Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
727E2730-AD28-4D0D-9E7B-7921820F99CA.jpeg

This months entry. It’s really starting to color up and getting lots of sprouts.
Here’s one from the top to see some of its encrusting
7B693AB8-2EAB-4B54-9F5A-44042D8FBB65.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@IslandLifeReef what are you doing to manage the cyano that seems most effective? I see it popping up in my frag system when nutrients get "out of phase" with each other. In my case, PO4 increasing while NO3 remains low. so at 5 : .05 I am fine, but 5 : .15 I start getting some cyano.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@IslandLifeReef what are you doing to manage the cyano that seems most effective? I see it popping up in my frag system when nutrients get "out of phase" with each other. In my case, PO4 increasing while NO3 remains low. so at 5 : .05 I am fine, but 5 : .15 I start getting some cyano.

Trying to get the nutrients balanced seems to be the best. I think I had a bad batch of powder for my Hanna ULR. I only test every other week, and my PO4 was always around 0.02. When I received a new batch of powder, I tested PO4 and got a reading of 0.08. My NO3 stays under 2 ppm. I used the last packet of powder from the previous batch to test again and came up with 0.02 with the old batch. I then did a third test with the new batch of powder and PO4 was at 0.08 again. So, I added phosguard to reduce PO4. I have also been adding Microbacter7 weekly as well as cleanly the sand thoroughly during water changes. I think all has helped, but getting the NO3 and PO4 to a more balanced state seems to have had the biggest effect. I now have NO3 at 2 ppm, and PO4 at 0.03 ppm.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No BTAs in this tank. This one hasn't moved much, but it's become a monster. Probably over 5" when it's fully inflated. Can't really tell from the pic since it's folded over the rock right now. Gotta find somewhere to put the PC rainbow and birdsnest too...
KIMG0975.JPG

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No BTAs in this tank. This one hasn't moved much, but it's become a monster. Probably over 5" when it's fully inflated. Can't really tell from the pic since it's folded over the rock right now. Gotta find somewhere to put the PC rainbow and birdsnest too...
KIMG0975.JPG
My BTA's get huge! Especially with a clown hosting it. Close to a foot around. They start to grow into other things. RFA's stay close to the bottom, But mine have spawned and I have them all over now. We'll see how that goes as they grow.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all don't know the struggles. I remember back in the day in the 80's when you were doing good to keep an anemone alive for 6 months to a year. Mine have split about 4-5 times now.
First time they did I was so excited! Now I wish they wouldn't.
Chasing those buggers around to get them out is a pain!
Almost as bad as aptasia. Only bigger.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all don't know the struggles. I remember back in the day in the 80's when you were doing good to keep an anemone alive for 6 months to a year. Mine have split about 4-5 times now.
First time they did I was so excited! Now I wish they wouldn't.
Chasing those buggers around to get them out is a pain!
Almost as bad as aptasia. Only bigger.
Yep, they're basically just giant aptasia.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So......... March is coming up then April. Still nothing from Branchinghammer.
I think he's gone AWOL! We all need to decide a plan of action to implement before the end of the contest. Better to get it in place now than wait till the absolute end. Suggestions??

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So......... March is coming up then April. Still nothing from Branchinghammer.
I think he's gone AWOL! We all need to decide a plan of action to implement before the end of the contest. Better to get it in place now than wait till the absolute end. Suggestions??
It looks like he just recently returned to the forums. Let’s give him a chance to respond.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @Scdell has this thing in the bag... As long as he doesn't kill it!

@ReefBeta is a close second.

Don't count out @chopper320 though. That thing looks like it's ready to explode!

Who really cares about the prize though, right? I mean... Another battle box would probably need I need a bigger tank and that bigger tank will be awfully difficult to set-up/maintain in a doghouse...

Look at it this way. At the very least, we all got some nice pieces for a discount price from a top tier vendor.
Even if @Battlecorals doesn't step in for @BranchingHammer and declare a winner, it has still been a very entertaining learning experience.

Prizes or not, these should happen more often!

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam is a busy man. He's not going to be monitoring this thread.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back