimmer so it certainly isn't deficient in oxygen so I'm going to be doing some research to try to figure out what causes this behavior and possibly how conditions can be optimized for their care. Not sure how I'm going to do this yet...
Have you considered that they could be attracted by the nitrogen that is being infused by the air stone? Some nitrifying bacteria transform no3 into n2 gas, maybe they looking for nitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered that they could be attracted by the nitrogen that is being infused by the air stone? Some nitrifying bacteria transform no3 into n2 gas, maybe they looking for nitrifying bacteria.
That's something I haven't considered but why would they be seeking out the Nitrogen? Do you have an idea what function that would serve them?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's something I haven't considered but why would they be seeking out the Nitrogen? Do you have an idea what function that would serve them?
It’s more of a random thought, not based on any real evidence.
the other day I accidentally overdosed carbohydrates and noticed as a result I had a bloom of a bacteria that made a lot of n2 bubbles coming from all surfaces in the tank.
I’m just wondering if this can somehow be they’re preferred biofilm as you mentioned that they keep going for the air stone and possibly confusing the n2 atmospheric gas with a bacteria film

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more of a random thought, not based on any real evidence.
the other day I accidentally overdosed carbohydrates and noticed as a result I had a bloom of a bacteria that made a lot of n2 bubbles coming from all surfaces in the tank.
I’m just wondering if this can somehow be they’re preferred biofilm as you mentioned that they keep going for the air stone and possibly confusing the n2 atmospheric gas with a bacteria film
That's very interesting but I doubt that's the case (although I can't disprove it) because in the wild I don't see how an airstone would be replicated naturally. Plus when I turn it off, (I've been keeping the airpump off) they stay on the rocks and at the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a few more pieces of live ocean rock to the starfish observation tank today...beginning to slowly put together a report of previously known information found by professional researchers as well as adding my personal observations of the Fromia indica species in captivity...here's a pic of the updated scape now with 3 fish and a few inverts. Here's another pic of one of the stars eating with his stomach deployed which you can see!

IMG_20221004_163003.jpg
IMG_20221008_001138.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very interesting but I doubt that's the case (although I can't disprove it) because in the wild I don't see how an airstone would be replicated naturally. Plus when I turn it off, (I've been keeping the airpump off) they stay on the rocks and at the bottom of the tank.
I’ll try and make a video for you later

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised

biofilm floating around with bacteria producing n2 gas (most likely)

24385EB3-AEEC-4717-882E-5C72A2DF6415.jpeg

looming closely there is some gas bubbles attach to the biofilm floating

n2 gas on macro algae as I disturbed the surface

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you learned from this experiment so far?
I feel I've learned a good deal about their feeding behaviors and food preferences, preferences regarding water quality, believe that they can somehow sense oxygen concentrations and prefer highly oxygenated water based upon behaviors I've observed, feeding differences among two species in the genus, among other things which I'll compile in my report.

I intend to write up this short report soon, I'm just very busy these days having to work and/or study 7 days a week so it's really hard to find spare time right now. I've collected plenty of notes and data but I'd like to start off with what's already known about them followed by my own observations and I've been able to find very little in depth information on the genus Fromia online so I'm still in the research phase.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to shoot me a message and I'd be happy to talk about it more! I'd just rather not put the specifics in the thread but rather the report because that way I'll have time to review it and format it how I like to make sure everything is written correctly. Also, I'd like to have everything compiled in one report instead of segmented posts on the thread but like I said I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions if you message me.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've begun to compose my report! I'm not sure exactly when it'll be ready to be posted but starting is the first step which has been difficult given that I either work or study 7 days a week (sometimes both in the same day). I'm slightly concerned about the oldest member (3 F. indica stars comprise my sample size and will be the focus of my report) as he's taking a little longer to reach his supplemental food source at times, although this could be due to other factors as well. Here's are two pictures from moments ago taken right after I placed the food and after he positioned himself onto it to eat. He's been in my care for about 9 months now (not sure how long he was at the shop of course.)

Attachments

• IMG_20221022_213205.jpg
    IMG_20221022_213205.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20221022_220054.jpg
    IMG_20221022_220054.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back