Octo CO2 scrubber and skimmer cover combo recirculates air to save on media

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus has launched a Universal CO2 Scrubber called the C2T-90. At 90mm/3.5” wide and 435mm/17” tall the cylindrical reactor is built to take CO2 absorbing media and can fit into the air inlet of any protein skimmer, but it has some interesting advances too. Instead of having both the inlet and outlet at the…
Source

Continue reading...

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i don't understand much of the function of the Y splitter. if both have a control valve, what purpose does the 2nd one have? connect it to something else? what?

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't understand much of the function of the Y splitter. if both have a control valve, what purpose does the 2nd one have? connect it to something else? what?
The article says "The Y connector then comes into play for users to tweak just how much air they want to recirculate versus new air coming in"

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The article says "The Y connector then comes into play for users to tweak just how much air they want to recirculate versus new air coming in"
that much i understood. but isn't the one you adjust, the valve that connects back to the skimmer head/cup? or does it mean that the 2nd valve is somehow pulling air in to the co2 scrubber from the room/area it is in?

the diagram at the end of the article is pretty self explanatory, but i still don't understand what the 2nd valve is for. perhaps i am overthinking things..

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that much i understood. but isn't the one you adjust, the valve that connects back to the skimmer head/cup? or does it mean that the 2nd valve is somehow pulling air in to the co2 circulator from the room/area it is in?

the diagram at the end of the article is pretty self explanatory, but i still don't understand what the 2nd valve is for. perhaps i am overthinking things..
Yeah I think that open port in the diagram would pull air from wherever you have the scrubber placed, or since so many people these days are running air lines outside, they give you a place to simply plug that line in.

In my particular circumstance, that's exactly what I'll do. I have a line running outside which will go to that open port.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah I think that open port in the diagram would pull air from wherever you have the scrubber placed, or since so many people these days are running air lines outside, they give you a place to simply plug that line in.

In my particular circumstance, that's exactly what I'll do. I have a line running outside which will go to that open port.
wow! this makes much more sense!

i may be able to DIY this to my current phosban 550 co2 scrubber..

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I see is that the skimmate will (possibly) get into the return line.
Yeah that was my first thought too. I'm curious to see how people deal with that.

I did notice that there is an additional output port on their skimmer lid that's capped in the pictures. It's also lower than the output that goes to the scrubber, so conceivably, that would get the skimmate overflowing before the air line to the scrubber. And I assume that's the purpose of that port, so it can run to an overflow reservoir before the air line gets it. But hopefully we'll see more about that soon.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that much i understood. but isn't the one you adjust, the valve that connects back to the skimmer head/cup? or does it mean that the 2nd valve is somehow pulling air in to the co2 scrubber from the room/area it is in?

If you want to bring air from the outside to the system the Y would allow this.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much longer does the media last when recirculating?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much longer does the media last when recirculating?
That would depend on a few factors, mostly the amount of CO2 in the system, high house CO2 likely will cause the media to burn faster.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back