Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post 3: August entry
Received May 4th, 2021

August entry... moving to Springs in two weeks so let's see if it makes it.
20210821_141205.jpg

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna have to use this as my skip month. To be honest, I'm embarrassed. My tank went through a mini crash recently. Every acro was affected and several died. The bonfire is still alive, but it has battle scars. 2 factors played into this. 1) Lack of food. Filter rollers are an awesome tool, but there's also a reason they have a bypass. Filtering every little particulate out of the water just so you have clearer water is a bad thing. My guess is this combined with number 2 did it. 2) Heavy metals. I've sent in 2 tests over the last several months that showed heavy metals. The levels weren't ridiculous, but there were traces. I couldn't find rust anywhere, and I looked everywhere. I have no clue where it could be coming from. I use a 7-stage rodi filter for 20 tds water, so it's definitely not that. I cut back on water changes during that time as nutrients were low from the roller, so I'm sure it built up. After several consecutive water changes, things are turning around. I'll have to keep them up until I find out where the contaminant is.

Great job to everyone else. Obviously I'm doing something wrong because I was never even close.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna have to use this as my skip month. To be honest, I'm embarrassed. My tank went through a mini crash recently. Every acro was affected and several died. The bonfire is still alive, but it has battle scars. 2 factors played into this. 1) Lack of food. Filter rollers are an awesome tool, but there's also a reason they have a bypass. Filtering every little particulate out of the water just so you have clearer water is a bad thing. My guess is this combined with number 2 did it. 2) Heavy metals. I've sent in 2 tests over the last several months that showed heavy metals. The levels weren't ridiculous, but there were traces. I couldn't find rust anywhere, and I looked everywhere. I have no clue where it could be coming from. I use a 7-stage rodi filter for 20 tds water, so it's definitely not that. I cut back on water changes during that time as nutrients were low from the roller, so I'm sure it built up. After several consecutive water changes, things are turning around. I'll have to keep them up until I find out where the contaminant is.

Great job to everyone else. Obviously I'm doing something wrong because I was never even close.
Hang in there. We are all one bonehead mistake away from catastrophe. I am away on vacation now and checking my APEX every hour or two.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
August entry. Still hovering at 1” but getting a ton of branches forming at the base
That is some nice growth there. We really should be measuring growth by displacement. But then, you would likely win. So, never mind. Forget I said anything.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
August update: Not much growth. I was really confused as it seemed almost shorter this month, but it's just because it's thickening around the base lol I think of all of the contestants, I mounted my coral at the worst angle possible, sorry!
Over the month growth kind of stopped, I stopped dosing in late July and my alk dropped to 6 ;Facepalm However, in less than a week after dosing this bad boy has finally reached the rock! all of the growth around the base is brand new this past week, so I'm still hopeful for the coming months. Everyone is looking great thus far!

IMG_2813.JPG IMG_2814.JPG

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my August pic just under the wire. I've been gone on vacation for the last 2 weeks and snapped these quick pics before leaving on Aug. 19. I'll be back home tomorrow and hope the frag survived. My tank-sitter said an anemone is missing and the water is murky. Of course it is. Something always happens when I go on vacation.

B9AD2393-A8CB-484C-8424-2668170A9677.jpeg
A3F1211E-EAE5-415A-916D-F2255662E39E.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my August pic just under the wire. I've been gone on vacation for the last 2 weeks and snapped these quick pics before leaving on Aug. 19. I'll be back home tomorrow and hope the frag survived. My tank-sitter said an anemone is missing and the water is murky. Of course it is. Something always happens when I go on vacation.

B9AD2393-A8CB-484C-8424-2668170A9677.jpeg
A3F1211E-EAE5-415A-916D-F2255662E39E.jpeg
I hope everything is okay! Vacations are always prime times for things to go wrong.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back