# of clownfish in 20 gal AIO

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep jilly, i would look for aggression in the future as the paired 2 will most likely kill the smaller one. There are stubby clowns but i think it has to do with missing a vertebrate or something and i havent seen them in a while, nor does it being smaller mean you can have more of them. I also dont think we should necessarily be breeding these types as it might be more of a deformity that could effect breeding or lifespan (im not positive on this though)
I have a 30 gal as well I could move him into. There's an adolescent orchid dottyback and Haitian anemone so that's a little concerning to me. Ya I think I will just keep him with his friends in the main display until I see aggression.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a detective! Haha but I moved my scopa in my 50 gallon now and I sold my lemonpeel as it was eating my corals.
ya unfortunatly its really a coinflip with most centropyge

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gal as well I could move him into. There's an adolescent orchid dottyback and Haitian anemone so that's a little concerning to me. Ya I think I will just keep him with his friends in the main display until I see aggression.
absolutely perfect plan

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nvm that just a baby. Id definitely worry about 6 months from now but could be fine
Well him and the medium sized one I got were around the same size when I got them and the medium size is growing alot quicker. Why is he so red orange though?

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 38

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well him and the medium sized one I got were around the same size when I got them and the medium size is growing alot quicker. Why is he so red orange though?
id say just natural coloring variation

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a regular clown looks like to me. No dwarfs or nanos. They all grow to 5" eventually. When they mature and the sex of the fish settles they will become territorial and start fighting maybe. You could get nems but that would prob raise the aggression and territory issues.
Clownfish are actually damsel fish.
Hths. Urs are cute and look good. Lol
D
I already have that nem that's why I'm gonna wait to move him until he's a little bigger. It's a big nem and would eat my small baby lol

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whered you not understand im curious now lol
He comments on my posts and gives me advice and some I totally don't understand what he's talking about, not that particular post lol

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is 2....and that is only for now as they will outgrow that tank. I have 2 clowns that run the entire 180g tank. They get half and all my other fish huddle on the other half....

Attachments

• 20210412_205039.jpg
    20210412_205039.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210412_205031.jpg
    20210412_205031.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no desire to upgrade this tank since i already have a 125g tank. this is just something for my kids to play with.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just natural color variations. Some also get a bit dark/blackish for example.
I already have that nem that's why I'm gonna wait to move him until he's a little bigger. It's a big nem and would eat my small baby lol
Nah your clown will be fine with the nem, whether a nem will eat a clown does not depend on the size of the clown. It just depends on if the clown is dead or alive (nems that host clowns do not eat clowns unless the clown is already dead, or perhaps dying).

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just natural color variations. Some also get a bit dark/blackish for example.

Nah your clown will be fine with the nem, whether a nem will eat a clown does not depend on the size of the clown. It just depends on if the clown is dead or alive (nems that host clowns do not eat clowns unless the clown is already dead, or perhaps dying).
Ok the guy that sold it said it had already killed some clowns after hosting. That the Haitian anemone can only host clarkii clowns because they have thicker slimecoat

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the guy that sold it said it had already killed some clowns after hosting. That the Haitian anemone can only host clarkii clowns because they have thicker slimecoat
Oh my bad, did not realize it was a haitian. There is some evidence that the clarkii slime coat may be the reason why they can go into haitians and stuff, but so far I have not found any definite evidence. It is still more correlative than causative as far as I am aware, but there are still so many more papers on clownfish I have yet to read.

With that said, if you search this sub-forum for 'condylactis clownfish' or similar search terms, you'll see threads where non-clarkii clownfish have taken to haitians.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my bad, did not realize it was a haitian. There is some evidence that the clarkii slime coat may be the reason why they can go into haitians and stuff, but so far I have not found any definite evidence. It is still more correlative than causative as far as I am aware, but there are still so many more papers on clownfish I have yet to read.

With that said, if you search this sub-forum for 'condylactis clownfish' or similar search terms, you'll see threads where non-clarkii clownfish have taken to haitians.
I did see a post of regular clowns being hosted but apparently it killed the Haitian, idk.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back