Ocellaris as a "canary fish"?

vintage detritus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as planned, honest. I was running 76 day QT for inverts and frags. About three months ago, I rescued a clown ( I'll call it a cinnamon misbar, but I don't follow designer fish) He/She/They ended up in the QT as the DT already holds a big mean pair of ocellaris. I was not thinking clearly. I just assumed I would reset the clock for another 76 days. Then my favorite frag vendor had an irresistible sale, so more frags went into the tank 30 days ago, and I reset the clock again. (I swore off black Friday - no more space).

So here's what I have - a frag/invert QT with a live fish. Fish is fat, happy, apparently healthy, and annoying the crap out of my duncans. Here's my quandary:

1) My admittedly ancient information on clownfish is that they are not very susceptible to ich. I am wondering if this fish could be infected, show no symptoms, yet serving as a vector to continue the ich lifecycle perpetually from frag plug to clown and back to frag plug. Which means clown has to be removed, and I need to set up another tank, or, alternativley:

2. The clown shows no symptoms, therefor there is no ich in the QT, and these frags can go to the DT.

Thoughts?

Back