Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
June submission. Bigger in every way… new branches starting also.

5C4A5AB2-3A44-47F0-80D2-2DF85005166A.jpeg 5A3DB98D-2E70-4179-8C1F-A110A8F0F1B8.jpeg

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my June '21 entry. Definitely seeing some vertical growth and some encrusting going on. Nutrients bottomed out on me, so you'll see a little residual dinos, but thankfully alk was stable the whole time as I raised them back up. Everything is moving forward and upwards. Pretty crazy coraline algae coverage on that disc in only a short couple months...just saying...

Attachments

• 20210622_181002.jpg
    20210622_181002.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210622_180533.jpg
    20210622_180533.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 66

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I weigh my recent frag tank developments, I am not so certain I will (again) crush all hopes in this month of the competition. Lets list my current excuses:

a) I rehomed 2 fish that reliably delivered a ton of fish poo daily. 16 inches of fish. Almost that much in poo/day. Priceless.
b) CaRx broke. Alright, I broke it. I blame a faulty regulator.
c) Rusty 2-Part dosing discipline post CaRx explosion. Recent range 6.9 to 9.3.

So, MAYBE a few of you have a window. Who will capitalize now? Who will need to wait another month? What are your excuses?

We are all still learning. Pics tomorrow -- I mean it this time.

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I weigh my recent frag tank developments, I am not so certain I will (again) crush all hopes in this month of the competition. Lets list my current excuses:

a) I rehomed 2 fish that reliably delivered a ton of fish poo daily. 16 inches of fish. Almost that much in poo/day. Priceless.
b) CaRx broke. Alright, I broke it. I blame a faulty regulator.
c) Rusty 2-Part dosing discipline post CaRx explosion. Recent range 6.9 to 9.3.

So, MAYBE a few of you have a window. Who will capitalize now? Who will need to wait another month? What are your excuses?

We are all still learning. Pics tomorrow -- I mean it this time.
My excuse is I think BRS Rox 0.8 might’ve burnt one of my tips going into month 3…. That and the first of three interceptor treatments is complete so I sort of have an excuse. The only good thing is the Bonfire frag still seems to be doing good.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June submission. It's grown a little taller. Also, a top-down shot to show the colors that are hard to see when looking at it through the glass.

9EE7C920-E40F-452F-A6EB-D16C314E5D1B.jpeg

477878DC-8F54-4039-B305-B813F32402EF.jpeg
After seeing your pictures, @ScottB is probably putting his picture off even longer;Playful. Nice work!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing your pictures, @ScottB is probably putting his picture off even longer;Playful. Nice work!
My frag has been carbo-loading in prep for the June photo.

I'll pop the urine sample in the mail to you later today. ;)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April:
IMG-5071 (1).jpg

May:

IMG-5213.jpg

Well I think I had JUST enough growth this month to keep going with the trash talk...

ALK swings don't kill, but they don't help either. I busted my million dollar calcium reactor and got a little clumsy/rusty on firing up the doser. My nutrients are also falling, but I had lots of room for that really.

A question for the Rules Committee:

Can I start measuring from the encrusting edge instead of the top of the plug? Pretty please? How much does a favorable ruling cost? How much does it cost to be appointed as Chair of the Rules Committee? @BranchingHammer , who do I make the check out to?

OK folks, you may now commence with the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Please just mute yourself first.
IMG-5297.jpg

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I had JUST enough growth this month to keep going with the trash talk...

ALK swings don't kill, but they don't help either. I busted my million dollar calcium reactor and got a little clumsy/rusty on firing up the doser. My nutrients are also falling, but I had lots of room for that really.

A question for the Rules Committee:

Can I start measuring from the encrusting edge instead of the top of the plug? Pretty please? How much does a favorable ruling cost? How much does it cost to be appointed as Chair of the Rules Committee? @BranchingHammer , who do I make the check out to?

OK folks, you may now commence with the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Please just mute yourself first.
IMG-5297.jpg
Nice growth! And to think mine is just now encrusting to the edge...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice growth! And to think mine is just now encrusting to the edge...
I think Adam @Battlecorals likes me. He shipped me a nice fat chunk that was just hitting puberty at about 3/4". Actually .745 of an inch to be precise.

It was a big growth spirt that first month. Just eyeballing the math though, my RATE of growth this period was half of the prior month. I gotta try harder. Need more fish poo.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Adam @Battlecorals likes me. He shipped me a nice fat chunk that was just hitting puberty at about 3/4". Actually .745 of an inch to be precise.

It was a big growth spirt that first month. Just eyeballing the math though, my RATE of growth this period was half of the prior month. I gotta try harder. Need more fish poo.
Well you said exponential growth, just not decreasing exponential growth LOL.

Just kidding, trying to encourage some friendly banter on this thread. Nice job.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't be sure, but I strongly suspect that your frag is growing so fast because it's trying to outrun the flatworms!! :p

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be sure, but I strongly suspect that your frag is growing so fast because it's trying to outrun the flatworms!! :p
I am clearly posting too much "personal" information on this forum. But yeah, round 2. :(

It is really strange how selective my worms are. I have a dozen or so frag racks packed with 30 different acropora across maybe 50-60 pieces and my worms just keep attacking the same 3-4 tenuis and milli. Still, you have to dip all of it.

I wish they would prefer my acre of Bali green slimer but nooooooo. Too pedestrian.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am clearly posting too much "personal" information on this forum. But yeah, round 2. :(

It is really strange how selective my worms are. I have a dozen or so frag racks packed with 30 different acropora across maybe 50-60 pieces and my worms just keep attacking the same 3-4 tenuis and milli. Still, you have to dip all of it.

I wish they would prefer my acre of Bali green slimer but nooooooo. Too pedestrian.

Many of us have been there. My run-in with AEFW was in 2018 and the only cure was to upgrade to a bigger tank and not let the worms get in. o_O I hope I never have to deal with them again.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back