Octospawn Issue, What to do?

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: 75 Gal, 30Gal Sump, Bubble Magus 5 Skimmer, Fluval Marine 2.0 x2 lights. Nitrate 0, Ammo 0, Phos 0, Calc 400-420, Nitrite 0, PH 8.0, Alk “?” ( Tester on order )

Media- Chemi Pure Elite

Occupants: 2 skunk cleaners, 1 mand goby, 1 purple fire fish, 2 Osc Clowns, BiColor Acan, MultiColor Acan, pink tip Frogspawn, Blue Anthelia, Toadstool,Pink Stylophora, Duncan.

Two days ago my Octospawn decided to recede and not Pop back out. I have included a before and after. All other corals are showing no signs of problems, with growth. I have had the Octo in the tank for 2 months with no ill effects until 2 days ago. The Toadstool and Bicolor Acan are the newest additions, introduced roughly 1-1.5 months ago

Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

B5A6589E-951A-4F8D-8C3D-D862EB09BF48.jpeg D55C8969-A2DD-4574-BEF4-EBDE029CD0D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?

I suspect the lack of nutrients is the culprit here. You need some N03 and P04. Light intensity up and lack of nutrients is a cause of stress.

In the first picture it looks bleached.

Lower your light intensity and consider dosing Nitrate and Phosphate. N03 around 5-10 ppm and P04 around .02.

OP
OP
Robert Riggott

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, reduced the lighting percentage, I dropped from from 95% down to 55%. I’m assuming it’s ok to lower that amount? But I would never raise it that amount, just for caution.

Merkey- Phos is 0

I also forgot to mention in original post, I am running Chemi Pure Elite. Can I remove that to bring up the nutrients? Or maybe shut down the protein skimmer?

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, reduced the lighting percentage, I dropped from from 95% down to 55%. I’m assuming it’s ok to lower that amount? But I would never raise it that amount, just for caution.

Merkey- Phos is 0

I also forgot to mention in original post, I am running Chemi Pure Elite. Can I remove that to bring up the nutrients? Or maybe shut down the protein skimmer?
Its a balance that every reefer struggles to find.

I have the opposite issue as phos is leaking from my rocks right now so I'm trying to keep it down with phosgaurd.

Try doing 1 at a time and see if you notice a difference....im not sure what you're running chemi pure for but maybe start with turning the skimmer off and if no difference after a week then continue with the other. Slow is key with reefing and adding or ripping nutrients too fast can cause bigger issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back