Ocellaris clownfish with goby shrimp pair?

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 10 gal with a tiger pistol shrimp and a wheeler's goby paired up and was wondering if adding an ocellaris clownfish would work or not. I already do weekly water changes and can do more if need be but I just wanted to make sure that an ocellaris could work with them before I decide on buying one. If that doesn't work is there anything that could also go with them or is it best to just keep those 2 alone in the 10 gal?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An ocellaris should be fine. Two nano fish in a 10gal is reasonable, and the goby and clownfish should ignore each other. You might see the goby threaten the clownfish for coming close to its burrow, but that's it.

You should test your water and check that your water change schedule is good; you may not need to change the water that often. Especially if it's a reef, as you need to maintain some nutrients in the water for the corals to use. Weekly can be a good start as a schedule to try, but it's best to, from there, figure out what works best for your tank. Unless nutrients need to be removed or trace elements need to be added, a water change is fairly pointless.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ocellaris should be fine. Two nano fish in a 10gal is reasonable, and the goby and clownfish should ignore each other. You might see the goby threaten the clownfish for coming close to its burrow, but that's it.

You should test your water and check that your water change schedule is good; you may not need to change the water that often. Especially if it's a reef, as you need to maintain some nutrients in the water for the corals to use. Weekly can be a good start as a schedule to try, but it's best to, from there, figure out what works best for your tank. Unless nutrients need to be removed or trace elements need to be added, a water change is fairly pointless.
Alright thanks. I've heard that clownfish do better and pairs and a forum post said that a pair would also be fine. Is that true or should I just stick with one? this is the forum post I'm talking about: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/will-this-stocking-idea-work-for-10g-nano-reef.430976/

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've got a 10 gal with a tiger pistol shrimp and a wheeler's goby paired up and was wondering if adding an ocellaris clownfish would work or not. I already do weekly water changes and can do more if need be but I just wanted to make sure that an ocellaris could work with them before I decide on buying one. If that doesn't work is there anything that could also go with them or is it best to just keep those 2 alone in the 10 gal?
I had this combo a few years back and clown could not care less about them

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A pair of clownfish could work better, yes, and that would also be fine. Be sure to either get two small clownfish, or one large and one small. All clownfish start life as males, then, if there's no female present, one will transition into a female. You either want to pick two males, or one male and one female, as two females will fight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of clownfish could work better, yes, and that would also be fine. Be sure to either get two small clownfish, or one large and one small. All clownfish start life as males, then, if there's no female present, one will transition into a female. You either want to pick two males, or one male and one female, as two females will fight.
Great thank you!

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming there are enough hiding places, it should work.
One thing I will note is that whenever I’ve had to separate my clown from my goby, the goby would become far more active.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming there are enough hiding places, it should work.
One thing I will note is that whenever I’ve had to separate my clown from my goby, the goby would become far more active.
Yes there are plenty of hiding spaces for the goby shrimp pair. This is what it looks like right now. A little bit has been changed due to the pistol shrimp digging tunnels and all but generally there’s a lot of hiding spaces where the goby and shrimp can stay peacefully away
528B2903-AC95-4A53-A8B0-BA7E9B67F367.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You also need hiding spaces for the clownfish. I'd try building upward a little, so they have somewhere to feel safe.

Also, how old is that tank, and what are your nutrient levels? That's very pale rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need hiding spaces for the clownfish. I'd try building upward a little, so they have somewhere to feel safe.

Also, how old is that tank, and what are your nutrient levels? That's very pale rock.
Oh this is from a while ago back when I was cycling the tank. It’s cycled and everything now. And alright I’ll try to see if I can create some higher structures for them

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back