~ Observations of common behaviors that are unique to certain livestock we keep~

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in what all of you have witnessed within your Reeftanks over time that you have come to believe common behavior unique to specific livestock that you have kept.

For an example in my case I have had three different Kole Tangs that have chased/tormented my algae eating Blennies. The first one attacked my Bicolor Blenny relentlessly to the point where I had to rehome it (Kole Tang), the second or replacement played tag (usually the chaser) with my mismatched pair of Blennies a male Bicolor (same as above) and female Tailspot. I lost the second one along with the Bicolor Blenny in a Ich outbreak a couple years ago and replaced with another lil 1 1/2" one last year, about six months or so ago it has started this same 'Game' this time chasing my pair of Tailspot Blennies in what looks more like a fun thing to do rather than a serious territorial brawl. I have four other Tangs that could care less about the Blennies or the 'Game'.

So what else have you all observed in your Reefs ???

Cheers, Todd

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Blue Hippo about 6 inches and about 23 Chromies. All the Chromies seem to think the Blue Hippo is their mother, follows the large fish wherever it goes. Not sure if this is instinct of making the Blue Hippo their leader. It looks nice so I stopped adding fish in the tank. The LED seem to make the Chromies looked blue, the Hippo really look like the mother hen with all her chicks.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bump: this baby back to the top as I know there are more observed behaviors out there from you all.

larangcon, very cool behavior you should post a quick video here or in your build thread.

Couple more from one of my old sytems, 25 years ago or so when I had my FOWLR Predatory Tank setup a 180g with Hawaiian Dragon Moray, Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, Black Volitan Lionfish, Dragon Wrasse and Harlequin Tusk. As to most predatory fish kept we become associated with 'The source of FOOD' all above fish would react to my presence within the room but my Clown Trigger was such a ham that it would spit water out of top of tank to get my attention, and I mean way out of tank like 3-4 feet and splash onto hardwood floor. This behavior though sometimes amusing was generally a BIG PITA having to clean up his mess or twice having to replace MH lamps and shields that exploded into the tank. All the fish when introduced were around 2"-3" to start with except Dragon Moray which was about 6-7" and when I broke it down five or so years later they were 8-12" and Moray around 24" or better.

Cheers, Todd

Back