Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply am here to help, I can see how this could be really frustrating :( Perhaps take the contest into overtime? Maybe a 2 to 3 month sudden death? This way, a true winner can be declared... My only hope is to not deter a future BC grow out contest. Competition can sometimes be difficult, but there should always be a winner, otherwise, why have one ;) Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Cheers

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply am here to help, I can see how this could be really frustrating :( Perhaps take the contest into overtime? Maybe a 2 to 3 month sudden death? This way, a true winner can be declared... My only hope is to not deter a future BC grow out contest. Competition can sometimes be difficult, but there should always be a winner, otherwise, why have one ;) Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Cheers
Thank you. I suggest trying to get up with Branchinghammer and Adam to see what's going on. The contest has been run and the final pics have been submitted. I don't see the point of extending it. If this is something you want to do to help it will be appreciated by all.
Thank you again.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I suggest trying to get up with Branchinghammer and Adam to see what's going on. The contest has been run and the final pics have been submitted. I don't see the point of extending it. If this is something you want to do to help it will be appreciated by all.
Thank you again.

Yes,
I am here to help, ultimately it's the contestants and Adam's decision.
Cheers

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "vote" is for Adam to pick the two winners. Everyone's final pics look so close! I tried to go back through to make my two selections and couldn't conclude. Growth is so relative (tallest, widest, most coralites, etc.), I think we just let Adam pick since that was the original intention.

Been a fun heated contest!

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "vote" is for Adam to pick the two winners. Everyone's final pics look so close! I tried to go back through to make my two selections and couldn't conclude. Growth is so relative (tallest, widest, most coralites, etc.), I think we just let Adam pick since that was the original intention.

Been a fun heated contest!
I'm fine with this.

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I’m officially responding, I don’t think it makes sense in any way not to declare the winners, first and second place, as described in the contest rules. I think 99% of people viewing this thread understood that scdell was joking when he suggested we call it a tie.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only hope is to not deter a future BC grow out contest.
That is exactly what this entire thread has done. I got a bonfire shortly after the contest started so I have been following the contest since near the beginning just so I can track my growth compared to everyone else’s. After all of the drama and arguing in this thread for the last 6 months or so there is no chance I would participate in the future. I wouldn’t want to pay for a coral just to spend a year arguing online.

My suggestion is that if there is another BC grow out contest maybe two people should simultaneously track entries so that if one person ghosts the group there is someone else to fill in. I can’t imagine it would be that hard to find enough people willing to do it.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what this entire thread has done. I got a bonfire shortly after the contest started so I have been following the contest since near the beginning just so I can track my growth compared to everyone else’s. After all of the drama and arguing in this thread for the last 6 months or so there is no chance I would participate in the future. I wouldn’t want to pay for a coral just to spend a year arguing online.

My suggestion is that if there is another BC grow out contest maybe two people should simultaneously track entries so that if one person ghosts the group there is someone else to fill in. I can’t imagine it would be that hard to find enough people willing to do it.

I have to disagree. For the most part, everyone was very positive. I think everyone had fun! There was only a little bickering. Pretty good for a thread that has been going for over a year.

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree. For the most part, everyone was very positive. I think everyone had fun! There was only a little bickering. Pretty good for a thread that has been going for over a year.
Seconded...I really really enjoyed it. There was one disagreement about letting some rules slide with a missed picture and like everything, it worked itself out!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded...I really really enjoyed it. There was one disagreement about letting some rules slide with a missed picture and like everything, it worked itself out!

Maybe as an outsider looking in I focused more on the bad and didn’t pay enough attention to the positive.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done. I'm taking myself out. I don't need any more corals, I have no room. I got into this contest to see how I did compared to everyone else. That question has been answered.
I'll never get in another one of these again....we all did our part, followed the rules, etc, etc, etc.
But the powers that be don't seem to care or have the respect for doing that. I call BS on that.
Thanks everyone. It was fun. I'm glad I did it, but also quite disappointed in how it all came down.
I didn't go through this to get a run-around. I put a year into this. For what???

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BranchingHammer ...... Last seen on here 6:06 yesterday. Nothing here.
Been on here during his disappearance the last time also. When he said he had no time to even sleep.. How long are people going to play along with him?

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might get about like waiting for the IOND.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just guessing here, but branchinghammer logged in on May 13, a few days after Gtinnel left his post complaining about our behavior on this thread. Gtinnel was totally out of line and completely wrong btw. We had a disagreement back in January for only 2 days, but he made it sound like there was constant fighting for 6 months!! Why???? Since Branchinghammer hasn't been keeping up with our posts, that negative post might have been a turnoff if he believed it to be true (it wasn't). We've all been kind and encouraging to one another.

Not sure why someone would feel compelled to insert themselves into our thread and muddy the water.

Adam should pick a winner when he has the time.
Wait are you saying that my one post expressing my opinion caused the end of this whole contest to fail?
This seems like a stretch to me. I have been following this thread almost the entire time but never really posted.

I will unfollow the thread and no longer watch or post since my one post of my opinion was so offensive and apparently in your eyes ruined the whole thing.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait are you saying that my one post expressing my opinion caused the end of this whole contest to fail?
This seems like a stretch to me. I have been following this thread almost the entire time but never really posted.

I will unfollow the thread and no longer watch or post since my one post of my opinion was so offensive and apparently in your eyes ruined the whole thing.

You're right, of course. Maybe we'll hear something soon. Hope so.

Last edited:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9D9DFD91-BB8E-407C-B985-A22C690E0ECA.gif

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why people are reading things into this that just aren't there.
All it comes down to is someone not holding up their end of the deal....
I understand the frustration that everyone is feeling, and I'll start working immediately on making this contest run smoother for its last few months. I understand if you do not accept my apology, but I'll do my best to make up for my past mistakes.
Good intentions not realized....

I will post a list of people who made it to the end without getting disqualified once all submissions are in, and the list with growth progression pictures will be sent to Adam for judging in May.
Any one seen this so called list?

People are confused and frustrated. They put a year into this to see no reasonable end or final outcome.
And the reason for that lies with Branchinghammer not doing what he promised.
If it's true and he checked in here on the 13th and didn't address things? That only confirms it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back