Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's great if disqualified participants want to keep engaging in the thread and posting their progress pics. That's part of the fun. But I do agree with @IslandLifeReef that each person knows whether the they've followed the rules or not. No one needs to tell them.

I think we have a leader so that Adam doesn't have to disqualify anyone. Wouldn't be good for PR and future business from whomever he boots out. I still have confidence that Branchinghammer will pop in at some point in the next few months to wrangle us outlaws. We've still got several months to go and anything can happen...

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I was trying to see is how many people were left in the contest. Curiosity........
I don't see what all the big deal is here. You're the one pointing fingers. Yet you say your not trying to disqualify anyone?
If someone breaks the rules and needs to be disqualified then who's job is it if it isn't Branchinghammer's or Adam's????? Do you think someone will just admit they broke them and offer to get out?? You're not making a lick of sense with this. I'm done arguing the point.
This is for fun. Nothing more, nothing less. The prize is a nice little extra, kinda like icing on the cake.
Geez, lighten up.

And it is your job to tell people what they can and can't post? I replied to @The Camaro Show. You decided to tell me it wasn't my job. All of the contestants have an interest in who is following the rules and who isn't. Again, I don't see the harm in pointing out if a rule has been broken. Do you really expect @BranchingHammer to review all 500+ posts and all future posts to determine who followed all of the rules.

If the only reason someone is in this is to post pictures of their coral and compare to how others are doing, they could do that without being in the contest.

If I was simply some random person who showed up to the thread and started pointing out who had broken a rule, I could see your point. But, as a contestant, I am an interested party. Only those who followed the rules should be eligible for the prize. Once the prize is awarded, it is to late to point out problems.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it is your job to tell people what they can and can't post? I replied to @The Camaro Show. You decided to tell me it wasn't my job. All of the contestants have an interest in who is following the rules and who isn't. Again, I don't see the harm in pointing out if a rule has been broken. Do you really expect @BranchingHammer to review all 500+ posts and all future posts to determine who followed all of the rules.

If the only reason someone is in this is to post pictures of their coral and compare to how others are doing, they could do that without being in the contest.

If I was simply some random person who showed up to the thread and started pointing out who had broken a rule, I could see your point. But, as a contestant, I am an interested party. Only those who followed the rules should be eligible for the prize. Once the prize is awarded, it is to late to point out problems.
It's not your job. It's Branchinghammer's. As far as having him go back through the post???
Well it's his job to be monitoring this thread and making sure everyone is doing the correct things. He bailed on this thread when his coral RTN'd.
Don't sit there and point out who's doing things wrong and yet do things wrong yourself.
Again rules are rules. And again I'm not going to argue with you.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not your job. It's Branchinghammer's. As far as having him go back through the post???
Well it's his job to be monitoring this thread and making sure everyone is doing the correct things. He bailed on this thread when his coral RTN'd.
Don't sit there and point out who's doing things wrong and yet do things wrong yourself.
Again rules are rules. And again I'm not going to argue with you.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

What rule did I break?

Where does it say that a contestant can't point out when a rule was broken?

You said before that these things run on the honor system. Then you said that people who don't follow the rules aren't going to disqualify themselves.

Again, I am a contestant. I can point out if a rule was broken. No, I can't disqualify anyone, but I can point out when a rule was broken. I have a vested interest in this as all who paid to enter do.

Obviously @The Camaro Show doesn't think he did anything wrong by posting past the deadline.

@Scdell, do you think that someone who broke the rules should be allowed to win the contest?

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rule did I break?

Where does it say that a contestant can't point out when a rule was broken?

You said before that these things run on the honor system. Then you said that people who don't follow the rules aren't going to disqualify themselves.

Again, I am a contestant. I can point out if a rule was broken. No, I can't disqualify anyone, but I can point out when a rule was broken. I have a vested interest in this as all who paid to enter do.

Obviously @The Camaro Show doesn't think he did anything wrong by posting past the deadline.

@Scdell, do you think that someone who broke the rules should be allowed to win the contest?
I'm done with this. How many times must I say it??

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I lost my frag in the shipment and am still following.
However, rules are rules or why have them.
I was in it for the fun.
Come on guys and gals lets keep it fun.
Their are so mamy post on this site where people just seem to want to argue about everything.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I lost my frag in the shipment and am still following.
However, rules are rules or why have them.
I was in it for the fun.
Come on guys and gals lets keep it fun.
Their are so mamy post on this site where people just seem to want to argue about everything.
Really.... It's taking the fun out of this.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I admit I fell asleep and posted my picture early in the morning and I used My skip one month . My pictures where always taken during the month required. I’m also pretty sure that only happened once though. Lots more people then me later then me and missing months. I have not been told by Adam or Branching Hammer that I’m out. I personally feel as long as you get a picture in a reasonable time it’s okay, I understand wanting to wait till the end of the month and life gets busy. Every Grow out contest is the same, people post late people forget people don’t post for months then someone points it out and try’s to get them out. It’s the same thing. Just post your coral picture and let’s see how it did that month that’s what matters. Posting something after midnight shouldn’t disqualify you as it’s been happening for years. Maybe we need to go back through every single person and check their post time and date because there’s many more then just me. My frags still kicking and thats what should matter. With the amount of coral I buy every month a battlebox is nice but isn’t going to make the difference to me nor should we get so into if the winner deserves it and followed all the rules. I did this for fun as I rarely grow out for pleasure.

I see another edit. So, you don't think that the rules are the rules. I get it. If this is just for fun and you don't care about winning, then why are you so adamant that the rules shouldn't apply to you? Why not just post your picture as you see fit and follow along knowing that you can't win the prize if the prize isn't part of the fun?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wile E Coyote No GIF by Looney Tunes

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on reefers, lets not taint the contest and stop having fun. I am not even in this contest and I still watch the thread because I enjoy watching the corals of other reefers grow. :)

Their are some great looking photos and growth so far. Keep up the great work contestants. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I lost my coral a few months ago. Not glad the coral died, but glad I'm not in the middle of this. Grow out contests aren't just for the prize...it's a learning experience. The person who wins gets to tell everyone what they did with their system and people learn from it. What about putting everything you've learned up until this point into practice to grow the healthiest and biggest coral...? I wasn't in a competition with anyone else, I was competing against my past self. Remember why we are here in the first place, reefers.

That being said...can we please get an update of who is still in the competition? Seems like something that should be posted monthly like who is in and who is out.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in. I'll drop my January pic now. Finally got my nitrates back down following the nutrient spike while I was on vacation. Nitrates spiked to 42 in September and are now down to 3. The Bonfire grew a quarter inch since November's pic after getting things under control.

46CEDB1D-DF75-4829-919C-F091D18E6CAD.jpeg

And back in water:

598DD38F-3E2A-4DAA-B44F-C6D0D7EB7E11.jpeg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on reefers, lets not taint the contest and stop having fun. I am not even in this contest and I still watch the thread because I enjoy watching the corals of other reefers grow. :)

Their are some great looking photos and growth so far. Keep up the great work contestants. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can't we have fun and still follow the rules?

IMO, allowing contestants to select which rules they are going to follow and which ones they aren't taints the contest.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't we have fun and still follow the rules?

IMO, allowing contestants to select which rules they are going to follow and which ones they aren't taints the contest.
I don't have a dog in this fight as I am not a contestant, I simply just want all of you reefers to have fun and not forget to have fun in this contest. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back