Octo Light Chaeto Reactor Pros and Cons

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have algae refugium in sump, but it’s effectiveness is not taking care of my nitrates and phosphates.

Thinking of adding a Reef Octopus Light Reactor? Or a Reef Octopus Bio-Pellet Church Reactor.

PROS?
CONS?
COMMENTS PLEASE?

thx

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your No3 and po4 at? You said that the fuge is not effective. Is your chaeto not growing? Do you have your fuge properly lit?

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info how big of a refugium do you have and what kind of light. I only ask cause if it is big enough like 1/3 of your display tank size then use cheato grow to help with the nutrients you need ( if it’s trace elements are missing.) also what light is needed. There is no substitute for par. Most people can guess a range of par output by the kind and wattage of lights.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option is an algae scrubber. It may be more efficient and effective for you. Did you consider one of those. I know some are expensive but it is not hard to make. I promise the DIY section on here is amazing.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if your cheato is dying off instead of growing, then its adding to the rise of po4 and n03. If you do have a decent size fuge, then you want to make sure you're properly lighting it up as well.

I ran into this issue last year when I upgraded the sump in my 90g, and couldnt get any cheato to grow. Was running nitrates at 40-50 and performing 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks. I had a Kessil H80 as a fuge light, and upgraded to a h380 as a fellow R2R reefer recommend me to do. Once I upgraded to the h380, and also removed my filter socks, chaeto is growing like a weed and I'll harvest half a 5 gallon bucket.

A little bit more maintenance in the sump area since I'm running sockless, but the cheato and skimmer are loving life.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why
Also if your cheato is dying off instead of growing, then its adding to the rise of po4 and n03. If you do have a decent size fuge, then you want to make sure you're properly lighting it up as well.

I ran into this issue last year when I upgraded the sump in my 90g, and couldnt get any cheato to grow. Was running nitrates at 40-50 and performing 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks. I had a Kessil H80 as a fuge light, and upgraded to a h380 as a fellow R2R reefer recommend me to do. Once I upgraded to the h380, and also removed my filter socks, chaeto is growing like a weed and I'll harvest half a 5 gallon bucket.

A little bit more maintenance in the sump area since I'm running sockless, but the cheato and skimmer are loving life.
did the lack of filter socks help you. Maybe stuff not being removed made more nutrients.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of filter socks allowed my cheato to absorb more. I'm no scientist by any means, but it just makes logical sense to me. Filter socks and skimmer is removing all the nutrients the cheato is looking for. So by removing my filter socks anything that the skimmer can't remove, the cheato will consume/absorb it. I feed my fish and corals a 6 on a scale of 1-10. Fish get pellets about 4-5 a day, 1 piece of nori, every 2-3 days and frozen every night. My po4 last time I checked was running at .04, and nitrates around 5-10.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most
The lack of filter socks allowed my cheato to absorb more. I'm no scientist by any means, but it just makes logical sense to me. Filter socks and skimmer is removing all the nutrients the cheato is looking for. So by removing my filter socks anything that the skimmer can't remove, the cheato will consume/absorb it. I feed my fish and corals a 6 on a scale of 1-10. Fish get pellets about 4-5 a day, 1 piece of nori, every 2-3 days and frozen every night. My po4 last time I checked was running at .04, and nitrates around 5-10.
Many people think you will be happy feeding less but actually you will be happier feeding more and handling the extra nutrients. Especially when it benefits the tank so much.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most
Many people think you will be happy feeding less but actually you will be happier feeding more and handling the extra nutrients. Especially when it benefits the tank so much.

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your No3 and po4 at? You said that the fuge is not effective. Is your chaeto not growing? Do you have your fuge properly lit?

Lots of cheato. Grows like crazy....about 8" x 8" x 12" area, with 6500k pink light grow LED.

Just not reducing my NO3 and PO3 like I need.

One thing I do not do I have been reading is to harvest algae regularly to remove the nutrients, and get new algae to grow and absorb nutrients. Neve knew this fact??? DUH. Sorry I am still learning.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of cheato. Grows like crazy....about 8" x 8" x 12" area, with 6500k pink light grow LED.

Just not reducing my NO3 and PO3 like I need.

One thing I do not do I have been reading is to harvest algae regularly to remove the nutrients, and get new algae to grow and absorb nutrients. Neve knew this fact??? DUH. Sorry I am still learning.
Removal is a vital part for sure. So put on your Farmer John's and start plowing down that cheato.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back