Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as expected, there was an issue during vacation last month. My WD got knocked loose and of course it landed on my Bonfire frag. My tank sitter wasn't experienced enough to watch for those sort of events, so I don't know how many days the 2 frags were up close and personal. The Bonfire lost the fight, but I was able to frag the dead area and all is good.

Here's the frag after surgery on Sept. 3:

089DD6E0-6535-4A91-8B83-AE5ACB931D9D.jpeg

Here it is today, the area has healed:

7ABD7549-7A16-498A-96A1-D3E3B37EB80D.jpeg

And here is my September ruler pic:

7F1F0055-5C32-43F7-8448-FE5076EE9664.jpeg

It has almost doubled in height so I'm happy with the progress so far.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as expected, there was an issue during vacation last month. My WD got knocked loose and of course it landed on my Bonfire frag. My tank sitter wasn't experienced enough to watch for those sort of events, so I don't know how many days the 2 frags were up close and personal. The Bonfire lost the fight, but I was able to frag the dead area and all is good.

Here's the frag after surgery on Sept. 3:

089DD6E0-6535-4A91-8B83-AE5ACB931D9D.jpeg

Here it is today, the area has healed:

7ABD7549-7A16-498A-96A1-D3E3B37EB80D.jpeg

And here is my September ruler pic:

7F1F0055-5C32-43F7-8448-FE5076EE9664.jpeg

It has almost doubled in height so I'm happy with the progress so far.
Nice surgery doctor! Do you make house calls?:)

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I'm out. I wound up losing 80% of the Bonfire. I cut off the dead tissue, so I'm left with only a small nub. I'm not even sure it's going to make it. Only 1 out of 10+ acros weren't affected by my recent crash. Definitely bummed, but it just means I'll have to work harder.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging @ScottB in case you got bumped from this thread. Many of us wait anxiously to see your growth pics and today's the last day to post September's pic. ;Cat
Oh Lordy. Thank you so much for the tag @Kattkrazie. Been traveling (finally!) most of the month and it disappeared on me. I'll grab a quick pic.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Lordy. Thank you so much for the tag @Kattkrazie. Been traveling (finally!) most of the month and it disappeared on me. I'll grab a quick pic.
For clarity, the frag didn't disappear -- but the month of September most certainly did.

Whelp, while this piece was once a young sprout that was reaching for the light every day, I must admit it has settled into a comfortable "Hey. Whats the rush?" kind of posture the last three months. I went through this phase as well so I won't judge too harshly. Kinda feels equivalent to me in my years 17 to 20. I am going to trust this one will figure it out as we head toward the back half of this grow-out.

No need to weep this month good people. Gotta love the colors though, right?

IMG-5473.JPG

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is happy, happy, happy!
Haha thanks. I've had another Bonfire for roughly 10 months now that was unaffected from my mistake that I wish was my contest piece since it is tabling and looking really nice..... Oh well.. you live and learn.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I'm out. I wound up losing 80% of the Bonfire. I cut off the dead tissue, so I'm left with only a small nub. I'm not even sure it's going to make it. Only 1 out of 10+ acros weren't affected by my recent crash. Definitely bummed, but it just means I'll have to work harder.
Really sorry to hear about that. I find that fully describing what led to the "crash" helps me really understand, remember, and avoid as I go forward. There are so many variables in this kind of animal husbandry. They are almost countless. Give it some thought and detail it for us. It will make you a better reefer and help us as well.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks. I've had another Bonfire for roughly 10 months now that was unaffected from my mistake that I wish was my contest piece since it is tabling and looking really nice..... Oh well.. you live and learn.
Yeah mine isn't growing upward. It's growing sideways. Not as hairy as yours.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
095BBC86-01B2-4570-9287-B7B7BC4ABDDD.jpeg
Still kicking after the carbon/LED burnt tip fiasco. Definitely a hardy coral and seems to be growing back finally.
Wow. I am with @Scdell that this thing looks crazy happy. For the life of me, I don't even remember what polyp extension looks like anymore.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sept Pic. original plug is completely covered at this point. while not great, it is a better pic than last time lol

IMG_0693.jpg
Yours has a very pastel color -- although maybe under white light that is what all of ours look like.

What kind nutrient levels do you run for NO3 and PO4? Is this a Zeo system?

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I am with @Scdell that this thing looks crazy happy. For the life of me, I don't even remember what polyp extension looks like anymore.
Haha thanks!

What’s funny is I’m currently struggling with a Greg C Efflo I got from Adam a little over a month ago. The tips seem to be slowly dying but everything including nutrients ( NO3: 18-19 PO4: 0.13-0.18) has been steady since I got it. Definitely has me down but I’m thinking LED burn even though it’s on the same rack as the Bonfire. I guess I’ll just keep looking at my Bonfire polyps to keep me happy.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks!

What’s funny is I’m currently struggling with a Greg C Efflo I got from Adam a little over a month ago. The tips seem to be slowly dying but everything including nutrients ( NO3: 18-19 PO4: 0.13-0.18) has been steady since I got it. Definitely has me down but I’m thinking LED burn even though it’s on the same rack as the Bonfire. I guess I’ll just keep looking at my Bonfire polyps to keep me happy.
Trying to recall Adam's @Battlecorals nutrient range but cannot. But I was running those numbers for years and still did not have PE like that. Even my WD is bare. Grows like mad but no PE. Some folks blame my coral beauty... could be true.

Do you have a lot of fish in that system driving your bioload?

Back