Odontanthias borbonius captive characteristics

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have picked up a small specimen of this wonderfully colored fish, and see as how there is very little on the net about them and their behaviors I figured we need to pool a bit of info in a thread from those that have them.

I have not had mine long enough to have an opinion as to the behaviors yet....If you have one please add what info you can so others my learn from your experiences....

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borbonius anthias, very nice. Never kept any but nice choice!

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEll WEll? You found one ehhh?
Well I know they are very shy for awhile getting use to the light, but onece acclimated seem to be very hardy and eat well. We feed them bio-pure mysis soaked in garlice/selcon and sometimes entice?

They eventually started eating Falke and pellets No problems?

Good luck they are amazing looking fish.

myerst22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have had mine for about 3 months now and he was very secretive at first but now has become very bold. He is by far the smallest fish. He was about 3" when I got him and now he is 4"+ and seems to be growing fast. I have heard from others that their Borbonius are growing fast as well. He's with a 8"+ Black Tang, who seems to dislike the Borbonius the most. Some of his other tank mates include 3 eels, a rhinopias, PBT and a x-mas island emperor. He certainly holds his own and eats anything that hits the water. I would recommend de-worming your Borb as this has been a major issue with these fish. Here are some shots of him. Good luck with your new Borb!!! Regards, Tim

These shots are from Feb. 22

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

People have said that they have seen Borbs fade in color after a few months but I think mine has improved. These were taken a few days ago. Notice how much fatter his belly is now.
IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice fish everyone! My wholesaler has borbonius anthias on sale this week. :)

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not yet he is hiding in the rock work.....I did squirt some mysis down in there and he went for it ate a bit but trying to see him is difficult......Glad to know some of the info you guys have shared.......Mine according to Dr. F&S was dewormed and they had been on their site for about a month.....I got it due to the fact that it was the cheapest price around and of course Dr. F&S customer service and guarantee.....Hopefully he will do great for me.......

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you guys that have them how long did it take for yours to come out and play? Mine is still in the rock work but it is eating, I'm just concerned that it isn't getting enough to eat. It is starting to test the waters of coming out but nothing to say that it is comfortable with it......I know with most anthias they need to eat quite a bit so with it not coming out yet is that just something it will have to get comfortable with? I get so anxiuos with new fish especially ones that are not well known....What do you guys think?

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James, they like to perch and only come out to eat at first; they don't swim around all that often in the beginning. Mine acted the same way when it was first introduced to the tank. No need to worry, once it becomes acclimated, you'll see that they are one of the most active fish out there. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I have to get me one of these....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kigs.......Yea I kinda noticed that tonight almost remind me of a Soaring hawkfish in a way....Right be for the lights went out he actually started to come out and eat in the open so I guess it's all good......Yea Rev you really do I love mine so far has to be one of the prettiest fish in the ocean......Looks like they have some real personality as well....

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll post more info onto this thread. I'll post more as I learn more about them. Color also seems to vary depending on age/size/mood/dominance within a "pack." In the presence of bigger borbonius, little ones tend to stay together but in the absence of adults, they quickly form an order of dominance; Most dominant having the darkest color, and the most submissive being lighter. You can see it here in my trio, most dominant one on the left behind another borb, and the most submissive on the right by itself. My orange cardinal has been having an identity crisis and joined the borbonius trio ever since losing its mate. :D

Light also seems to play a role in their coloration; stronger the light - lighter their overall pigments become (i.e; pink body/yellow dots) where as under a dimmer tank, they will be more darker (yellow body/brown dots). Once they reach 4''+, their color only seems to change into lighter coloration when they are stressed out, or acclimating to a new tank.

trio3-2.jpg

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see yours doing so well Kigs.....Yea mine is starting come out now, the lights just came on and he is out tempting to move farther out. Once he finds out he is only the 2nd fish in the tank I think he will be fine. I also feed him and he is eating mysis, so everything looks good....Hopefully mine will be a darker pink see as how it's the only one, I wouldn't mind a few more but the price is prohibitive for now....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was gone over the weekend and had my wife feeding the tank, well he is coming out quite a bit now even under the bright lights. They don't really act like a normal Anthia from what I can see in the way mine behaves. It is by far the prettiest fish I have had and is eating well and seems to have fattened up a little bit compared to when I got it on Wednesday....Well worth the money!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James, good to hear! You have to post some pics for us

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait for pics! Kigs yours look awesome! So were they paired already?

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get them to pair up. If they are like any anthias, I would assume that one is the dominant male and the rest are females but even when I had 6 or so in the same tank, they all hated being with each other...lol. Right now, I would say the "dominant" two tolerates each other, and gangs up on the 3rd every now and then.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this thing won't pose for the camera I took a small video of it. It comes out much more in the actinic lights then it does in the MH lights still so the video is in actinic lighting.....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back