Official Acanthophyllia, Cynarina, and Indophyllia show off (and appreciation) thread!

Which is best?

• Total voters

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...
I noticed that only true "pet corals", Acanthos, Cynos, and the like, don't yet have an appreciation thread. So here it is! Post pictures and ask questions here.
Acanthos & relatives,in my opinion, are some of the coolest corals out there. They come in so many different forms and colors, it's just so amazing. They also have so much more personality! When eating, they can put nearly all of their mas into their tentacles, almost looking like a sick anemone.

I appreciate any feedback, pictures required or else you will be named a freshwater spy and banned from the forum. (just kidding! But pictures make the world go round so...)

You all have a nice day, and God bless you all!

(I probably just made the longest named monster in the history of Reef2Reef... Sorry)

IMG_1558.JPG IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1567.JPG

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, quite the collection! That Indo in the second pic looks amazing!
Sadly, in my area this family of corals is very expensive (east coast prices are generally higher due to an extra day in transit and higher DOA rates because of it) and are therefore hard to collect. I currently own three acanthos, I'm hoping to buy a Cyno in the future though.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, these are all so unique! The pink and green one to the right has to be my favorite of the bunch, but it's close.
Thanks! It was hard to pass up. I'm told it's likely an indophyllia. Definitely not and acanto. But toss up between a cynarina or indophyllia, tbh...given coloring and lack of translucency throughout, probably indo.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It was hard to pass up. I'm told it's likely an indophyllia. Definitely not and acanto. But toss up between a cynarina or indophyllia, tbh...given coloring and lack of translucency throughout, probably indo.
Yeah I was thinking Indo as well, the texture is far too rough to be a Cynarina. Sadly, in my area there doesn't seem to be a high demand for meat corals so they don't arrive here often. I'm hoping to find some better indos here in the future though as they've got to be my favorites.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking Indo as well, the texture is far too rough to be a Cynarina. Sadly, in my area there doesn't seem to be a high demand for meat corals so they don't arrive here often. I'm hoping to find some better indos here in the future though as they've got to be my favorites.
Luckily we have some of the best LFS here... But between local and online, I have been very lucky and broke. The indo was from @Pieces of the Ocean out of NY, in fact. Great folks with lots of amazing pieces... (unfortunately for my wallet).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back