Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200813_133624.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi not sure experts will come,meanwhile freshwater temperate dip will help in meantime #reefsquad

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would jm opinion 3-4 min ,in temperate water,but wait a few ,let the experts come ,may take a few they will come :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like the video presentation - cool idea! I wish I could video my response, would save a ton of typing! Watching the video, I was thinking Brooklynella, but then I saw the still pic, and that looks like ich. Not a very serious infection - yet.

Here is my issue: I would suggest that you pull the clown and move it to a QT for a full treatment. Trouble is, the other fish have also been exposed (it can be a bit tricky to see ich on Salarias blennies). They may develop ich in a few days to a week, and you'll need to move them as well. This will unfortunately be a very big project, and definitely not a sure thing. Even if you get the ich under control, you will need to leave your main tank fishless for 75 days or so, else any new fish will get reinfected.

Avoid the temptation to use a "reef safe tonic" or any medication that doesn't tell you what the active ingredient is - if any of those work, it's just by chance.

Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too voted Brooklynella. This type of disease affecting mostly clowns is often confused with ich. It is most similar to oodinum this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first and fish may then scrape up against objects, rapid breathing then develops, and fish often gasps for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Soon after the fish become lethargic, refusing to eat, and their colors fade.
The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that the fish produces then as the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. At this point it is a battle to save the fish.

The best and most popular treatments are malachite green and formalin which is near impossible to find. Formalin is a 37 percent solution of formaldehyde gas dissolved in water with methanol added as a stabilizer, but know what youre doing if youre going to form your own. Perfom treatment as a bath rather than solution for fish to swim in qt tank.
Some although not the correct treatment have had success with prazi pro as well as low dose copper. After treatment perform a freshwater dip.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the video presentation - cool idea! I wish I could video my response, would save a ton of typing! Watching the video, I was thinking Brooklynella, but then I saw the still pic, and that looks like ich. Not a very serious infection - yet.

Here is my issue: I would suggest that you pull the clown and move it to a QT for a full treatment. Trouble is, the other fish have also been exposed (it can be a bit tricky to see ich on Salarias blennies). They may develop ich in a few days to a week, and you'll need to move them as well. This will unfortunately be a very big project, and definitely not a sure thing. Even if you get the ich under control, you will need to leave your main tank fishless for 75 days or so, else any new fish will get reinfected.

Avoid the temptation to use a "reef safe tonic" or any medication that doesn't tell you what the active ingredient is - if any of those work, it's just by chance.

Jay Hemdal

Thank you. Thats awful news

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too voted Brooklynella. This type of disease affecting mostly clowns is often confused with ich. It is most similar to oodinum this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first and fish may then scrape up against objects, rapid breathing then develops, and fish often gasps for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Soon after the fish become lethargic, refusing to eat, and their colors fade.
The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that the fish produces then as the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. At this point it is a battle to save the fish.

The best and most popular treatments are malachite green and formalin which is near impossible to find. Formalin is a 37 percent solution of formaldehyde gas dissolved in water with methanol added as a stabilizer, but know what youre doing if youre going to form your own. Perfom treatment as a bath rather than solution for fish to swim in qt tank.
Some although not the correct treatment have had success with prazi pro as well as low dose copper. After treatment perform a freshwater dip.
Ahhhhh. Well I made the mistake of trusting the fish store that Dipped the things I had received. I will definitely dip in the future. Thank you for the advice!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back