Octo Pulse 4 too much for 4-foot 120 gallon tank?

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Octo Pulse 4 for my new 120 build (2'x2'x4'), and I'm starting to wonder if it will be too much flow. I know there's no absolute answer to this question. Maybe another way to ask it is: would the Octo Pulse 2 be enough?
I plan on doing a 50/50 mix of LPS and SPS.
I don't have the 120 filled yet, so all I've done so far is test the pump in a 20 gallon long. On 100%, it's just about throwing water out of the tank.

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your return pump. Is that already generating a lot of flow. Is it the only powerhear you have on the tank. I think an octo pulse would be enough running on max output. But the benefit of the pulse 4 is that you could run it below it's max output and achieve an even more quite result.

OP
OP
P

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without actually having tested either one in the 120, that's the conclusion I reached; that the Pulse 2 would have to be near 100%. The only other flow in the tank would be from the return pump, which would be somewhere near ~600gph.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Octo Pulse 4 for my new 120 build (2'x2'x4'), and I'm starting to wonder if it will be too much flow. I know there's no absolute answer to this question. Maybe another way to ask it is: would the Octo Pulse 2 be enough?
I plan on doing a 50/50 mix of LPS and SPS.
I don't have the 120 filled yet, so all I've done so far is test the pump in a 20 gallon long. On 100%, it's just about throwing water out of the tank.

It would be too much flow at the max setting, but you can always dial it back. I wouldn't classify this as complaint necessarily, but we do hear from hobbyists from time to time that tell us they underestimated how powerful the OP4 can be.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend sticking with the Octo Pulse 2 for a 40 Breeder SPS reef, or could you dial down the Octo 4 enough to use in so small a tank?

OP
OP
P

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question - I would think the Pulse 2 would be enough, and the 4 would be too much even dialed way down. I have a 40 breeder frag tank - maybe I'll test the pump in there and see what happens...
My 120 is still dry while I finish the plumbing, but this week I should be able to get water in it, and I'll post an update.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good question - I would think the Pulse 2 would be enough, and the 4 would be too much even dialed way down. I have a 40 breeder frag tank - maybe I'll test the pump in there and see what happens...
My 120 is still dry while I finish the plumbing, but this week I should be able to get water in it, and I'll post an update.
IMO you should wait until you have water in the 120. Testing it in a small tank like a 40 will just make you question your choice again.
Give it a real test, in the planned tank.

OP
OP
P

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to report back - I have the OP-4 in the 120 DT now, and... it's a lot of flow! I have it at the lowest setting or maybe one notch up from that. I have it on the side wall about 9" from the top, and it moves aragonite on the bottom of the tank on the opposite side (+48" away). ;Wideyed

There's not much overlap in the flow rate between OP-2 and OP-4, so I'm glad I have the OP-4, since I would have to have the OP-2 at max setting all the time. Maybe they need to make an OP-3?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They produce the same flow as an MP40QD; of which, I run two on a 150g running at 100% and they lack enough flow (also 4500gph). It would be much better on a four foot tank but my opinion is that you'd be crazy to go any smaller than the OP4. I also run two MP40WEs (twice the flow of an OP2) at 100% on our 75g.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to report back - I have the OP-4 in the 120 DT now, and... it's a lot of flow! I have it at the lowest setting or maybe one notch up from that. I have it on the side wall about 9" from the top, and it moves aragonite on the bottom of the tank on the opposite side (+48" away). ;Wideyed

There's not much overlap in the flow rate between OP-2 and OP-4, so I'm glad I have the OP-4, since I would have to have the OP-2 at max setting all the time. Maybe they need to make an OP-3?

OP-3, not a bad idea. I know they have the Blade pump coming out this year. Each Blade can do 2,113 GPH. You can connect two together like a Gyre to double the flow. Looks neat. You can plug Octo Pulse pumps into the controller too to power them and make them WiFi controllable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back