Of Blood and Salt - A Waterbox 220.6 Build

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is finally time to post my build thread. Now that November is over and all the black and blue sales are compete, I finally have an equipment list, not just a wish list. I have been learning the salty side of aquariums this year on a 32 Biocube LED, so I am still very new and the largest freshwater tank I ever ran was a 55g...years ago. So I am saying Thank You to everyone who contributes here and on facebook, youtube, etc., I couldn't have made it this far without your help! Big thanks to all the other large Waterbox build threads here, especially Eat Sleep Reef who has been extremely helpful with all his youtube videos and posts. So, here is my build, with the intent to have a mixed reef with a decent amount of SPS, some small reef fish, and some larger tangs.

Waterbox 220.6 - White Cabinet
80 lbs CaribSea Special Grade - Live
40 lbs CaribSea Special Grade - Dry
CaribSea Life Rock
E-Marco 400 pink mortar
MarinePure Ceramic Bio Cubes 1/2 cubic foot (Currently cycling in a 10 gallon tank)

Lights - 4 x Hydra 64 HD
Wavemaker - 2 x Gyre XF350
Return pump - Vectra M2
Skimmer - DALUA GW-12
ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3315
Filter Roller - Klir 7
Heater - 2 x BRS 300w Titanium
Heater controller - Ink Bird Wifi ITC-306A
UV - Pentair Smart UV 40w
UV pump - Sicce Syncra Pro 1500
Carbon Reactor - Dual BRS (Sicce 1.5 or manifold)

Apex Controller
EB832 x 2
Trident
DOS
LDK
FMK
AFS
Apex Display (I'll probably sell this, it just came in the bundle)
Dragon Touch K10 Tablet for display (not 100% sure this will work well)

Mixing Station:
BRS 5 stage premium 150 GPD water saver RO/DI
Gladiator shelving (rated @ 2000 lbs per shelf)
2 x Norwesco 50 gallon tank - 18" diameter 52" tall
Jebao DCQ-100w pump
AHRISE wifi smarts power strip
Flo-Master retractable hose reel

Most of this stuff is sitting in boxes at my house or on a UPS truck somewhere. I have the stand built, but without the doors on, but the tank is still sitting in the garage on the shipping pallet. I have a long way to go and a ton to learn, but I am hoping to have the tank functioning and cycling before Christmas. I am waiting on an electrician to come put a dedicated 20 amp circuit in before I move the tank to the stand. I may also run a PVC pipe down the wall while I have the electrician in there, that way if I decide to run 1/4 hose for auto water changes etc in the future, I can just run the hoses down the pipe. I have no idea if that would work well, but I will probably give it a shot. Well I need some sleep now, I figure this posts will get my build thread rolling.

Rock Star Guitar GIF

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is now mounted and ready to go. I just need to run a tube into the attic, across the house, and down into the office where the water mixing tanks are at. My wife didn't want to see the RO system on the wall, so I built a rollout wall next to the dryer. I think it turned out well.

The electrician came by yesterday and set up two dedicated 20 amp circuits for the tank. While he was in there I had him run some jet line and install a face plate so I can run tubing for auto water changes or ato line in the future. That was the last thing holding me up from bringing in the tank. Now I just need to find 3 friends to help lift that massive tank.

Attachments

• DSC_3130.JPG
    DSC_3130.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_3131.JPG
    DSC_3131.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_3129.JPG
    DSC_3129.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_3128.JPG
    DSC_3128.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_3124.JPG
    DSC_3124.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_3122.JPG
    DSC_3122.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_3118.JPG
    DSC_3118.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 170

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MetalHead,

I also just purchased a white waterbox 220.6. It was delivered this week. Question: I'm now unpacking the cabinet and immediately noticed that the smaller of the two cabinet box parts (the exterior pieces) are white. The larger box contains all black components. Is this what you received as well? I haven't started putting it together but I suspect some of these pieces will be partially visible once assembled. I'm wondering if these pieces should be white as well and I got a mis-matched set. I'd like assemble it this weekend and would rather not wait until next week to call Waterbox.

Thanks,

Found my answer in a youtube vid: the interior is black in the white waterbox cabinet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MetalHead,

I also just purchased a white waterbox 220.6. It was delivered this week. Question: I'm now unpacking the cabinet and immediately noticed that the smaller of the two cabinet box parts (the exterior pieces) are white. The larger box contains all black components. Is this what you received as well? I haven't started putting it together but I suspect some of these pieces will be partially visible once assembled. I'm wondering if these pieces should be white as well and I got a mis-matched set. I'd like assemble it this weekend and would rather not wait until next week to call Waterbox.

Thanks,

Found my answer in a youtube vid: the interior is black in the white waterbox cabinet.
I see you found your answer, you are correct on coloring. Also, none of the black will be visible once assembled with all the cabinet doors. I actually just got my tank up on the stand yesterday and finished putting all the doors on. The stand looks great but doesn't come with great instructions. It's not too difficult to figure out. The only problem I had with my stand was one of the holes for the inset door release springs wasn't drilled deep enough. I just used a 1/2" bit to make it deep enough for the spring and it was good to go. Don't forget to adjust the door hinges once all the doors are on and the inset release springs are installed. Good luck!

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumned
Added sand
Adding water

I don't have my full mixing station plumbed, so I'm just running one tank right now. It's going to take a couple of days, but there is enough water to start cycling. I threw a rock in that has been cycling in a 10 gallon with a bunch of media blocks. I'll put the rest of the blocks in the dump before filling it.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 190

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumned
Added sand
Adding water

I don't have my full mixing station plumbed, so I'm just running one tank right now. It's going to take a couple of days, but there is enough water to start cycling. I threw a rock in that has been cycling in a 10 gallon with a bunch of media blocks. I'll put the rest of the blocks in the dump before filling it.
Did you make all 220 + sump water initial fillip from rodi? How long did that take

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!
You are ahead of me. I have the cabinet assembled and leveled but want to do some electrical work on the wall behind the tank before placing the tank on top of the cabinet. I plan on doing that tomorrow. Also, I just ordered the glue and mortar for my rock work... BRS was out of stock for the past couple weeks. I'm also just completing my building my garage workbench, which is where I'll do my rockscaping.
How did you get your tank on top of the cabinet?

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make all 220 + sump water initial fillip from rodi? How long did that take
I am making it all with my own RO DI, but it takes a long time to make it. Roughly 50 gallons every 8 hours. My tank is 50 gallons, I fill it to about the 45-47 gallon mark so I have room to add salt and mix it. Then once I pump the water out, I'm guessing 3-5 gallons remains below the pump. So a rough guess is 40+ gallons of water is in the tank right now. I left early the next day on a hunting trip, so when I get back I'll start filling it again.

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!
You are ahead of me. I have the cabinet assembled and leveled but want to do some electrical work on the wall behind the tank before placing the tank on top of the cabinet. I plan on doing that tomorrow. Also, I just ordered the glue and mortar for my rock work... BRS was out of stock for the past couple weeks. I'm also just completing my building my garage workbench, which is where I'll do my rockscaping.
How did you get your tank on top of the cabinet?
I had 3 other people help me move it. I used two flat furniture rollers (basically a square of 2x4s with 4 wheels) and 4 suction cup handles. I rolled it until we got to the front door step and from there we lifted it up and brought it into the living room where we set it back down on the rollers. Then we just picked it up again and set it on the stand. Definitely put the tallest people on the edge that gets put on the stand first, they will have to lift it the highest. It wasn't all that hard, everyone just need to be able to lift about 120 pounds and it will go smooth.

What electrical are you doing? I'm glad I put in two 20 amp circuits so I don't have to worry about my breakers, also, setting up a jet line to pull down some tubing in the future will be very helpful. Some day I'll set up auto water changes, but it will be a while before I get there.

I designed my scape on plastic table, and it sunk in a bit, so I had to move it to my hardwood kitchen table to mortar it. It sucked having set up the way I wanted it and then trying to move it all back into place, but it worked out. Once I morted most of it together I moved it back to the plastic table and ended up breaking a few of the joints. That actually worked in my favor though, it was much easier setting my huge scape in the tank in smaller sections than two large pieces. Also, cover your glass well when moving the scape in, I was super careful when I did it and set card board on the glass. I took it out when I was mostly done and ended up moving just a couple rock pieces, and of course hit the glass with a rock... Fudge... I now have about an inch long scratch on the front glass, luckily its low and not right on the middle... I think I had 5 sections of the rock scape to put in instead of one giant piece, definitely make it in sections and glue/mortar the last couple joints in the tank.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making it all with my own RO DI, but it takes a long time to make it. Roughly 50 gallons every 8 hours. My tank is 50 gallons, I fill it to about the 45-47 gallon mark so I have room to add salt and mix it. Then once I pump the water out, I'm guessing 3-5 gallons remains below the pump. So a rough guess is 40+ gallons of water is in the tank right now. I left early the next day on a hunting trip, so when I get back I'll start filling it again.
How many gpd is your membrane?

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he has a 200 GPD membrane, I also have a 200 GPD, 7 stage ROID filter.

Electrical work: I just finished adding a 20amp dedicated circuit that is positioned in the upper left window inside the cabinet. This will be in addition to another electrical outlet on the same wall. I also purchased a 4200 joule surge protector for the tank today, between that and the apex I should have a stupid amount of sockets and plenty of electrical capacity.

I new to the area so I don't have 3 strong friends to help me move the tank... still thinking of a solution for that.

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he has a 200 GPD membrane, I also have a 200 GPD, 7 stage ROID filter.

Electrical work: I just finished adding a 20amp dedicated circuit that is positioned in the upper left window inside the cabinet. This will be in addition to another electrical outlet on the same wall. I also purchased a 4200 joule surge protector for the tank today, between that and the apex I should have a stupid amount of sockets and plenty of electrical capacity.

I new to the area so I don't have 3 strong friends to help me move the tank... still thinking of a solution for that.
Maybe pay a moving company? Not ideal, but if that is what it takes... Or get to know a couple neighbors quick, BBQ, pizza, beer etc could be helpful. Haha. I took my buddies out to lunch for their help.

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update, I’ll make a few posts to spread out the projects.

I finally filled the tank the rest of the way on the 21st, and started the cycle with microbacter 7 and dead shrimp. However, I did put in some rock and bio bricks that had already cycled for a few months. The water stayed cloudy for a few weeks, I added some microbacter start XLM and the cloudy water was gone over night.

DSC_0160.JPG

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the tank was cycling, I started working on my mixing station. This was my first time working with PVC and it wasn't too hard, it just takes time measuring everything out and trying to plan out every part I needed. I ended up with 95% of what I needed and had to make an extra order to BRS for a few fittings. But nothing leake, so that in itself is a huge success. Overall, I'm happy with how it all turned out, and the Jebao pump is working great for mixing and filling.

I did try to install a auto hose real with food grade tubing. I followed Eatsleepreef's video to help me get it all set up. It was not easy putting the real cover back on with the guides all straight, but we did get it all back together. Unfortunately, it leaked, so I took it all apart again and checked every connection and couldn't figure out what was leaking. I did this a few times and could never figure out why it was leaking. Not sure if I did something wrong or it was defective, but I couldn't get it to stop leaking. I might try a different hose real at some point, but for now I'll just hand roll it.

DSC_0174.JPG DSC_0176.JPG

OP
OP
BifrostReefer

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next, I set up my Apex and built 2 controller boards, one that holds the two EB832's and one that holds all the different controllers. Like everything else, this is the first controller board I have built, so I didn’t know exactly how to attach it. I thought about hinges but didn’t think there would really be enough room in the cabinet for 2 boards on hinges to function, so I ended up just using L shaped shelve brackets. I put some screws in the bottom of the cabinet so the L brackets could slide on the screws and be held in place. It’s an ok design, but it’s really tight and a major PITA to get these boards in and out.

The only problem I came to that really stumped me (at about 230 am when I really just wanted to go to sleep) was why my Vectra return pump wouldn’t power on, the controller just flashed green, which means it’s not getting enough power. I figured out I plugged in the AI fuge light power cord into the controller, and not the Vectra power cord. Once I got that all switched back, everything worked fine. I tried to get all the equipment set up in Apex that night as well, but my wife came out at 3 am and reminded me what time it was… I got most of it done the following day.

DSC_0151.JPG DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0141.JPG DSC_0139.JPG DSC_0134.JPG DSC_0133.JPG DSC_0104.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back