Obviously Chrysophytes. Do we have any IDs on species yet?

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more microscopy. This is my "film" algae that grows in my nutrient poor (0.2 ppm nitrate and 3-4ppb Phos) tank.

From what I can tell this is a chrysophyte.

More of a minor inconvenience than a problem as it EXCLUSIVELY grows on my glass and scrapes easily.

But has anyone made positive IDs? Also, what is a good consensus on treatment? Manual removal and upping nutrient levels? I know many algaes thrive on lower nutrients, as it makes them the best competitor.

20200717_113909.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see a pair of flagella then the closest I have been able to match with any history is the Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. There are some 15 thousand species of single-cell algae which makes it hard to pinpoint.
Here is a paper that may be relevant.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see a pair of flagella then the closest I have been able to match with any history is the Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. There are some 15 thousand species of single-cell algae which makes it hard to pinpoint.
Here is a paper that may be relevant.

Cool thanks! Im working on bringing nutrient levels up in this tank because I only get algae that thrive in low nutrients like Bryopsis, and chrysophytes. Neither are plague proportions and my hermits in this tank actually eat Bryopsis.

And sorry to derail my post alittle, It's actually great that you commented I was doing some reading on a post of yours about metro and dinoflagellates. I have a bloom of ostreopsis in a new tank, and while I'm letting it mature so I'm not doing anything besides running a UV sterilizer at the moment. If it persists, your method really interested me. What were your end results with metro with dinoflagellates? Did they ever return?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back