Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I lost my coral a few months ago. Not glad the coral died, but glad I'm not in the middle of this. Grow out contests aren't just for the prize...it's a learning experience. The person who wins gets to tell everyone what they did with their system and people learn from it. What about putting everything you've learned up until this point into practice to grow the healthiest and biggest coral...? I wasn't in a competition with anyone else, I was competing against my past self. Remember why we are here in the first place, reefers.

That being said...can we please get an update of who is still in the competition? Seems like something that should be posted monthly like who is in and who is out.
I'm still in. Haven't missed yet!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in. I'll drop my January pic now. Finally got my nitrates back down following the nutrient spike while I was on vacation. Nitrates spiked to 42 in September and are now down to 3. The Bonfire grew a quarter inch since November's pic after getting things under control.

46CEDB1D-DF75-4829-919C-F091D18E6CAD.jpeg

And back in water:

598DD38F-3E2A-4DAA-B44F-C6D0D7EB7E11.jpeg
If those coralites ever take off, that is going to be one AWESOME looking coral!!!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in. I'll drop my January pic now. Finally got my nitrates back down following the nutrient spike while I was on vacation. Nitrates spiked to 42 in September and are now down to 3. The Bonfire grew a quarter inch since November's pic after getting things under control.

46CEDB1D-DF75-4829-919C-F091D18E6CAD.jpeg

And back in water:

598DD38F-3E2A-4DAA-B44F-C6D0D7EB7E11.jpeg
Some of the best colors in the contest so far.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no time like the present to post my January picture. I think there is a little measurable growth since I posted last. Things seem to be taking off since I made corrections after losing 4 corals (thought it was 5, but one came back stronger than it started) several months ago. I even lost the tips on my Bonsai, Yellowtips, and a little tip and base recession on the Bonfire. Don't know if I can catch up to @Kattkrazie or some of the others that have great growth, but I'll try.

Ruler picture

IMG_0924.JPG

Picture with polyp extension.

IMG_0923.JPG

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...gone for 48 hrs and miss 5 pages of comments. :D

FWIW, I think the intent of the monthly picture is to track progress and ensure no one is ghosting. This is my 1st grow out contest and I love following along and seeing everyone's monthly pics. It feels wrong to kick someone out for posting an hour or a day late because I don't think that's the "spirit" of the rule.

I haven't missed a month yet and don't plan to through April. I can donate my mulligan to @The Camaro Show . If we're getting super technical, I don't think it was explicitly stated that we aren't allowed to do that!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, I think the intent of the monthly picture is to track progress and ensure no one is ghosting. This is my 1st grow out contest and I love following along and seeing everyone's monthly pics. It feels wrong to kick someone out for posting an hour or a day late because I don't think that's the "spirit" of the rule.

I haven't missed a month yet and don't plan to through April. I can donate my mulligan to @The Camaro Show . If we're getting super technical, I don't think it was explicitly stated that we aren't allowed to do that!
Hi everyone,

This thread will be used for monthly submissions of frag pictures. Please use the discussion thread here to talk about other details of the contest and husbandry items.

Here are the rules of the contest again for those who missed it. Please read them very carefully in order to make sure you are not disqualified from the contest in any way.
1) Competition will last for 1 year (365 days from when you receive your piece)
2) The 1st month submission must be within 3 days of receiving your frag.
3) The last submission must be 365 days from receiving your frag or sooner. NOT later
4) A ruler must be against your frag for every months’ submission picture.
5) A picture must be submitted by the end of the month, every month. You can submit anytime during the month but it must be submitted by the last day of the month. You are allowed to miss 1 month of entries. If you miss more than 1 month you will be disqualified.
6) You can remove the coral from the plug and mount it anywhere that you choose. If placed on a disk it can be moved around the tank.
7) Adam from @Battlecorals will decide the winner based on growth
8) The prize will be based on the number of entries. The prize will be split and will be a gift certificate to Battlecorals. Each piece will pay 1st and 2nd place with a 75/25 split.

Feel free to PM me or @Battlecorals with any questions regarding the contest, or post them in the discussion thread here.

The rule is pretty clear. It was even underlined. So, what other rules don't need to be followed? By the way, three months were either late or missed.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rule is pretty clear. It was even underlined. So, what other rules don't need to be followed? By the way, three months were either late or missed.
Geeze give it up! Please.......
If you have a problem with someone PM Branchinghammer. Don't do it here.

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be like getting pulled over for doing 70 in a 65 on the highway :oops:. Sure it was the "rule" but we are being super sticklers at this point. If he posted in month 1 and then the winning colony at the end, I'd feel different. We can clearly see his same frag trending through the months which is the intent of the rule.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And it is your job to tell people what they can and can't post? I replied to @The Camaro Show. You decided to tell me it wasn't my job. All of the contestants have an interest in who is following the rules and who isn't. Again, I don't see the harm in pointing out if a rule has been broken. Do you really expect @BranchingHammer to review all 500+ posts and all future posts to determine who followed all of the rules.

If the only reason someone is in this is to post pictures of their coral and compare to how others are doing, they could do that without being in the contest.

If I was simply some random person who showed up to the thread and started pointing out who had broken a rule, I could see your
No one else is having a issue with it or making a mountain out of a molehill. I’m only seeing one month I was late on and I used my skip which we all get. It’s not very nice to try to get someone out and go around pointing fingers.

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It'd be like getting pulled over for doing 70 in a 65 on the highway :oops:. Sure it was the "rule" but we are being super sticklers at this point. If he posted in month 1 and then the winning colony at the end, I'd feel different. We can clearly see his same frag trending through the months which is the intent of the rule.
This is very accurate, thank you very much

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thank you! Being a golfer that means a lot!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geeze give it up! Please.......
If you have a problem with someone PM Branchinghammer. Don't do it here.

I notice that neither of you will answer which rules are ok to follow and which ones are not. I am allowed to express my opinion here just like you. If you want it to stop, then stop telling me that I am wrong for saying that we should all follow the rules.

@Scdell, didn't you jump in when my post about missing wasn't directed to you? It takes two to argue.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one else is having a issue with it or making a mountain out of a molehill. I’m only seeing one month I was late on and I used my skip which we all get. It’s not very nice to try to get someone out and go around pointing fingers.
I already posted which ones you missed. You posted your July picture in August. You skipped August. You posted your October picture in November. That is three misses. It's not very nice to ignore the rules and then try to blame others for your actions. You had 31 days in each of those months to post. You chose to wait until the very end. You were late twice and skipped once.

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I already posted which ones you missed. You posted your July picture in August. You skipped August. You posted your October picture in November. That is three misses. It's not very nice to ignore the rules and then try to blame others for your actions. You had 31 days in each of those months to post. You chose to wait until the very end. You were late twice and skipped once.
We are allowed to skip once. I’m done with you on this topic. I am in until Branching hammer or Adam’s says I’m not. I don’t have the time to keep going back and forth with you. You seem more interested in getting people out and bringing negativity to the site then growing your coral and having fun. The rules have not been heavily enforced and are loose that’s how they have been for many grow out contests. If they wanted them to be enforced then they needed to be that way from the start. Looks like your only goal is to thin the heard of the contest. Just to keep you happy, if I win I will donate 2 frags to the runner up and 3rd place and pay shipping myself if we are allowed to do that just to show im a team player and proud member of R2R.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe the intent of the rule was to have certain conditions that had to be met in order to qualify. If you meet all of the conditions, then you qualify. Maybe you could run the lottery. If I'm off by one or two numbers I should still win. If not, are you being super picky?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are allowed to skip once.
Yes, and you did that. You also posted late twice. What did it say in the rules? I have posted them twice already for easy access.

When you played competitive golf, did you make sure that your playing partners were following the rules. Wasn't that your duty to protect the integrity of the field?

Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and you did that. You also posted late twice. What did it say in the rules? I have posted them twice already for easy access.

When you played competitive golf, did you make sure that your playing partners were following the rules. Wasn't that your duty to protect the integrity of the field?
Are you sure you are both in the same time zone? I really feel like this should have been checked right away. It's very likely that, to one of you, it looks like a picture was posted after midnight (since the exact times disappear after a while), while to the other it was still well within the same day. I'm not trying to get involved in this, just putting something out there that could be a potential cause.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for ruining this thread and the solace it gives me and others. The one place on here where the bickering and plain ole BS didn't happen.
It takes two to Tango but only one to ruin the whole dance.
Congrats!

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is embarrassing. Can we please get back to enjoying the contest? There are so many other worse things in this world that it seems ridiculous to waste your time and energy arguing over this.

The majority of us are just having a good time trying to grow out an awesome frag and seeing how we measure up to the other skilled growers. If we happen to win, that will be icing on the cake.

Me personally, I am not worried that someone posted a day late a couple of times but I would also understand if they were disqualified for it. Either way it’s not worth my energy to get bent out of shape over.

I feel like Adam did us a favor to have this contest for us and this kind of behavior will sour any future grow out contests.

If @BranchingHammer has bailed on this thread, I’m willing to go thru and put together a list of all participants that I think are still eligible and if anyone is missed, they can point it out and we can look at it and add them if they should be there. If the participant feels that they should be eligible but the remaining group feels they should not, I can put an asterisk by their name and Adam can make the call. I can update the list at the end of each month so it’s easy to see who’s left. If everyone wants me to do that, just let me know.

Lets just have some fun! I’m about to step up my game for the last 4 months so everyone is just competing for 2nd place anyway :p

Back