Oceanic Mood Music: Incorporating soundscapes into your aquarium?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For good reason we often focus on the visual aspects of our reef tanks, the color spectrum of the light, the uniqueness of the aquascape, the colorful fish and coral etc. I mean it's a glass box for a reason! But what about sound? I'm not talking about pumps grinding or water falling but relaxing oceanic mood music!

Sound, in almost any application, can play an important role in creating a relaxing environment. But what about for a tank room? Have you ever incorporated unique soundscapes into your tank room, like ocean waves or ambient music?

Would you ever consider creating a more immersive environment that complements your reef tank by incorporating sound?

REEF2REEF VIBES MUSIC CLOWNFISH copy.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could have the sound of the ocean going with seagulls making their noises and maybe kids yelling in the distance cause a wave hit them. That would make my tank and house feel like the beach.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a BBC video that was 10 hours of ocean reef noises. Turned it on near the DT and was amazed to see the response from all my fish. They all seemed to relax and become more un annoyed by their confinement. I suspect a lot of those noises in the tape were fish ond other creatures communication with each other. I liked it, but I think my tank creatures loved it.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found a BBC video that was 10 hours of ocean reef noises. Turned it on near the DT and was amazed to see the response from all my fish. They all seemed to relax and become more un annoyed by their confinement. I suspect a lot of those noises in the tape were fish ond other creatures communication with each other. I liked it, but I think my tank creatures loved it.

WOW that's pretty amazing!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually an interesting point - I majored in psychology in college and found out a little about how sound effects animal psychology. Long story short, animal music is a legitimate thing and can help calm animals (some cat owners, for example play specialized “music” - basically a medley of calming cat sounds - for their cats when they’re at work or on vacation), so I wouldn’t be surprised to find a similar effect with fish.

Last edited:

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually an interesting point - I majored in psychology in college and found out a little about how sound effects animal psychology. Long story short, animal music is a legitimate thing and can help calm animals (some cat owners, for example play specialized “music” - basically a medley of calming cat sounds - for their cats when they’re at work or on vacation), so I wouldn’t be surprised to find a similar effect with fish.
I believe it. just like we like listening to music from fun times in our life. I think for other creatures, all five senses bare equal weight, where us humans rely mostly on sight and don’t realize how important the others are for connecting to our environment.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth mentioning that the normal pump/skimmer noise is quite significant, though. While they can certainly be effected by sound, a home aquarium is a much noisier baseline than the ocean (maybe except in the surf) - if you put a submersible camera or microphone in your tank and record some audio, you won't be able to hear much of anything else.

It could be an interesting experiment to bring a speaker up to the side (maybe just a sub, but maybe midrange too) and play something for your creatures with the pumps off, or just record some sound in the seeming stillness. My pistol shrimp are easy to hear at a distance (and sometimes the fish will flinch when they hear it too), but I first realized my CBB's mouth was a beak because of the clicky chomping noises when it was trying to rip up a chunk of food, there is certainly sound to be heard out of our creatures.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is worth mentioning that the normal pump/skimmer noise is quite significant, though. While they can certainly be effected by sound, a home aquarium is a much noisier baseline than the ocean (maybe except in the surf) - if you put a submersible camera or microphone in your tank and record some audio, you won't be able to hear much of anything else.

It could be an interesting experiment to bring a speaker up to the side (maybe just a sub, but maybe midrange too) and play something for your creatures with the pumps off, or just record some sound in the seeming stillness. My pistol shrimp are easy to hear at a distance (and sometimes the fish will flinch when they hear it too), but I first realized my CBB's mouth was a beak because of the clicky chomping noises when it was trying to rip up a chunk of food, there is certainly sound to be heard out of our creatures.
Good point!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone else?

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are often woo’d by the sounds of late 90s rap since they sit 12in away from
My office speakers. They seem totally unaffected by the noise as I used to watch to make sure the sound vibrations didn’t bother them. I saw no change in their behavior.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fish are often woo’d by the sounds of late 90s rap since they sit 12in away from
My office speakers. They seem totally unaffected by the noise as I used to watch to make sure the sound vibrations didn’t bother them. I saw no change in their behavior.
Can’t hardly go wrong with good 90’s music!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had fishtanks for over 10 years in the same room as crazy theater setups. Mid-Range, Bass, and Sub that rocked the couches. And never saw the fish flinch when as explosion went off on the big screen.

We now have 'The Fish Room' in the house. The Fish Room is coming up on 30 years old. The only thing in The Fish Room, is a 750g tank and couch across from it. But in the Ceiling are a pair of Martin Logan Speakers that are part of the whole house audio system and we can listen to whatever music, tv show or movie we want while watching the fish.

While normally you wouldn't listen to a movie while looking at a fish tank, The fish tank is next to the patio, which has a Big TV and outdoor speakers, and on the other side of the tank is the open living room, which has another big TV and ceiling speakers, and the living room is open to the kitchen, which also has speakers. So sometimes when we are entertaining a movie or something will be on throughout the house and the fish room is just one zone.

Have I ever wanted to play Ocean Music while watching my tank..... Never even crossed my mind.

Decades of diving on reefs and hearing critters munching on corals is not something i want to think about occuring in my tank ;)

Dave B

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's really *incorporated* per se, but if I'm working in the display or watching it, 9 times out of 10 I'll be listening to some LoFi beats.

Dz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with a portable speaker in a pvc pipe going into the water when I added a bunch of tangs. It stopped the fighting almost instantly. I think it’s because they hear things that make them seek safety vs aggression. They have underwater speakers on reefs to restore dying reefs. The speakers are incredibly expensive. Worked with a company to make a underwater speaker but the risk of deterioration was to high

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t beat leaning back in my office chair, watching the tank, and listening to some post rock.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back