Ocellaris clownfish mouth open, not eating

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help/advice. I have a pair of Ocellaris clowns together, only fish in their tank which they have been in for almost 2 years together, nothing new has been added, no anemone, no change in foods, water parameters are well within the norm. My female is not doing great, her mouth seems to be stuck open, she's not eating, and when in the light her body seems to have a reddish shadow inside pretty much everywhere she is white. She seemed to be hiding out a bit over the past couple days with these symptoms however she is still swimming around but usually keeping her head downwards which has started recently. Her mate is doing perfectly and they havent been fighting or acting oddly prior to her symptoms. Were on day 6 of not eating and now with her mouth being open constantly I am at a loss. She seems to be getting weaker so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I love my fish dearly and really dont want to loose her! Thank you!

received_183476016429748.jpeg received_300087224463635.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrieFoster

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help/advice. I have a pair of Ocellaris clowns together, only fish in their tank which they have been in for almost 2 years together, nothing new has been added, no anemone, no change in foods, water parameters are well within the norm. My female is not doing great, her mouth seems to be stuck open, she's not eating, and when in the light her body seems to have a reddish shadow inside pretty much everywhere she is white. She seemed to be hiding out a bit over the past couple days with these symptoms however she is still swimming around but usually keeping her head downwards which has started recently. Her mate is doing perfectly and they havent been fighting or acting oddly prior to her symptoms. Were on day 6 of not eating and now with her mouth being open constantly I am at a loss. She seems to be getting weaker so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I love my fish dearly and really dont want to loose her! Th

Bump* H
I need some help/advice. I have a pair of Ocellaris clowns together, only fish in their tank which they have been in for almost 2 years together, nothing new has been added, no anemone, no change in foods, water parameters are well within the norm. My female is not doing great, her mouth seems to be stuck open, she's not eating, and when in the light her body seems to have a reddish shadow inside pretty much everywhere she is white. She seemed to be hiding out a bit over the past couple days with these symptoms however she is still swimming around but usually keeping her head downwards which has started recently. Her mate is doing perfectly and they havent been fighting or acting oddly prior to her symptoms. Were on day 6 of not eating and now with her mouth being open constantly I am at a loss. She seems to be getting weaker so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I love my fish dearly and really dont want to loose her! Thank you!

received_183476016429748.jpeg received_300087224463635.jpeg

Help please!

Redland Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection. I would recommend transferring to hospital tank and begin treating with antibiotics. Humble fish has a good thread on various options to this end. Treating with antibiotics in food is ideal but since she isn't eating you'll have to treat the water and hope she recovers.

OP
OP
BrieFoster

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection. I would recommend transferring to hospital tank and begin treating with antibiotics. Humble fish has a good thread on various options to this end. Treating with antibiotics in food is ideal but since she isn't eating you'll have to treat the water and hope she recovers.
Ok thank you, out of curiosity, since we've never had an issue with them before, what would have caused the bacterial infection for her and not her mate? I'd like to try to prevent any future issues as well!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
please do not jump wait for more suggestions being nothing has been added in 2 years

Redland Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numerous things can cause a bacterial infection. Typically they are secondary to underlying parasitism but can also be attributed to water quality, wounds, poor nutrition. I tend to always soak food in VitaChem and sometimes garlic. For my current set up I've QT all new fish and prophylactically treated with PraziPro and Cupramine, observing the fish and only using antibiotics if the need arises.

OP
OP
BrieFoster

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do not jump wait for more suggestions being nothing has been added in 2 years
I dont intend to jump, just asking questions as I always try to follow through on ideas, which involve questions but am always greatful for ideas & information :)

OP
OP
BrieFoster

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numerous things can cause a bacterial infection. Typically they are secondary to underlying parasitism but can also be attributed to water quality, wounds, poor nutrition. I tend to always soak food in VitaChem and sometimes garlic. For my current set up I've QT all new fish and prophylactically treated with PraziPro and Cupramine, observing the fish and only using antibiotics if the need arises.
Hmmm the only thing is, we monitor our water closely, the parameters are very constant and have been for almost 2 years, nothing has been added in 2+years they're fed a consistent, healthy, safe diet and only 1 is affected.. no injuries have been seen during or prior to the start of her odd behavior. The open mouth is the most recent symptom which I know is usually associated with parasites and such but with nothing being added *I mean nothing no new rocks, no new anything.. we use specific ro water from the same source, everything is the "same/normal"* also their sump setup is maintained properly no changes have been made in adding any new products.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your clown is not doing well. The red-ish coloration is troubling. It can be a symptom of a bacterial infection. The head down tail up can be a symptom of swim bladder problems. And then there is the not eating and mouth gaping. Could be some internal pathogens at work causing internal infections as well. I would suggest removing the fish to a QT to treat with both Metroplex + Neoplex to address those internal problems.
Have you seen the fish's poo recently?

OP
OP
BrieFoster

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your clown is not doing well. The red-ish coloration is troubling. It can be a symptom of a bacterial infection. The head down tail up can be a symptom of swim bladder problems. And then there is the not eating and mouth gaping. Could be some internal pathogens at work causing internal infections as well. I would suggest removing the fish to a QT to treat with both Metroplex + Neoplex to address those internal problems.
Have you seen the fish's poo recently?
The poo appears normal, the swimming seems to be strictly by choice as she can still swim normally as well which was odd to me. The coloration only appears at the right angle in the light but it is new and I agree, troubling. The mouth gaping and her behaviors are all recent with nothing new in the tank & nothing out of the norm other then her new behavior/mouth gaping/not eating. I will definitely look into your suggestions. Thank you!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm sorry if i missed,7yrs old,how many inches long,??another close pic poss?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about the struggles that this fish is having. Have you recently introduced any new corals or anemones? I agree that the color can point toward bacterial infections and it is also possible that it bit something attempting to inoculate itself toward a coral/anemone which is causing the symptoms.

OP
OP
BrieFoster

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about the struggles that this fish is having. Have you recently introduced any new corals or anemones? I agree that the color can point toward bacterial infections and it is also possible that it bit something attempting to inoculate itself toward a coral/anemone which is causing the symptoms.
We havent added anything in 2 years.. like anything and no anemone in the tank, no new corals, no new rock or anything... I have refused to let myself add a bunch because I really didnt want to risk anything with these guys, as silly as that may sound.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We havent added anything in 2 years.. like anything and no anemone in the tank, no new corals, no new rock or anything... I have refused to let myself add a bunch because I really didnt want to risk anything with these guys, as silly as that may sound.

Not silly at all! I have said before that keeping a reef tank is like a master class in risk management. I have received failing marks along the way, but I have learn a lot about fish and life in the process.

OP
OP
BrieFoster

BrieFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not silly at all! I have said before that keeping a reef tank is like a master class in risk management. I have received failing marks along the way, but I have learn a lot about fish and life in the process.
So glad to know I'm not the only one! I have taken some foolish risks towards the beginning of my salt water addiction, but over the years I've learned what constitutes a risk, and with this pair I was unwilling to have any risks regardless of how badly I may want to do the whole "ooohhhh pretty must buy..." I've been very strict on myself with them and now it's a bit disheartening to have this happen when I've been so very careful!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back