Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t know you were the time police. I admit I fell asleep a few times and posted my picture early in the morning and used August as my skip. Lots more people then me later then me and missing months. I have been told by Adam or Branching Hammer that I’m out. I personally feel as long as you get a picture in a reasonable time it’s okay, I understand wanting to wait till the end of the month and life gets busy.
Remember...... This is all for fun. Nothing more, nothing less. There's too much bickering on too many threads on here. Let's not bring that into this one.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remember...... This is all for fun. Nothing more, nothing less. There's too much bickering on too many threads on here. Let's not bring that into this one.
I agree I want to do this for fun as rarely I grow a coral out for pleasure. My frags still kicking and that what matters to me. Some people just get way into time, big difference being a day and even a few hours late and not even posting for months then saying here ya go. Let’s all relax and enjoy the contest and race as there still a ways to go!

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty easy to see if someone posted on time or not. I don’t see how the honor system applies here. If it was a true honor system, then there would be no need for pictures, we would all just tell each other how much our coral grew and the one with the most stated growth at the end would be the winner.

Right now, it looks like a race between you, @Kattkrazie, and @ReefBeta to me.
I really don't care where I am in this. I got into this to see how my abilities compared to others. I'm in this for the fun of it. Let's keep it fun.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I want to do this for fun as rarely I grow a coral out for pleasure. My frags still kicking and that what matters to me. Some people just get way into time, big difference being a day and even a few hours late and not even posting for months then saying here ya go. Let’s all relax and enjoy the contest and race as there still a ways to go!
Yeah, from what I see you're a high end coral guy. It's kind of nice just doing something just to do it. No stress, no pressure.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really don't care where I am in this. I got into this to see how my abilities compared to others. I'm in this for the fun of it. Let's keep it fun.
Comparing frags, growth and coloration is always my favorite part of doing grow out contests.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well even though my Bonfire "jumper" has been converted to reactor media, I still intend to tag along.

I'll just substitute in my current favorite colored frag which I also picked up last April. It was an "affordable" 1/2" piece of BK Chem Fruit Loops which has really picked up steam.

Evening blues and for some reason the filter turned the thing too orange. It is much more yellow/green/orange but whatever. It outshines everything else I have in that tank.

Happy New Year everybody!

IMG-5660.jpg

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well even though my Bonfire "jumper" has been converted to reactor media, I still intend to tag along.

I'll just substitute in my current favorite colored frag which I also picked up last April. It was an "affordable" 1/2" piece of BK Chem Fruit Loops which has really picked up steam.

Evening blues and for some reason the filter turned the thing too orange. It is much more yellow/green/orange but whatever. It outshines everything else I have in that tank.

Happy New Year everybody!

IMG-5660.jpg
You're too much. I love your outlook. Keep it up. BTW, you can't be all that bad with a name like Scott. It's mine also.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s pretty easy to see if someone posted on time or not. I don’t see how the honor system applies here. If it was a true honor system, then there would be no need for pictures, we would all just tell each other how much our coral grew and the one with the most stated growth at the end would be the winner.

I agree with you except I’m still in the race also. I haven’t missed posting a pic. But here’s a refresher… lol

Attachments

• 5CACC9D2-A4F2-40EF-A089-BDC12BCB3886.jpeg
    5CACC9D2-A4F2-40EF-A089-BDC12BCB3886.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 48

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t believe I’ve missed 2 months

edit: I just went back thru and August is the only month I missed.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I admit I fell asleep a few times and posted my picture early in the morning and used August as my skip. Lots more people then me later then me and missing months. I have been told by Adam or Branching Hammer that I’m out. I personally feel as long as you get a picture in a reasonable time it’s okay, I understand wanting to wait till the end of the month and life gets busy.
Hi everyone,

This thread will be used for monthly submissions of frag pictures. Please use the discussion thread here to talk about other details of the contest and husbandry items.

Here are the rules of the contest again for those who missed it. Please read them very carefully in order to make sure you are not disqualified from the contest in any way.
1) Competition will last for 1 year (365 days from when you receive your piece)
2) The 1st month submission must be within 3 days of receiving your frag.
3) The last submission must be 365 days from receiving your frag or sooner. NOT later
4) A ruler must be against your frag for every months’ submission picture.
5) A picture must be submitted by the end of the month, every month. You can submit anytime during the month but it must be submitted by the last day of the month. You are allowed to miss 1 month of entries. If you miss more than 1 month you will be disqualified.
6) You can remove the coral from the plug and mount it anywhere that you choose. If placed on a disk it can be moved around the tank.
7) Adam from @Battlecorals will decide the winner based on growth
8) The prize will be based on the number of entries. The prize will be split and will be a gift certificate to Battlecorals. Each piece will pay 1st and 2nd place with a 75/25 split.

Feel free to PM me or @Battlecorals with any questions regarding the contest, or post them in the discussion thread here.

Nice edit on your post. :)

Yes, you are correct that others have missed more than once as well. Then there are those of us who haven't missed at all and those that have missed only once. So, tell us which of the rules of the contest are just guidelines and which ones are hard rules. You could have posted anytime during the 31 days of the months that you missed. If you chose to wait until the last minute to post, isn't that your fault?

I posted the rules post again. I couldn't find anywhere that it said by the last day of the month plus or minus 9 hours or less. Yes, this is suppose to be fun, but if you want to be eligible for the BattleCorals gift certificate, shouldn't you have to follow the rules of the contest?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, are you saying you don't want the prize if you were declared the winner? If this were just for bragging rights, I could see your point, but unlike several in this contest, I and others don't sell corals as well. I would like to win the gift certificate, especially since I lost 4 SPS during the time of this contest.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe I’ve missed 2 months

edit: I just went back thru and August is the only month I missed.
Sorry if it seemed like I was saying that only those three had posted on time. There are quite a few others that are still in it, including myself. I just think that those three are showing the best growth right now. Hope you continue to show growth as well. Good luck! This applies to you too @Biggestfish!!

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, are you saying you don't want the prize if you were declared the winner? If this were just for bragging rights, I could see your point, but unlike several in this contest, I and others don't sell corals as well. I would like to win the gift certificate, especially since I lost 4 SPS during the time of this contest.
I don't need the prize. I don't sell corals either. Don't get me wrong here, I'm quite happy I'm doing good with this. I was in the last one and mine RTN'd in a few months.
So...... I've made strides along the way and that's what I care about.

As far as rules go......... Yes I believe that everyone should follow the rules, that's what they are their for. Otherwise why have them??? Along those lines it is Branchinghammer that's responsible for holding that part up. Not individual contest individuals. If he isn't going to do it then we may need to get up with Adam to put another person in charge. Again ...... That's part of the "rules"

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't need the prize. I don't sell corals either. Don't get me wrong here, I'm quite happy I'm doing good with this. I was in the last one and mine RTN'd in a few months.
So...... I've made strides along the way and that's what I care about.

As far as rules go......... Yes I believe that everyone should follow the rules, that's what they are their for. Otherwise why have them??? Along those lines it is Branchinghammer that's responsible for holding that part up. Not individual contest individuals. If he isn't going to do it then we may need to get up with Adam to put another person in charge. Again ...... That's part of the "rules"

Not trying to argue with you, but weren't you the one who initially said that based on the December entries, it looks like there are only 15-18 of us left? I don't "need" the prized either, but if I did win, I would take it.

As far as the rules go, where in the rules does it say that a contestant can't point out when another contestant didn't follow the rules? @The Camaro Show indicated in his post that he thought he was still in the contest and others were out based on the number of December entries. At least that is how I interpreted it. All I did was point out that he hadn't made the required posts either.

Also, I am not disqualifying anyone. Nor do I think that is the job of @BranchingHammer or Adam. Adam determines the winner based on growth. If someone fails to meet the conditions of the contest, they are disqualified. Neither me nor anyone else disqualified them, they did it to themselves.

I think we are all adults here and really don't need @BranchingHammer to have to monitor this by himself. If someone didn't follow the rules of the contest, it's pretty clear and easy to see.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to argue with you, but weren't you the one who initially said that based on the December entries, it looks like there are only 15-18 of us left? I don't "need" the prized either, but if I did win, I would take it.

As far as the rules go, where in the rules does it say that a contestant can't point out when another contestant didn't follow the rules? @The Camaro Show indicated in his post that he thought he was still in the contest and others were out based on the number of December entries. At least that is how I interpreted it. All I did was point out that he hadn't made the required posts either.

Also, I am not disqualifying anyone. Nor do I think that is the job of @BranchingHammer or Adam. Adam determines the winner based on growth. If someone fails to meet the conditions of the contest, they are disqualified. Neither me nor anyone else disqualified them, they did it to themselves.

I think we are all adults here and really don't need @BranchingHammer to have to monitor this by himself. If someone didn't follow the rules of the contest, it's pretty clear and easy to see.
All I was trying to see is how many people were left in the contest. Curiosity........
I don't see what all the big deal is here. You're the one pointing fingers. Yet you say your not trying to disqualify anyone?
If someone breaks the rules and needs to be disqualified then who's job is it if it isn't Branchinghammer's or Adam's????? Do you think someone will just admit they broke them and offer to get out?? You're not making a lick of sense with this. I'm done arguing the point.
This is for fun. Nothing more, nothing less. The prize is a nice little extra, kinda like icing on the cake.
Geez, lighten up.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.2%
Back