Octo elite 200 int impeller not spinning

optimusprime3605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I acquired a reef octo elite 200 int skimmer about 1 1/2 years ago but has been in a box up until yesterday. Opened box, rinsed and wiped down entire skimmer and placed in sump. Everything was connected properly. Pressed the power button, controller turned on and everything seemed to light up on the controller. Here's the problem, the pump was not working or should I say, the impeller was not turning. Hmmm... Maybe it needed a little help turning, since it has been sitting for over a year. Tried turning the impeller with a toothpick, no luck. Then the 2 blinking red lights started flashing on the controller, some sort of error code. Pressed power button to reset, still nothing. Proceeded to disconnect the pump from skimmer body. Then I took off the volute (not sure on spelling), tried spinning the impeller while powered, still nothing. I could feel it trying to spin but something is not allowing it to do so. Then, I slowly started to remove the impeller cover...voila! It started to spin! I put everything back together and all seemed to be good, and so I thought. Once I turned off the power and turned it back on, I was back to square one, no impeller movement.
So, every time I was able to start the impeller, I had to slowly remove the impeller cover, oh so lightly but once I try to put the volute on it stops spinning.

Don't know if I'm making sense or if anyone can understand my situation. Has anyone had this problem with theirs? Any tips or tricks? Do I need a new impeller?
HELP PLEASE!

OP
OP
O

optimusprime3605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured it out, hopefully .
Well, after watching several videos on the varios 4 pump, there was one video that appeared to have been recorded back in the 90's, but obviously wasn't, and was kinda difficult to understand what the person was saying. He was saying something about the silicone washer-type thingy magiggy underneath the impeller cover. Well, he said, to make sure it was seated correctly, if not, it would not spin correctly thus, possibly getting stuck. I looked at my impeller and noticed the silicone washer was not seated all the down. I pushed down on the cover to seat the washer as best as I could. It seemed like I barely seated the washer in place but low and behold, that did the trick! Without seating the washer, it would wobble a tiny bit but that was enough, I assume, to lock it up.
Thank goodness, it was a very minor fix costing me nothing.
I hope this might help some of you that are having a similar issue...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm glad that you got it figured out and thanks for the follow up - that is a really nice skimmer! I'm sure that someone, somewhere will appreciate the tip in the future!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone!
I acquired a reef octo elite 200 int skimmer about 1 1/2 years ago but has been in a box up until yesterday. Opened box, rinsed and wiped down entire skimmer and placed in sump. Everything was connected properly. Pressed the power button, controller turned on and everything seemed to light up on the controller. Here's the problem, the pump was not working or should I say, the impeller was not turning. Hmmm... Maybe it needed a little help turning, since it has been sitting for over a year. Tried turning the impeller with a toothpick, no luck. Then the 2 blinking red lights started flashing on the controller, some sort of error code. Pressed power button to reset, still nothing. Proceeded to disconnect the pump from skimmer body. Then I took off the volute (not sure on spelling), tried spinning the impeller while powered, still nothing. I could feel it trying to spin but something is not allowing it to do so. Then, I slowly started to remove the impeller cover...voila! It started to spin! I put everything back together and all seemed to be good, and so I thought. Once I turned off the power and turned it back on, I was back to square one, no impeller movement.
So, every time I was able to start the impeller, I had to slowly remove the impeller cover, oh so lightly but once I try to put the volute on it stops spinning.

Don't know if I'm making sense or if anyone can understand my situation. Has anyone had this problem with theirs? Any tips or tricks? Do I need a new impeller?
HELP PLEASE!
Assure there is no old shells, snails, etc. . . . the shaft and bushings are straight and intact and the impeller magnet not scratched or scored. If not, turn gently into a scotch brite pad.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime3605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that you got it figured out and thanks for the follow up - that is a really nice skimmer! I'm sure that someone, somewhere will appreciate the tip in the future!
No worries on the follow-up, anytime.
I do also, concur that this is a very nice skimmer. First time running one and I gotta say, it pulled crap out immediately! Plus, it is whisper-quiet, actually, it's just about silent.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime3605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure there is no old shells, snails, etc. . . . the shaft and bushings are straight and intact and the impeller magnet not scratched or scored. If not, turn gently into a scotch brite pad.
Thank you, I did check and made sure it was clean as a whistle. Magnet has no scuffs or bulging. Silicone washer under impeller cover was not seated properly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back