Ocellaris Clowns Pair- Change of host to a toadstool leather?? Advise?

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a silicone rubber anemone that my clowns have adopted as their home. I am looking to remove it and replace it with a toadstool leather of some kind and say goodbye to the fake things in my tank that were great before I started to add real corals.
Anyone have any incite to what type of toadstool I should be looking for. I was thinking of a long polyp or weeping willow type? Also if the toadstool is located in the same location, will they most likely host it? They have been breeding on the rock next to the fake Nem..

Current location and "fake" home.

clowns.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Clowe fish have been known to rent out a room in various corals. Leathers being one. @vetteguy53081 i believe has a set up like you are asking about. Maybe he can point you in the right direction

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have a silicone rubber anemone that my clowns have adopted as their home. I am looking to remove it and replace it with a toadstool leather of some kind and say goodbye to the fake things in my tank that were great before I started to add real corals.
Anyone have any incite to what type of toadstool I should be looking for. I was thinking of a long polyp or weeping willow type? Also if the toadstool is located in the same location, will they most likely host it? They have been breeding on the rock next to the fake Nem..

Current location and "fake" home.

clowns.jpg

Thank you in advance.
Umbrella toadstool, weeping willow toadstool and many leathers such as devils hand will work. They jump into hairy mushrooms, xenia and GSP also

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umbrella toadstool, weeping willow toadstool and many leathers such as devils hand will work. They jump into hairy mushrooms, xenia and GSP also
Should they just take to the toadstool or because it’s not the plastic nem they might not host it?
The clowns are cool. I see them just resting in the silicone nem..
If they don’t host, is there some way of getting them to host the new “home”
I’m planning on adding some new fish over the next couple of weeks. Should I get the toadstool first then add the new tank mates to potentially force the hosting?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hate to say this but they’re dumb and will host most anything- even a stick of dynamite
They soon sweep through the toadstool and make it a bed for themselves

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this but they’re dumb and will host most anything- even a stick of dynamite
They soon sweep through the toadstool and make it a bed for themselves
So just swap the fake for the toadstool and they should most likely have a new home....

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So just swap the fake for the toadstool and they should most likely have a new home....
Can be immediate or a week or two. Up to the fish

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long tentacle toadstool and various clowns have hosted in it. For some reason the current O. clown is hosting in a corner that's loaded with large mushrooms. Never can tell with these guys but it's certainly worth a shot.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may or may not. At the end of the day they are still clowns and therefore unpredictable! ;)
Dammm clowns just go to your new home.
giphy.gif

I think it sound like there is nothing to lose except the Clowns may or may not like the new intruder....They are funny like that. They pester the snails on the sand by blasting them with a pulse of water with their tails. I might just be lucky though as it is their corner of the tank.

I guess the next question is, once I get the toadstool, let the toadstool have a week or two before I move it into the corner. I do know it will start off much smaller than the fake nem as the LFS gets them with the head about the size of a golf ball. Seams like that is the magic amount of time for anything to be comfy in my tank from fish to corals.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful toadstool and my 2 Gladiators have never gravitated towards them. ;)
do they host anything in your tank?
I am just thinking because they are already hosting a fake nem in the spot I am going to just swap out the item that they might continue right where they left off.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools have always been a bit touchy for me, as they will play dead for days after I accidentally bump it. Imo, a euphyllia species is a much better fit. Mine are currently hosting a Duncan even though I’ve got a euphyllia garden, anemone, giant swaths of clove and Xenia... and they picked the DUNCAN!!

absolutely delightful and designer homes, first rate with no mortgage payments ever.
60A9BAC2-DB84-4C02-8DB7-10EC3A832782.jpeg
53867DE6-DE07-4D82-ABFF-50B8EF559BDA.jpeg
51C08FAB-CB8A-49FE-ABB8-991A5B8B453C.jpeg
E9A71E18-5BAB-441D-86BF-CFB1045F5C12.jpeg
F6890BAB-A162-4A75-BCD8-62DB1AD39972.jpeg
4FE8A716-1AC9-49E7-8448-DB97AD856FD5.jpeg

AND YET THEY CHOOSE TO SPITE ME BY DOING THIS
8FBF6C41-845F-4E93-8F1C-54191A07CE53.jpeg

It’s too small for you!!! Stop it!!! I guess the heart wants what it wants, but my Duncan doesn’t like all this new attention

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of ocellaris that were hosted by a kenyan tree. Years they loved that thing and I never had a problem with it dropping babies. I sold both eventually to someone wanting a breeding pair and happy to take their coral too.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a toadstool really hoping the clowns would take to it. I'm now glad they didn't because it's really the biggest diva in my tank. If I even brush up next to it while cleaning or feeding it closes right up! I suspect my xenia might have tolerated their attentions but they weren't into that either.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a toadstool really hoping the clowns would take to it. I'm now glad they didn't because it's really the biggest diva in my tank. If I even brush up next to it while cleaning or feeding it closes right up! I suspect my xenia might have tolerated their attentions but they weren't into that either.
Idk but a fish in the toadstool will most likely have a different reaction to your hand or other object brushing it. Still thinking about it still though. I might just get the toadstool anyway and if the clowns host it, great, if not then I guess they will find a new spot in the tank...

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but a fish in the toadstool will most likely have a different reaction to your hand or other object brushing it. Still thinking about it still though. I might just get the toadstool anyway and if the clowns host it, great, if not then I guess they will find a new spot in the tank...
They adapt well to the tank that they’re in. They’ll pick something to host, don’t worry too much about providing them a specific coral, they may not even pick it. Anemones, Duncan, toadstools, zoas, palys, colt coral, mine even hosted a scoly for a while (weird situation, I’m still confused about it). Just pick corals you like and they’ll host one of them.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also imagine that there is the possibility that the coral would get used to being brushed up against regularly and adapt. My toadstool really only gets touched when a hermit crab takes a shortcut (or decides to molt in the middle of it as one did last month) or when I get careless. I still agree with you, though, a toadstool hosting a clown would be cool. A bit of the anemone look without the complication!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals usually adapt. I had a clown be hosted by a big squammie once. It would go right into its opening and everything. Lay in its mantle during day too. Clam was fine with it. :) You can see the little face of the male too. These were my blackfoot pair. They also loved the leather next to the clam.
DSC_3689.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back